Your characters?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by jca, Jul 26, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jca

jca New Member

So, what kind of character you like to play?

In my current game I'm playing this male elf mage berserker with Army Training background. The game started really nicely. I found a Charmed Platemail from the old Bessie Toone mine, which I replaced with Arcane Platemail. At some place I found a Magick Great Sword, can't remember where, but it was somewhere I least expected to find such thing, later replaced with Mystic Great Sword.

At Tarant I bought me some Enchanted War Boots and War Gauntlets. But I could smash anyone to pieces with bare hands. I "borrowed" the Ring of Influence and Jewel of Hebe at Tarant as well and became a member of the Thieves Underground, just to get access to the Fence. The halfling there is in deep love with me, everytime I sell him some gems or other expensive stuff, the reaction value raises. I also have a huge stash in the small building after the bridge.. In every game I always bust the door and use the barrel inside for my items.

I think this character is very much like my first ever character in Arcanum.. though current character "theme" is inspired by Guts from Berserk manga/anime series. My character also knows how to use the bow, dodge, 4 force spells and 5 temporal spells. He's also very persuasive, knows a bit haggling and trap spotting. His stats are ST 15, CN 11, DX 13, BE 16, In 12, WP 18, PE 10, CH 13. He's got the four first blessings from the god quest, Arbalah, Toussaude and the Gesthianna priestess have also blessed him. Currently at level 41. I have the level cap set at 101. I don't plan to be at 101 level at the end of the game, but I'm going to complete as many side quests & "caves" as I can.

Virgil and Raven are following me everywhere. I saved the Dog, but didn't take him with me, he just makes the fights boring by killing everyone before I have a chance to even touch them. Mmm.. maybe next game I take him to the Amazon camp at the Isle of Despair, I bet they would like him very much.

I've also played a couple characters with prowling, backstab, throwing and fire spells. I've never really played a tech character.. couple of times I've taken the molotov cocktail tech.. and often lock picking (but personally I don't count that as tech). I guess I could try a tech character someday. I've always played as elves, half-elves or humans. Never tried anyone else, or maybe once I played a half-orc female. Dwarves I'll probably never ever going to try, even if I try a tech character. One time I played the Idiot Savant background, which gave me funny dialog, but still let me be intelligent enough to use magick. Couple of times I've played a lonely warrior without companions, except sometimes the Dog.. and Raven so kindly offered to join me, couldn't just let off my hand. I think some day I'll definitely play the game without taking any companions at any point.

I've also always got a +100 alignment. I think I would try an evil character, but there just aren't enough evil quests around. One time I tried to get an evil alignment from +100, and I had to go around multiple cities killing everyone in them and then had to put on the Dark Helm. And since I use the unofficial patch, that helmet no longer do the -20 permanently every time the helmet is put on.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    My most common characters would be elven mage with Sold Your Soul or half-ogre combat monster. Both go to Cha 12 and Expert Persuasion at the very least, since I like being followed by an entourage of interesting people.

3. jca

jca New Member

I finally got to the end. I got as far as level 60. I completed nearly every quest and location. I mastered bow, dodge and melee skills and temporal magick. I think I won't use temporal magick for a while with my next characters. All I hear is "click-clock-clack". I maxed my strength to 20 and learned to backstab with my huge Arcane Great Sword. Top Speed for my character was 61. The monsters had no clue what hit them, not that I ever tried to hide.

I think my next play will be totally alone. I'm thinking of a human with the Escaped Lunatic background.. and maybe finally try an all tech character.

4. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

My default setting is a male elf mage with a lot of followers.

I tried a lot of different backgrounds, but for some reason I keep coming back to Miracle Operation as the one that fits my style of play the best. I like using Persuasion to talk my way out of having to do certain side quests the harder way. I also like not having to plan ahead so much for eventually recruiting Magnus, so the high Charisma comes in really handy. Maybe I'm just lazy.

And for some reason, I really like having high Perception.

I tend to put at least one point into Throwing so I can get the location for the Master Quest. Generally speaking, I'm pretty boring. Lots of spamming Harm and Fire Flash with Melee for backup. I'm probably too fond of Teleport just because it makes it so much easier to get around the map and power game.

I also like half-elf gunslingers. I'll use the bandit background sometimes just to get a nicer gun. I'm pretty boring there too. Throwing and explosives, a little electrical, whatever else looks interesting, making Charged Swords and Pyro Axes for my followers...

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Nowadays, I always end up playing a human or half-orc technomancer. It's the by far most dynamic gameplay.

6. RavenousRat

RavenousRat New Member

Unforunately I can't change engine rules so I trying to not use magic, and ranged weapon, because it's totally unbalanced and very easy. Also don't use turn based combat at all, because I don't see a reason to wear armor, because you simply don't take any damage.
    So I playing thief-like character with melee, dodge, prowling, steal, backstab, lockpick, healing and raising mechanical tree, playing only in real time and using only daggers and light armors without being any overweighted.

Magic is unbalanced and easy, even in real time combat, and I'm not talking about harm, but also stun, fireflash, disintegrade or invisibility. Also I can't understand spending ONE character point on first elemental spell to get 4 free points after. I mean spend 1 point on fire agility and then cast it 2 times on self to get +8 agility... 1:8 ratio for only -2 fatigue regeneration. When I played Arcanum I changed some rules myself by lowering harm damage to 1/4 and fatigue usage to 10 per use, so it became useful only against fleeing targets or like support spell for melee characters; and elemental spell bonuses from 4 to 1 points, because it's really silly to get +4/8 to stats for 1 character point. Also made Haste spell drain your fatigue x5 faster (15 / 10 seconds), if only I could change AP system like in Fallout to have from 5 to 10 AP, because having 50 AP and kill everything on sigh for 1 turn isn't normal, and I'm not talking about backstab in turn based... I don't think it should do any bonus damage at all if target is warned about your presence and it shouldn't be possible to deal that damage with any weapon except for dagger even with expert in that skill, and stun spell should be resisted much easier and being on 3rd or 4th place in mental spell tree, not possible to take on 1st level, also "Hard" difficulity is very very easy, I want to have "Hard", "Very Hard" and "Insane", because "Medium" and "Easy" ... you cant simply kill everything on sigh with your bare hands with only 1-2 ranks in melee skill and get plenty of XP so you'll reach level cap on 30% game completed stage, even "Hard" isn't enough hard even without using imba magic and ranged weapon. I know this is wrong thread about this all, but anyway this game can be much more better and it's not that hard really to do that, I can make almost everything myself except for changing engine rules for skills and AP usage, but I think it's possible for anyone who atleast anything know about arcanum engine.

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

How are you backstabbing in real-time?

8. RavenousRat

RavenousRat New Member

Prowling, only 1st strike will do great damage, other strikes are regular.
    If you're with a follower, then also he can attract enemy's attention and then you'll strike enemy's back but with a bit lower damage, but this damage is good enough anyway, even if I using only daggers.

9. jca

jca New Member

I agree Fallout has better combat with less actions per turn. And realtime mode in Arcanum is just too fast to be playable, if it had similar controls as X-Com: Apocalypse, then it would be great. In Arcanum I've only used the realtime mode when the turn based mode has gone stuck, but it's just a short moment and back to turn based.

Last night I started a lonely human escaped lunatic. He's the kind of guy who can get rich by selling crap from trashcans to shopkeepers. I guess they're more like paying him to leave the shop. Other than that, there's not much special about him. I think he'll become a thief, already joined the underground, but doesn't have any thieving skills.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

The only character I've played so far is a half-elf electrical engineer. I had planned on making him a lone genius by maxing out his intelligence and dexterity scores, but I ended up maxing out the charisma score as well for more quests and followers.

[EDIT]
    Future characters include a technologically inclined thief, then a magically inclined thief, then a charisma-heavy human female. She will be summoning focused.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

What game are you talking about? I though this was the Arcanum Discussion.

Anyway, I consider this thread a nice opportunity to summarise all of my characters up to date. The characters are shown in chronological order of being created and played and it will be quite visible that the latter the character, the more developed the behind-the-scenes backgrounds.

[​IMG]

Muro Lightning (named after myself, not the other way around), a male elf wizard

Background: Bookworm

Alignment: Goody Two-Shoes

Behind-the-scenes background: Muro, while being a silent and composed mage, strongly desired power (hence Force) and knowledge (hence Divination), however gathering and using that power and knowledge filled him with a quite dangerous passion. Luckily for Arcanum, it was a dangerous place and there were enough monsters and evildoers in it for Muro to regularly discharge that passion and power in a way that was generally perceived as morally good. He eventually developed a love interest in Raven, and a requited one at that. (the in-game Muro did anyway, the real life Muro always thought and still thinks Raven is a cold complexed bitch)

Stats and skills: Maxed out Willpower, Intelligence, full colleges of Force (+mastery), Divination, Conveyance, Temporal and White Necromancy (I had Virgil, yes, but I wanted to feel independent and self-sufficient)

Followers: Virgil (later Zen Virgil), Magnus (dumped when I realised our styles really didn't match), Raven and Loghaire Thunderstone. To this day, I consider the trio of Zen Virgil + Raven + Loghaire as the most epic, climatic and symbolic endgame party of Arcanum.
    Probably would have Dog too, if only I knew during my first playthrough that that dead dog which I found in Ashbury could be saved and turned into a free follower. Oh well.

[​IMG]

Bartholomew Ashford, a male human technologist

Background: Sickly

Alignment: Goody Two-Shoes

Behind-the-scenes background: He was raised by a wealthy family which could give him pretty much everything, except for that one thing he truly desired - adventure. He didn't really have the body for it, seeing how weak and prone to all sorts of diseases he always was, but his heart was strong and he decided to find his own fortune in some ancient ruins rather than waste his life and inherit a fortune earned during generations of maintaining some boring businesses. He eventually found a way to make his body strong with his technology, locking it in a self-made sterile steampunk Power Armor. Take that, weak muscles, take that, microorganisms! He hated Fraklin Payne, seeing how he was stealing the reputation of Arcanum's greatest adventurer from him. Telling him that it was he who killed the Stillwater Giant was one of his greatest experiences in life. You should have seen his face, I tell you!

Stats and skills: Poor strength and condition, Maxed out Perception and Intelligence, master of Repair and Fire Arms, Doctorates in Smithy, Gunsmithy, Electricity and Mechanical

Followers: Jayna (apprentice of sorts), Magnus (initially mentor, later more of a companion in the world of technology), Virgil (swapped him for Magnus in Tarant after reading Joachim's telegram, leaving him with a self-made electro sword in remembrance of our friendship), Dog (<darthvader> I have you now! </darthvader>), a self-build army of about twenty automatons

[​IMG]

Count Novitas, a male elf battlemage

Background: Only child

Alignment: Evil in the opinion of everyone in Arcanum, yet Novitas thought of himself as beyond good and evil and considered the two to be imaginary abstracts and even if they do exist, he is the one true good in a world of evil

Behind-the-scenes background: "Life has no meaning and it should be quenched altogether. The more souls I talk with and the more things I experience, the more I'm sure about it." Some say Novitas came from a realm completely different than Arcanum. One thing is sure though - he was a nobleman who sought truth and the truth he found via Necromancy made him quite nihilistic. Both his discoveries and conclusions were similar to those of Kerghan, which is why he found (forced, if necessary) every location that was to be forced and killed every NPC that was to be killed, while casting permanent stasis on those who were unwise enough to refused to accept the blessing of death (respawning NPC such as Gaylin, Raymond Pierce, the Ship Builder and his half ogre bodyguards or the four bunnies outside of David Wit's house). He did what he could to remove all life from Arcanum and in the end he joined Kerghan - the one being that share's his point of view completely - in order to make sure that no more of it is, and ever will be, left.

Stats and skills: Maxed out Strength, Constitution (the +4 Con amulet came in handy), Dexterity, Willpower, master of Melee and Dodge, Full colleges of Temporal (which he eventually mastered by "breaking into" Tulla), Black Necromantic, White Necromantic and Mental.
    Hasten + Tempus Fugit + the Bangellian Scourge = oh yeah.

Followers: Initially none were planned, eventually the giant Dread Crystal Spider and the Cursed Paladin were turned into permanent undead followers. The count, seeing how he was unable to teleport, used the spider as a mean of transportation (a mount of sorts) through Arcanum while the Paladin served as a bodyguard for the times when he was asleep. Eventually Novitas found the staff of K'na Tha which he used to teleport around, but kept the spider as an additional bodyguard.

[​IMG]

Natasha, a female half orc assassin

Background: Raised by orcs

Alignment: Neutral (will do every work, as long as she's paid for it)

Behind-the-scenes background: She was raised by a family of orcs that found her. Things could stay this way and it would be a good life for her, but the universe didn't agree. When she was fifteen, her orcish family was slaughtered by a group of raiders (bandits? Esteemed citizens convinced that killing orcs is the right thing to do? We will never know), while Natasha was lucky enough - or perhaps unlucky enough - to be considered attractive enough by the raiders to be left alive. Left alive and brutally raped by each and every single one of them, that is. That day made her even more cold, emotionless and alienated than ever before, leaving her with no ambitions in her life after that. All she wanted was to simply earn enough money to stay alive from day to day and think as little about life as possible. She always dressed an oiled thieves leather armor and used no other weapon than her trusted katana (she did have the Aerial Decapitator, but she only used it in situations which could damage her katana, such as fighting ore golems or fire elementals). She never parted with her wooden ring, the only heirloom after her orcish family - the only family she ever had, knowing that the sentiment for it may be very well the last true feeling left in her scarred mind. She nourished that feeling, since it was the only thing that reminded her that she was alive in moments when she felt completely dead inside.

She was dedicated and courageous in her work - she didn't really fear death because she didn't think there was much to lose. These attributes eventually allowed her to became one of the greatest mercenaries and assassins Arcanum has ever seen. A great achievement and title, yet not a life to be envied, seeing how Natasha never found anything that could be considered true happiness in her sad life. Most probably even in the last of her days she was waking up screaming in the middle of the night, tortured by the nightmares of her family being slaughtered on her eyes and the group rape happening right next to their still warm corpses.

Stats and skills: Maxed out Dexterity and Perception, Intelligence raised to 11, three schematics in Herbalism, Electric and Mechanical, master of Melee, Dodge, Throwing, Prowling, Backstab, Pickpocket, Spot Trap, Disarm Trap and Pick Locks (9 mastered skills out of 16 is by far my most skill-focused character).

Followers: Natasha was a loner and alone did she wander through the world. Any company was too much company for her.

[​IMG]

Victor Salazar, a human male wizard [current character]

Alignment: Evil with a passion

Background: Escaped lunatic

Behind-the-scenes background: Years ago there was a very potent mage, yet quite an impatient one he was. He was not an evil mage, mind you, just far too curious. Both his potential and his impatience led to his corruption. He was skilled enough to use spells which he was not supposed to even know at his current level of experience (casting, say, Dominate Will before lvl 15, game mechanics speaking). He was mostly fascinated by the mind and how magic can affect it, as well as the beauty and properties of flames, which is why he mastered Mental and Fire magic in his young days. The magic however was too much for him, he wasn't able to control it and eventually the mental magic backfired and devastated his own mind., turning him completely insane at first and making him an apathetic plant - conscious but not aware - later. He was decided to be locked in an insane asylum, where his body spend several years, while his mind was, well, pretty much non-existent. One day, however, part of his magic memory returned to him and before anyone noticed, the whole asylum with everyone in it was burned to the ground. The official version - supported both by the press and the officials - was that it was because of some sort of an accident. They couldn't know better, after all, there were no witnesses to notice that one person actually left the wreckage, only slightly burned and having a toothly grin on his face.

He is no longer the man he used to be. His past prior the Zephyr accident isn't known to anyone and even he himself hardly remembers anything about it anymore (though he does regain shards of memories with time, but they are like memories of another man to him). He now names himself Victor Salazar, a name he happily mentions whenever he has the opportunity, putting emphasises in bizarre and unexpected places of it. His true name will most probably never be known, seeing how he no longer remembers it - or at least that's what he claims - while all of the asylums files were turned into ash.

He now lives a purely hedonistic life and lives for the kick of it and for the giggles. Good for him but bad for Arcanum, seeing how the suffering of others is the main source of those giggles. He enjoys regaining his fire and mental knowledge and gladly learns new spells, especially those which can cause more types of pain. An unstoppable force, he is both sadistic and masochistic, and gladly mutilates his own body and mind respectively with his fire and mental spells - it's his drug, so Arcanum's only hope is that it will eventually "overdose" it.

He doesn't care the slightest about the main plot, he just follows it only when there's nothing more to do, simply for the sake of it giving him more and more occasions of brutally killing new people, plus he loves Virgil's look when he does so - firstly it was disgust, than that ":rolleyes: there we go again" look, and, recently, a sparkle of enjoyment perhaps? Corrupting that lad would be such an ecstatic experience!

He gained a new goal when he encountered "Arronax" in the form of a Mysterious Apparition. He dared to challenged Him and knock down Him, the Victor Salazar the Great!? He will now do everything to encounter and slaughter Arronax, even if it means joining the enemy to get closer to him, even it it means banishment to the Void.

Stats and Skills: Maxed out Willpower, Intelligence and Constitution, full colleges of Fire (probably will break into Tulla to gain mastery), Mental, Morph (Victor loves to disfigure things. Mostly living things), Meta ("Let's see that Arronax get past these defences!"), Conveyance.

Followers: Virgil (can't wait till he turns into evil Virgil) and Geoffrey Tellerond-Ashe, plus a pet Familiar summoned from a scroll bought from the Black Magick shop in Tarant. Initially this was planned to be a male-only mage party, but I recently realised Victor would be more than happy to have Z'an Al'urin follow him, seeing how she can be a good source of information about both the past, the present and the future, plus he will highly appreciate the irony of having the enemy's kin on his side.

[​IMG]

Sir Richard W. Whyte (where "W" stands for William, if anyone's curious), a male gnome diplomat [next planned character]

Background: Miracle Operation or Charlatan's Protégé
    Aptitude: Goody Two-Shoes, probably

Behind-the-scenes Background: Even many years after his death, sir Richard W. Whyte was still remembered as a extremely charming gentleman and the charismatic leader or a group of individuals calling themselves "Arcanum's League of Gentlemen". The name quickly sticked to them, seeing how each and everyone of them always wore a suit worth of a nobleman, consisting of high quality suits, leather shoes and gloves and top hats, and - naturally - appropriate liveries for the half ogre manservants. Top, top, cheerio!
    Side note: Richard always says he's "a diplomat, perhaps even a scientist, if you will, but surely not a warrior, good heavens, no!" which is why he never participates in battles himself, allowing his party to do all of the fighting for him. Should be an interesting experience.

Stats and skills: He will firstly max out Charisma and Persuasion and later max out Intelligence and gain Doctorates in Herbalism, Therapeutics and Chemistry, just for the joy of experimenting with the nature of Nature.

Followers: Virgil (until he runs from T'sen Ang to "Velorien knows where"), Sebastian ("Never have I met a lad who would insist on wearing his goggles even with the most exclusive suit in whole Tarant, but don't you ever change on me, my boy!"), Magnus ("a charming lad, one that needs to drink more brandy in order to loosen up a little, but a charming one nonetheless, ha!"), Loghaire ("I understand your chainmail may give you fine protection, but seriously, what is protection without the class of a fine suit? Once you will wear it, you'll never look back, you'll see!"), Vollinger (until the T'sen Ang revelation, after which Richard will feel betrayed and will decide to side paths with him), Sogg Mead Mugg & Chukka (every self-respecting gnome needs at least two half ogre bodyguards, after all), Franklin Payne (Richard's true soulmate) and Dog ("Nothing says "gentleman's best friend" like a set of strong loyal teeth, eh?").

Further future gaming plans:
    I need to create some characters which will allow me to experience:
    - explosives
    - archery
    - playing a dwarf
    - playing a half ogre
    - playing an idiot
    - having Gar and Waromon as followers, simultaneously or not

12. jca

jca New Member

Interesting characters there, Muro :) Victor Salazar is my favourite of them.

13. RavenousRat

RavenousRat New Member

I meant in real time, shooting with pistol with speed of SMG and your enemies can't even reach you, and shooting arrows like you have autoloading chamber installed on bow and automatically shooting arrows at a target with a speed of minigun.
    In turn based ranged weapon don't have much difference between melee anyway, because on the next turn enemy will be near you, so you'll shoot at point blank and then hit and run, so I don't see any reason using ranged weapon in turn based, and it's totally unbalanced to use it in real time. Turn based should have much less APs to spend and "attack of opportunity" function if you're trying to escape target and it didn't made any attacks last turn, so it'll automatically attack you every time you move from it in turn based, and real time must be like x3 times slower for movement and x10-15 times slower or may be x20 times slower for attacking.

Just wanted to ask, why do one need to raise constitution more than 11, if on 11th you'll get 4 restoration rate and with amulet of N'Tala it gives additional 50% rate, so you'll have 6, and it's max, you can't have more than 6. So what a reason to have more than 11 CN? Fatigue can be raised directly 4 points per 1, poison resistance doesn't worth it.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Can't say anything about using the bow, seeing I have yet to create an archer character. When it comes to using guns, though, I recall my experience quite clearly. I believe I played in turn base and it took quite some time before Bartholomew, my bullet shooting character, became a force to be reckoned with. For most of the game he had to spend nearly all of his loot money on ammunition and needed to learn and/or find a lot of schematics to know about a good gun and be able to build it. Even at the endgame, when he was wielding Droch's Warbringer, he was less devastating than an average melee fighter is about mid-game having high strength, an average weapon found in just any shop and no worrying about ammo consumption rate.

I liked playing my gunslinger, but all things considered, I can't say that a gun wielding character is an easy one to play. In fact I think it's the hardest way of combat, requiring the greatest effort in exchange for the least impressing results, as opposed to the vastly overpowered melee build, which works exactly the other way around.

My bad on that one. "Maxed out heal rate" would be a better term, seeing how indeed Victor Salazar uses the "11 Con + N'Tala Amulet" strategy rather than "Maxed out Con" to achieve it. I simply forgot that the N'Tala Amulet affects heal rate directly, rather than indirectly via the increase of Constitution.

To answer you question though, I do see a reason to max out Constitution. Two reasons, in fact. Maybe even a possible third, if only that option would be developed more wisely by the creators of Arcanum.

Reason #1: A player having a morally good Living One and being true to his character won't get his hands on the N'tala Amulet, seeing how the only way to permanently have it in your inventory is to attempt either murder or theft.

Reason #2: Constitution 20 gives poison immunity. It may not be very useful game-wise, but being one of the few poison immune being in the whole world of Arcanum is a good achievement by itself, roleplaying-wise.

Reason #3: I recall something about a 100% save throw against Disintegrate when a character has 20 Constitution. Eventually, the save throw either didn't appear in the game or it did appear, but all it does is halve the damage coming from the spell, lowering it from 30k to 15k (woohoo) and still disintegrating the body afterwards, making the throw completely useless. If it did work though, it would be an awesome. Again, how often is one endangered with a foe capable of casting Disintegration on him? Nearly never. But the roleplaying satisfaction of being one of the few disintegration immune beings in Arcanum would be priceless.

15. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Maybe things are different with the UAP and other mods you guys like to use. I'm playing vanilla Arcanum with the 1.07.4 patch and archery isn't all that great in turn-based mode unless you're using Ellumyn's Bow.

You'll probably shoot three times before you run out of action points. Which is frustrating as all get out. Additionally, you need at least three points in Bow and Expert training to have much of a chance of killing anyone. It's not quite as bad as being a gunslinger who only has a Fine Revolver, but still... Bow kind of sucks.

In real-time, you can shoot a crazy amount of arrows... but chances are good that your opponent will dodge more often or you'll waste ammo by continuing to fire after your target dies.

16. RavenousRat

RavenousRat New Member

It doesn't matter vanilla Arcanum or not, unfortunately there's no mod that changes AP system, and shooting 3 times per turn = may be on 1st level at crash site, but later you'll have 50 APs and can walk from one side of map to another for one turn and I'm not talking about making ~20 strikes/shoots per turn or 50 strikes per turn with "Dagger of Speed", only 1 AP per strike and with max backstab skill you can kill whole Tarant in 1-2 turns.

17. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

It's possible to introduce an AP cap.

I was thinking of setting it at 25, when I was planning my rebalance mod.

18. RavenousRat

RavenousRat New Member

AP cap 25 = if your current AP > 25, then it'll be 25?
    Or if, for example current max AP is 50, I don't know exactly is it possible to have more than 50, for example 22 AGI (halfling) + background that adds speed + Enchanted Boots that adds +5 to speed, so you'll have around 30 AP x2 from haste = 60 AP, so capping it to 25 means it'll be limit or your speed will be slower at x2? If slower than it's perfect, if 25 will be simply limit, then it'll make haste spell/potion useless and change nothing more, you and critters will still run like insane, hit and run will still be possible so you don't need any armor and can run whole game in panties (or smoking/fancy dress), real time combat too fast, your character runs from one corner of screen to another for 0.25 seconds it's just silly.
    Changing AP cap is possible but it won't solve many problems, if it was possible to change it in ratio or formula to have 10-12 APs at the best way and 5-6 minimum would be good.

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

A cap of 25 will simply mean that everything will function normally until you hit 25. APs/Speed will simply stop increasing at that point.

Oh, and BTW, why did I choose 25? You see, real-time speed already caps at 25, so we may as well cap the APs at 25 too.

Anyway, the max cap for stat_speed is at 0x1B5230 in 1.0.7.4/UAP Arcanum.exe. You can play with it if you wish.

20. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I stole Muro's female half-orc raised by orcs idea and put my own spin on it.

Jian Morningstar (I know... I kind of regret it now.)

Alignment: Chaotic good, maybe? I mostly do good deeds, but since I have almost no charisma and no persuasion skills, I find myself having to kill people I have no beef against for purely pragmatic quest-related reasons. Take that, receptionist guy at P. Schuyler and Sons! Take that, ugly lonely guy in Stillwater!

Behind-the-Scenes Background: Maybe it's because of the constant rudeness and racism Jian experienced until she stumbled across a Medallion of Beauty in the Wolf Cave, but all she really wants is to be accepted by others. If that means being excessively polite to a shop keeper instead of giving in to temptation and skewering him with her rapier, she'll do it. If it means doing good deeds for people who don't trust her, she will. She sees the Worthless Mutt as something of a kindred spirit.

Stats and skills: Jian currently has Expert training in Dodge, Melee and Throwing. Melee is almost maxed out. Jian initially dabbled in Conveyance before diversifying into Mental (up to Stun) and Fire (up to Fire Flash) in order to kill Ore Golems more easily. She has now mastered the Conveyance college. She also invested in Minor Heal in order to help keep herself and her two loyal friends alive. Apprentice training in Bow (Ter'el's blessing plus a small bonus from her background) occasionally comes in handy.

Followers: Virgil and Dog

Our Host!