Another noobcake question concerning gunslinging and gear

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by ulysses_s_grant, Dec 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ulysses_s_grant

ulysses_s_grant New Member

I searched the forum and I couldn't really find what I was looking for, so here goes.

I just started this game a few days ago. I rolled a human with a gunslinger bent -- firearms is almost maxed out, PE is pretty high, IN is pretty high for the gunsmithy schematics, and I have some random points in heal and persuasion.

I'm really digging that my style of play is actually viable, but I'm curious -- do I have to upgrade to plate mail or other "character breaking" type gear to be viable in the end game? In other words, is it possible for me to finish the game with my tuxedo and my bullet-deflecting chapeau? Are there clothing/armors that aren't medieval in nature that are effective as the game gets harder, or do I have to start wearing heavier armors if I want to survive?

Also, should I be putting points in dodge?

Thanks for any help.

Your future president,

Ulysses S. Grant

2. Sorg

Sorg Member

You can pretty much finish the game naked if you wanted :p

You don't "have" to do anything in Arcanum, as long as you're enjoying your character.

People here created some pretty wacky characters and finished the game just fine.

3. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

You might consider upgrading to something like a Suede Jacket that makes your character look like the city guards in Tarant.

You could also use something like Chain Mail Gloves or Dwarven Gauntlets since they won't change your sprite's appearance. But I guess that depends on how you feel about wearing metal gloves with a suit. You might also consider upgrading to Fine Stout Boots for another small boost to your armor rating.

But, like Sorg said, you can totally use whatever you prefer. I've had technologist characters get by just fine while wearing ordinary leather armor.

In your case, getting up to Expert in Dodge would be useful... but if you don't have three points to spare, you could probably fake it with one point and Apprentice training.

4. Sorg

Sorg Member

Lots of followers + persuasion, I think that's enough, is it not?

5. Sorg

Sorg Member

How easy would it be to do the pick pocket mastery quest :p

Our Host!