All-In-One Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by rroyo, Feb 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I write all my uni essays in comic sans.....

Alas you have seen through my ploy. Bookman old style looks good, its not possible to get a font that looks like it was hand written like in some of the books? Or am I thinking of a different game?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You're not mistaken. It is possible to have the same handwriting as the game books.

And - The notion of making the "short-stories" be hand-written like some of the game's books did occur to me but that quickly died due to the way the various scripts I tried left too many open-ended sentences.

3. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

it's mainly because those font scripts rarely have accurate punctuation

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Update:
    Went with a magick book in the Shrouded Hills temple idea for the interface.
    Used the "Quantum Leap" concept for the modules. Once you're there, you have to finish the module.
    The initial install of LDoS is complete,
    The rescript/rename is almost complete - I'm still finding things.
    The Arcanum to module and module to Arcanum teleports are working beautifully. All the followers get left behind.
    Disabled a return trip to a finished module. Too much of a chance of being permanently trapped there.
    The new loading screens are ready for use.
    And - Went with an in-game book display as a substitute for the end screens.

Arthgon is still reworking his stat-storing scripts, but otherwise, everything is starting to come together.

Arthgon: You have my deepest sympathies.
    Let me know if you start running low on asprin. I have an unopened bottle right here.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Update:
    Sent LDoS addition to Arthgon for stat-script installation. Unexpected conflicts between the modules' scripting and his stat-scripts have forced yet another revision. Says he's making progress. (Poor guy - I seem to have the easy job.)
    Added Vormantown.
    Puzzled out how to further minimize module impact by removing module-specific items like books, notes, keys, etc. during return to Shrouded Hills.
    Learned that journal entries cannot be removed - only struck out.
    Finally! figured out the scripting sequence needed to have end-of-adventure book display appear after PC returns to Shrouded Hills.
    Beginning installation of Buried Secrets.

6. redinstead

redinstead New Member

Genius Plan, I was planning to make a hack of Arcanum if I had time but this idea makes that pointless so now I'll start planning a separate module.

One thought though the illustration that you use on the book doesn't look like an Arcanum illustration, can you use a pre-existing Arcanum illustration or get someone to make one in the Arcanum style? I can draw on but I'm a bit busy at the mo so might take me a while... but I'm an anal b*****d for things like this ;)

7. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

The easiest and most obvious solution is to tele the PC between module maps, as you did with Vormantown.

However, as far as multiplayer is concerned, one would have to combine them into one map, which the Russian mod community has already done. They have a program designed specifically for this. When it comes to the WIP Coop Mod, any new maps you make I'd have to implement into the main map. I still haven't figured out how to do this, unfortunately. I'm mentioning it just to add something to keep in mind.

Also, in reference to Arthgons' stat recorder, I could whip up a new one like that which records both PC and NPC values and stores them in PC variable in the 500-600 range. Useful for dialogue convos. It'll be kind of like a C++ GET function except with PC/NPC stats.

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

Definitely :thumbup:

You are talking about UltimateArcanum module, right? Actually there is no such tool, because UltimateArcanum is using most of MultiArcanum files, including all-in-one merged map. :p

btw, last update was one month ago, does anybody know if Mr. rroyo is still working on it?

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Crypton: Yes he is.
    I got side-tracked for a couple weeks with a SysMetrix, but I'm down to just Time and Woodmere Race to add. (And Time looks like it's going to be a screaming bitch to integrate.)

RunAwayScientist: Thanks for the offer on the stat-storing! Unless a working way to store and restore the stats can be made, this project is doomed to be just a novelty. The modules are real game-breakers.
    One thing though - I'll only need it to store the PC's stats as all the followers get left behind during teleport.
    Since I doubt my free internet service is going to last much longer, get a hold of Arthgon. He has a copy with the first active module.

redinstead: Although I don't know if the picture I used was created by the Troika Team or not, it seems to have been around as long as the game. Perhaps it was a pre-release bit of art.
    At any rate, for the main game load screen it works well enough but I do wish I knew someone who could create other panels showing the opening scene of each module - like they do in some of the illustrated novels.

10. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

His link is still up. (http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/18/2103186//Storing.rar)

You can store PC stats in PC vars indefinitely. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. NPCs are another matter, however. Were you referring to NPCs, perhaps?

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Just to to be sure*: Which script number and PC Flag (Or perhaps is PC Variable better?) do I have start and stop? Thats because I want to be really sure that I am doing the right thing.

*I could not remember anymore, sorry about that.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/18/ ... rcanum.rar This is a better version for those who are interested.

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Small update -
    All the poser freebees I snagged over the past couple years finally paid off. Here's a very low-impact way to let players know they're not playing a stock game - Splash0 (And it does pop-up before the stock three.) :

[​IMG]

I'm currently hoping to dump the other ones I made in favor of this, but...
    I'm happy with the way everything came out except the word Deathmatch. No matter what I try, I just can't seem to get the word to look like it belongs on the book.

Anyone want to have a go at it?

13. Crypton

Crypton Member

Wow. Looks really great, good job!

About that deathmatch word, what about if you split it into two words, death and match below it, like this:

Code:
    Death
    Match

or you could simply rotate it, in some angle, so it will fit inside, like this:
    Code:
    D
      E
       A
        T
         H
          M
           A
            T
             C
              H

or just use smaller font size :D

14. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

I've an idea, if I could try with the images of the book and "Deathmatch" separately, I'll try breaking the word up and putting the two parts on in a curved fashion.

Our Host!