On a healing bug, and music editing.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Hamster Friend, Jul 10, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Hamster Friend

Hamster Friend New Member

First of all, I guess I gotta say hi to everyone. Now, on to the questions.

1. I've run into this weird bug that stops me from healing my gunslinger...with healing salves. It notably happened once or twice in the BMC mines, and after a few minutes into the Dredge I can't heal my PC with salves at all (nor can Jayna Stiles, or anyone else packing salves). Has anyone run into this before? Magic seems to work fine (even on someone with a high tech aptitude, via having Virgil repeatedly cast until he nails it).

2. How d'you properly edit music into the game? I've found the folder, I've switched other tracks in and renamed 'em but I can't seem to consistently get stuff to work (i.e. replacing "Kerghan" with the boss theme from Mega Man 4 works fine, but putting the Fountain of Dreams track there doesn't).

2.5. Was it right to ask Question #2 here or should that've been in the Modding section?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Are you sure they have the same name and format?

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

It's been 5 days already, the guy probably won't check back.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Five days isn't really that much, especially when the forum isn't the fastest one around. I myself keep checking threads in which I post for help on game forums for up to two weeks before I lose hope and stop visiting.

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

In this you may be an exception, Muro.

If Hamster Friend is as hooked on instant gratification as many people are, Drog Alt's suspicion may likely prove true.

6. Hamster Friend

Yep, I've made sure the files have the same name and format when I put 'em in Arcanum's music folder. Around half the time, the tracks I put in there work.

7. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Boo?! Is that you?!

8. Hamster Friend

Naw, it was a nickname I picked up years ago when I used a Hamtaro avatar at our local L5R forums. I never even thought of the possible BG2 reference until now. :p

9. jca

jca New Member

I once replaced all Arcanum music with Conan: The Barbarian and some Conan: The Destroyer movies soundtrack or pieces of them. Everything worked just fine and gave the game a bit different feeling.

I think you may need to have the same bitrate, etc too. The mp3 are 128kbps constant bitrate, 44100Hz, 16-bit and stereo. You can check the mp3 with winamp.. right click a track from the playlist->view file info. dBpoweramp can convert your mp3 to the correct format.

10. Hamster Friend

Wow, that definitely helps a lot. Thanks, I'll give that a try once I reinstall this game.

11. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

12. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Make sure it's no lower than 40 Kbps, 22,050 HZ (Stereo or Mono) for .mp3 formats. I am unsure as to what the ceiling limit is before Arcanum stops recognizing the .mp3

40 KBPS w/ 22050 HZ seems to be the lowest (?) quality that I can get it to before Arcanum stops recognizing my sound files retaining both (mostly) the original quality and the lowest file size. I prefer .mp3 to .wav for size reasons, for Arcanum sounds (music and sound effect).

13. chuft

chuft New Member

I recently reinstalled the game, this time using the high resolution patch, and have run into this problem for the first time, although I see others have run into it in the past:

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/view ... 7746#97746

So far the only thing that seems to get rid of it is to rest overnight at an inn and recover hit points that way, then the salves start working again.

So far I have not run across any solutions to this bug on forums online.

Strange I never had it before this install. I have spent endless hours playing this game on several machines and never run into the healing salves bug before.

14. chuft

chuft New Member

Also I noticed if I completely leave the map, it resets the bug. For example if it happens in the Black Mountain Mines, and I use a scroll of Exiting to teleport to the surface, it resets and I can heal (myself or the follower, whoever happens to be suffering from the bug at that moment).

Going up the stairs to a different level of the Black Mountain Mines does not fix it. I have to exit the mines completely.

Our Host!