Arc Editor difficulty

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Alpha the White, Oct 16, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Alpha the White

Alpha the White New Member

I have recently started Arcanum, and took the time to make sure I had the arc editor (for repair skills and levelling my followers, of course!).

It's worked pretty well so far, until it stopped.

The problem:

I can open the save game, and type in the correct character name, but it loads the wrong character.
    Edit: the character is not a startup character, but rather has bizarre numbers for all his stats. Is it possible the editor is suddenly confused as to which entries are which for the main character? It reads Sogg and Virgil fine...

For a couple of the savegames will just run through the entire save and fail to find the character.

The savegames are correct, as they load perfectly fine in the game.

My thoughts:

When I was first looking to edit my characters, I tried doing the hex editing myself(what a pain). I discovered that my characters' data was actually in the .tfai file rather than the .tfaf file. This shouldn't be a problem, just open the tfai file with the arceditor...
    except that now the arc editor is set to only look for .tfaf files, and there is no alternative option.

Edit: put the kibosh on that idea, I accessed the file and it didn't find any character at all for it.

That's my only thought on the cause of the problem, does anyone have any better idea than I?

p.s. I did do a search, didn't find anyone with the same problem(or a solution that I could apply here). I have one more thing I'm gonna try, so I'll keep ya'll posted.[edit: didn't work]
    p.p.s. Hi for the first time!

[edit]I have tried to delete and replace the arc editor program several times, but it does the same thing, and even remembers where the savegames are stored. So somewhere on my computer all of the arc editor's preferences have been saved...

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Really? They've always been in my 'modules\saves' folder for me.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I've never seen files in the temp folder either, but you may have stumbled upon something I haven't.

Sounds to me like your save is corrupted. I don't know if ArcEditor did it, or you did it with ArcEditor (trying to set your stats too high will do that), or it was unrelated, but I think your save is hosed.

ArcEditor provides no means of repairing corrupt saves. Once an Arcanum save is corrupted, it's destroyed permanently. Sorry.

4. Alpha the White

Alpha the White New Member

Yeah, if I could find those, I wouldn't need to edit them...just delete them and let the program generate new ones. I'm still looking...

The arc editor requires you to throw some files into the system folder...is it possible those files have something to do with the preference preservation? I don't know much about the system files I'm afraid...

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would suggest doing a temp file clean up, and see if the preferences are still saved.

6. shupbeav

shupbeav New Member

I had a similar problem. I found that you have to level up a character before using the editor on them. This even counts for yourself.

7. mlh

mlh New Member

Sorry to grave dig, but I have the exact same problem. I did a lot of experimenting, even starting new characters, but with the same strange result. The save files will load in the game flawlessly, but when opened in arceditor, the main characters stats will be messed up. I made multiple saves of the same area but each time the main character would be some random mumbo-jumbo, or of a completely different character. (One time it was identical to Worthless Mutt's stats) All the follower's stats work fine. I have the 1.0.7.4 patch, most updated unofficial patch, and high resolution installed. I installed these before starting a game. Anyone have any clue whats going on?

Edit: using Win 7 32-bit if that helps.

8. mlh

mlh New Member

Update!

After further extensive testing on a second Win7 Laptop which had the same bugged results, I dug up an old windows 2000 PC, transferred arceditor and the save files, and voila, everything opened perfectly.

Conclusion: Possible Arceditor incompatibility with Win7?

Our Host!