I knew there were Russians... but... the French?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, Oct 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

So, evidently the French like Arcanum as well. To the point that someone even seems to have expanded on DU's AMTUT. Anyway, here's some French sites. I'm going to look them over for content that might be worth adding here (with their approval, but of course).

If anyone can actually read French, and would like to lend a hand, it would be appreciated.

Arcanum.FR
    French Arcanum Forum

Okay, so it's only two sites. Most of the others were actually about Cathedrals, and stupid things like that.

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

The french arcanum forum hasn't had an active post in over 2 months. (Discounting the edited 'nevermind' in the 'Problems' thread)

And arcanum.fr was last updated over a year ago telling people to go here and to the codex. (Terra-Arcanum propose également des liens vers différents patchs, modules et compagnie. Translates to: TA offers links for different patches, modules, and company). Their forums though seem to be as active as ours.

It's 2:30am and I'm not going to attempt to translate the entire site. The site seems fairly useless, but the forums are interesting.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The fact that there is a dozen or so French Arcanum modules in our download section always made me think that France is one of the Arcanum bastions thorough the world.

4. OdiProfanumVulgus

OdiProfanumVulgus New Member

I can read French quite well actually, so if you need some help I'd be glad to lend you both my hands.

I've known the websites you're talking about for years, they have been quite useful in my journey through Arcanum, providing many tips and advices I would not have gotten elsewhere.

On a side note, the forum belongs to a larger website, called JoL, which stands for Jeux Online (Games Online). It gathers many forums for various games. It's a very large website, which game developpers often use to speak with their fans.

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

So is this actually France, or is it a former colony? I'm curious as to whether many of these French Players are from Europe or Quebec/Louisiana.

6. OdiProfanumVulgus

Mainly France I guess. As far as I know, there is no other specific geographic area than our dear home country involved in the Arcanum websites above-mentioned... maybe a few people from Quebec or Belgium. Who knows, these guys are awkward, and tend to speak a dialect that we, civilized people from the Great and Divine Paris, sometimes nearly understand.

Oh, and feel free to correct the mistakes I've most probably made. In fact, I'd be more than grateful if you were so kind as to do so.

7. OdiProfanumVulgus

Sure, as long as it's not too long and is completely unrelated to any kind of hentai dialogue.

Although I doubt there are as many French Arcanum players as English ones. In fact, I feel like I'll mostly be translating for myself, and that's it.

Anyway, I'd be glad to help. It would be a nice, useful and somehow altruistic exercice.

PS : Thanks for the protip about comas :)
    I don't know why, but I'm quite sure the underlined sentence is incorrect.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I thought that might be the case as well, but the utter lack of French folk on the forum always baffled me.

9. OdiProfanumVulgus

Your sentence is just as much French as "Me loves kittens because have cats of a great size ears" is English. Up to your appraisement.

To demonstrate the desire of active Arcanum communites all over the globe (French, Czech, Russian, American, etc.) to obtain the source code of the game by the same name, so as to continue their modification efforts of their favorite Victorian steampunk computer game.

Translation spell

Afin de montrer le désir des communautés actives liées à Arcanum partout dans le monde (Françaises, Tchèques, Russes, Américaines, etc) afin d'obtenir le code source du jeu du même nom, afin qu'elles puissent continuer leurs efforts de modification sur leur jeu d'ordinateur steampunk et Victorien favori.

Truth is, I'd need a context to translate in a more elegant way. Even in English it doesn't sound like a normal sentence to me.
    Since it's not a novel or anything, I changed some stuff in the translation, so it ends up being understandable.

I'm afraid I don't have any microphone, or any sort of device that would allow me to speak with you, although I would obviously be able to hold a conversation. Oh, and do I have to remember you I've got not idea about modding whatsoever ?

@Dark Fool : French people is not a very gifted one when it comes to english or any sort of language. I think that's why they don't pop up on this most appealing forum :( Hopefully, I'm not really French.

10. OdiProfanumVulgus

Man 1 - Google translator 0

Ready for the next round, whenever you need it.

11. OdiProfanumVulgus

Hum... why not, if I don't have to get into any sort of modding. If you could extract the text from the module, and I guess that should not be too difficult, and give it to me, I'd be glad to translate it.

As far as I remember, some of the modules were made by a pretty clever guy who knew a lot about modding. Like many a brave, he has vanished from the Internet.

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

French and English should be uppercase.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

rroyo hasn't vanished from the Internet. He's still live and kickin', but simply doesn't have the possibility to be as active nowadays as he used to be. We can but hope that it will change.

Also, having the French mods translated into English would be simply awesome.

14. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

15. OdiProfanumVulgus

Hey !

I'm not home right now. Actually, I'm on holiday for a whole week and the only kind of electronic device I have access to is a nearly rusted computer, which is not even mine.

I hope I will be able to translate the module on this laptop... I am eager to begin this geat task !

Nobody is worth a double post

The work is in progress. It will take some time, since there are just so many dialogs to translate... Do not expect the first module any time soon, but keep in mind one day you will wake up, turn on your computer and find something new in the download section. Not a patch nor a soundtrack. A whole, shiny and glistening Arcanum module.

Hope these future prospects make your life brighter.

16. OdiProfanumVulgus

Turning the normal questlog I have already translated into a dumb one, without refering to the French dumb questlog, would be perfect, considering how poor the French dumb questlog is.

Let me show you two French lines, a normal one and a dumb one, translated of course.

"According to the innkeeper, XXX is a drunkard"
    "Innkeeper say, XXX be a drunkard"

If you're completly lost though, allright, I'll translate the two dumb files.

On a side note, I have forgotten to tell you that game_rd_npc_f2f, game_rd_npc_f2m, game_rd_npc_m2f, game_rd_npc_m2m, are all the same, but I have only translated the first file.

Do you think we should consider asking the French modder if we're allowed to publish his translated module ? Assuming he's still hanging around on the French forums...

Our Host!