Who would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Zanza, Jun 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would love to see a Black Isle/Troika resurrection. Arcanum dev team combined with the people who made PS:T? That's a fangasm for sure.

2. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I would like to see the Troika/Black Isle thing too but as said, pipe dream sadly

Never really like many blizzard games, my brother was into them so much it actually put me off of them for a while though I got playing Starcraft and started to look at the games they had made and suddenly realised how many of their games I've already played

If I think of Fallout 3 as a continuation of Fallout I feel like I wanna Murder (yes with a capital 'M') Bethesda however if I disassociate it with the previous Fallouts I guess I rate it as an ok game

As for Valve and Bioware I haven't really played too many of their games to be honest, looking at the titles they've brought out my brother would have a better idea than me. The only Valve game I've played is the first Half Life and of Bioware I've played Baldur's gate and Mass Effect, none of them to completion

I'm not too sure I want any of these making an Arcanum sequel, I mean gaming nowadays has become rather gaudy and if the game has an hope to succeed it is going to need to appeal to the market and this is what the market likes apparently

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh GOD yes. I actually got my nerves up to send him an e-mail because that review had me laughing so hard.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It will be a cold day in hell before Duke Nukem Forever, and I suppose the same fate will befall Cleveland Mark Blakemore's Grimoire and Vault Dwellers Age of Decadence.

Well, AoD seems a bit more serious than the other two.

5. Stikibunn

Stikibunn New Member

*Performs a resurrection on thread*

Actually speaking of Fallout 3 and bethusda. I revived this thread just to comment on it!

If anything fallout 3 is good news to us Arcanum fans even if you hated it. (Mind you I loved Fallout 3 and played it 3 times through so far) Bethusda has collected a few of Black Isles for New Vegas which means it will be better and the $$ signs in the higher up's eyes mean that our little cult gem might be snapped up.

It will make many of you sad but face it, We're not gonna get an experience like Arcanum again. It was graphically and programmically (is that even a word?) backward even when it was released, it seems like a dinosaur playing it now.

The best we can hope for is that they get it in the ball park. I don't care myself but I would love too travel through a beautifully rendered Tarant where the shops are tall dark buildings with peeling paint facades, jammed with busting about people of all walks of life. Walking into a gunshop, the door makes a little tinkling sound as the opening door rings a tiny bell. THe shopkeeper asks me what I would like....

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

No.

Seriously, how can a possibility of a sequel that one would hate be considered good news? Flawed logic much?

Also, it's spelled "Bethesda".

7. Stikibunn

Stikibunn New Member

I can't spell

Well I'm a little biased. I liked fallout 3 is a major factor

To be completely honest I would rather someone else entirely doing arcanum 2 but no matter who does it won't be the same game and it will flood the fanbase with morons.

If it was released as a mainstream game it would be designed to appeal to the masses.

However fallout 3 was full of sucky voice acting (Only good voice actors were the man playing James, 3 dog and the narrator) an bugs (What you get when you use a buggy engine) and was still better then no game at all.

I would rather an ok sequel then no sequel, although it could be said that if it did something moronic like for example took out the rpg elements, changed the setting, characters, and universe too much (Fallout 3, despite what some may say was fairly accurate to the universe apart from the existence of super mutants which made no sense at all given the specific location of the source of the FEV) I would decry it as evil as much as you. I'm just saying that to get a new Arcanum game things would need to be updated.

Sad but true....

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'd embrace the sequel that brings a moronic fanbase. It would give me more people to berate on the internet.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Even though I'm aware of the flaws I pointed out and find them extremely annoying and insulting for the whole series, I actually find Fallout 3 quite enjoyable. What I'm saying here is that if someone played F3 and still hated it, he surely wouldn't consider the possibility of a similar thing happening to Arcanum a good thing. Saying that he would like such a sort of Arcanum 2 just because we enjoyed F3 is indeed a very biased and not very objective thing to say.

10. Lunar

Lunar New Member

Well... jury-rigging in Fallout 3 sux, but they didn't forget about it so yes, Bethesda.

Arcanum done by same people as old Fallouts, but without music from Planescape/Fallouts, was quite different and still the same. Machined Plate-Mail was obvious Power Armor and if Fallout gone his way... then for Arcanum came another times.

I just dream about cool steam-punk games, but Damnation or Rise of Nations burnt my dreams to ashes; I dont count japanesse shit.

11. Stikibunn

Stikibunn New Member

Too bad you don't count Japanese "Shit" as the best game even in the steampunk genre (aside from the obvious) is a Japanese game, Final Fantasy 6

12. Lunar

Lunar New Member

Ok, ok, FF has its funs, but just... I wish Arcanum goes its own way. Magic&Technology without rainbow chicken mounts and flying fortresess (powered by steam ofcoz).

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    As far as I am concerned, FFVI was the best game in the world at its release. You cannot really compare it to Arcanum, given the technical limitations of the SNES and all. Arcanum was shipped with two CD's, FFVI had to do with a few megabytes at most.

14. Lunar

Lunar New Member

I am not talking about best view of steam-punk genre, but just jRPGs and their succesors are easy recognizeable for some reason. I mean largely plot, pseudo-epic, quasi-romance and other tropes you can read there http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalFantasy

Aww.. face it. Let japanesse crap be japanesse crap, but outside walls of "western" products. Not racism, but I dont want selling our classics to be *changed* into their way. You undoubtly know thay one character from SC 2 resemble blond admiral young type of character. <vomit> It is just this way of jRPG influence I hate, but well.. they are main target so this is made widely for them.

So.. keep chocobos in their glades/cages, don't let them slip in any form to gloomy Arcanum. And when I say "gloomy" it doesn't mean that "Last Exile" is good inspiration for Arcanum 2.

now you understand me?

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    What he is saying is that he would not want to see any Japanophile references in Arcanum 2. For example, "the blond admiral young type character from Starcraft 2" he referred to obviously suffers from a degree of "mangaization".

Of course, Arcanum 2 will never be, but I agree completely. Not that I think we would have had to fear anything like that from Troika, mind you.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I admit he is really different to his father but I don't see the manga reference to him to be honest. The outfit is because his father is the emperor and his hair makes him look like a frat boy douche.

18. Lunar

Lunar New Member

He looks like Sayian and there is also another beard-guy resembling fantasy dwarf... Totally manga. Even human Kerrigan looks like 3D anime redhead.

And I fear more and more Arcanu, StarCraft and other classics characters will look like
    [​IMG]

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Rory Swann, if anything he is a tribute to The Lost Vikings, another blizzard classic.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Ever tried clicking on the Viking unit repeatedly? :-D

Our Host!