Garfield Remington III & armor

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Machinegun Willie, Aug 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Machinegun Willie

Machinegun Willie New Member

I've got Gar in my party for the first time. I looked at his stats to see what weapon he uses. Saw melee, handed him a sword and regular size leather armor. He equipped the sword but won't equip the armor. Any idea why he won't wear it? Also, he has a magick apptitude of +10 but no spell craft, will he learn spells? I had figured he'd be neutral like Sogg Mead Mugg. I'm playing a tech character, so I don't want too many magick types in the party. I decided to pick up Gar because my first time playing I had Magnus and got sick of his constant complaining and threatening to leave. I figure Gar would be a little easier to dael with.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The orc model wasn't considered important enough to get animations for all types of armor, so Gar can only wear barbarian and plate armor (but not tech plate). He can use all weapons (with the exception of staves) and shields, though.

Also, about the magickal aptitude. You're probably standing near the magick shop in Tarant, that area gives a temporary +10 boost to MA. Gar is a normal pure melee-dodge fighter, like Sogg, Chukka or Torian Kel.

3. Machinegun Willie

Thanks Drog. Are there any shops that carry barbarian armor? I don't have the coin to buy plate for him right now. Just bought Virgil and Sogg new gear.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Really? Animations are among the criteria considered for item use restrictions?

5. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Most smiths have some kind of barbarian armor in stock. If you're using the UAP, they will have more types of it available. You can also try finding random orc encounters (try traveling from Tarant to Ashbury and back), they also have barbarian amor.

Yes.

That's why e.g. Arronax can only use a staff.

6. Machinegun Willie

ok. I'm in Tarant right now. Wallow's hasn't had any in stock since I added Gar. Before that, I wasn't really looking for it. I'm finishing a couple side quests then I'll walk to Asbury and try to trigger an orc encounter. Thanks again.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I had no idea the shop had an aura. Does that affect tech users as well?

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Is there a way around that? Say give Arronax a sword and just have him use the staff animation?

9. Machinegun Willie

As soon as I got away from the shop I check Gar's stats and he was back at neutral. Never had any idea of it myself.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Where tech plate stands for platemail using power armor sprites (in other words, Electro-Armor and Machined Plate), which means Elite Platemail is OK with Gar, if anyone's wondering.

Indeed. One's value of aptitude doesn't matter, the shop always temporarily gives 10 aptitude points toward magick, just like the Vermillion Station always temporarily adds 20 aptitude points towards tech.

Our Host!