Technology VS Magick, who suffers most in the feud?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Mr.Bomb, Aug 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Which is best in the world of Arcanum?

1. Steamworks

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Magick Obscura

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

As far as I can perceive, in the ceaseless fictional struggle between technology and magick that exists in Arcanum, magick seems to always come out of it for the worst, which to me makes no bally sense.

Magick does almost everything that technology can do in Arcanum, and in fact it does it better! If I was given the choice between the harm spell and a rifle of any kind, I would go in for the harm spell, its more efficient, its more damaging, and you don’t have to buy endless supplies of ammunition for it. Sod that for a game of soldiers!

The only real thing that technology seems to have over magick is transportation, but I am sure that said issue could easily be overcome in the boundaries of Arcanum’s reality.

I ask for your opinions?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    While this is certainly not reflected in character creation and game mechanics, according to lore magick is supposed to be difficult to learn and master, making technology the favored discipline for the short-lived and impatient colossus of a race bestriding the continent. Sure, magick can teleport people across the continent on a whim, but spells of that magnitude would realistically only be known by the tiniest fraction of the population and thus unavailable to the average John and Barry, who would rather take the train.

However, it is also suggested that ages of magick and technology wax and wane.

3. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

While I do concede that a lack of ability among the general populous may limit the ability of using Magick as a form of transport, is the same not true of trains? Most would not know how to use a train with no prior knowledge; they would have to be taught! Much is the case with those who would teleport others across the world, have them master that one spell, and have that be their lively hood. It works to the same end as a train, just with a more mystical (and in my humble opinion, accurate and efficient) means.

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Unless you are the Living One, learning how to cast the teleport spell would likely take a lifetime to master. Granted, it probably took several lifetimes of talented engineers to bring about the first commercially available train as well. However, the strength of technology lies in its ability to be replicated. Once you have drawn the schematics for a functional train, you could just have orcish labourers assemble one. Technology is cheap and accessible in ways magick will never be. A train can deliver hundreds of passengers to the desired location, the teleport spell could likely only take a few, and the wizard casting the spell would likely charge a fee for his services equal to many, many train tickets.

5. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

I can see your point there, so Technology does serve much better as transport than Magick can, but what of weaponry? Surely a basic harm spell or some such can't be too difficult to learn? A gun cannot hold a candle to a harm spell in terms of damage! Whats more, the gun requires maintenance, and it requires constant purchase of ammunition for it, where as the 'ammunition' of Magick replenishes itself!

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    Again, to even cast a harm spell one must likely devote a significant portion of one's time at an institution of magick learning such as Tulla. Being Black Necromancy and all, one must likely overcome rather ghastly experiences before learning it. Guns on the other hand can be bought at the local vendor.

7. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

Once more I must concede, it seems that I do not know entirely enough about Magick within the reality of Arcanum (I sadly have only recently started playing the game again, and when I played it last was when it had first been released). I still hold that magic is better, if only because it grants power solely to those who wish to work for it, but I do see how from a pragmatic standpoint technology is superior simply for convenience. That won’t stop me from bally always playing as a Magick user mind you.

8. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

But how long would that take?
    "What's this? You have never taken the train before? Well, basically you just get in and sit down."

9. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

I was speaking of learning how to drive the train, not sit in it.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Simply ask yourself how many mages you encounter in Arcanum. Most locations have a grand total of one sorcerer on the premises (usually the wise woman). Magick is supposed to be a rarity, that's why it's mystical. If everyone and their mother knew how to fling fireballs magick would have been mundane.

11. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Sure, but even than can be superficially taught in a day. In six steps it would seem.
    Compare that to a lifetime of training the mind and body to learn magick.

12. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

Once more I state my admittance of Magick being a worse option than Technology simply for convenience, though I also stand by the point that magic is itself much more effective than technology.

13. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

That's fair to say but at the same time, really quite pointless. All your doing is stating the obvious. However, there is a counter arguement to it anyway. Magic requires fatigue. Where as technology can infact help restore fatigue. If you swapped everybit of technology we used these days with some form of magic, everyone in the world would be fucking knackered.

14. Mr.Bomb

Mr.Bomb New Member

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    The only argument against that being that lesser and greater potions of fatigue, Morgana's tears etc are magickal concoctions.

In general however your point still stands. For the masses, technology is far more expedient than magick.

16. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

But under that rationel, everyone would have to have regular shots of fatique replenishment. There's a place to make money!

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I remember guns being quite powerful according to the lore. Doc Roberts himself puts a bullet between the eyes of any mage who runs his mouth.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    You have to separate lore from game mechanics. In Arcanum it is quite possible even for a scrawny character to survive multiple bullets at point blank range. This is because fighting in any RPG involves a hefty dose of abstraction. In the lore proper however a bullet to the head, a fire flash at the dinner party and a sword through the cranium all carry a very real risk of immediate death for the receiving party.

19. Sorg

Sorg Member

Even then, the mage the Doc killed must've been a weak one since i don't think mere bullets can kill a powerful mage, what with magic barriers or even just his magic aura.
    Ever tried using a gun as a "100 aura" mage? It explodes in your hands! I would think it's the same with bullets.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Few mages are that powerful. Arcane shopkeepers stand in awe of 60+ MA mages for a reason. What you have to understand is that characters like the Living One are truly exceptional in the world of Arcanum, part of an exclusive and heroic elite.

Our Host!