They Call Me Teapot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, Oct 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

So, have any of you experimented with making biodiesel from WVO? I've been staring at it pretty hard, and am planning to start once I have the funds to buy the equipment (barrels and such) I need.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Keep us informed, this can be good to know once Peak Oil starts hitting us hard, WWIII is fought over the resources that can still be acquired and I'll be wearing a one-sleeved leather jacket fighting hooligans over fuel in the Scandinavian wasteland.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I always thought making biodiesel was a lot like brewing your own beer, in how it was intended to get you a lot of nice stuff cheap, and usually turned out to produce something that you can't really drink or power your car with.

At least once a year I hear about some other friend of a friend who got into making his own beer, and how he's really into it, pulling together some cool recipes. It usually fades some time after the final mention of how it's all set up and ready to be tasted soon. Then the evident failure rings with silence, the attempt not really mentioned unless I actually ask about it, the answer more often then not being that "it didn't quite work out".

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

My dad used to make his own beer. It was pretty damn good.
    Now, biodiesel is definitely a wave of the future. If it's properly made, there's nothing stopping one from filling their diesel-powered vehicle with it. That, and it smells like french fries...or whatever your oil was used to cook.
    I wanted to convert my cordoba to biodiesel before I sold it. That would've been great. I could've filled my tank for less than 15 dollars. As it stands now, though, I bought a ford taurus that apparently had a weak transmission and it crapped out on me this past saturday. I've been waiting all week to hear from my garage of choice about how much it'll cost me. I bought the damn thing for 600 dollars (used car, owner wanted to get rid of it). I don't know. I've been riding my bike all week.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Some of my friends actually own a pub and they brew their own beer at home. Built taps into fridges and all sorts of things. They create new recipes all the time and their end products are really good. So good in fact they actually sell it at their pub along with the usual beers etc. Lately they are talking about making vodka so I wonder how that will go.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Zanza is in Australia, so it is entirely plausible they would enact prohibition if somebody so much as threw up.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Made my own mead once. Tasted like rancid rhinoceros urine.

8. Dead Bill

Dead Bill New Member

Not just like Rhino Piss, it was "Rancid" Rhino Piss. I think the latter two words would have sufficed although I am unsure of the grounding your post has there as I'm sure you have never partaken in the drinking of real Rhino Piss. If you have then fair play to you!
    Bit of advise, sometimes a shorter, more "peppy" detail can be just as amusing and will more than do the job. Example: It tasted like cat shit!

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

My dad brews a batch of beer every month. We've a lot on hand at all times, with 95% of it being home made. It is, in the opinions of those who like beer (I don't), quite excellent.

That's because Mead requires at least a year to sit and age before it can be drank. You made it what? A week? This was your own damn fault. Don't blame the Craft.

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I have no experience personally, but I once lived in a village of listless hippies who variously brewed beer and biodeisel with regular success. It can be done. Good luck, DF.

Our Host!