Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jca

jca New Member

I just went through the castle at Ashbury and found a lot empty crates there.. I remember I used to get a bunch of cursed items from that castle, but now I got very few items there: few coins, diamonds, some small white robe, some arcane helmet looking helmet and the hexed helmet and gold ring from the "boss" monster.

edit: I just noticed Virgil had picked up some strange mace. A grey coloured Mace of Betrayal, but I've never seen such thing. I've always got some brown coloured mace there. And I think it's never just been there on the ground for Virgil or someone else to pick up.. Or is my memory wrong and is the graphics for the weapon changed?

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The "small white robe" is a hexed item. And the "brown colored mace" is in the graveyard. (I believe that's the one you're talking about.)

And no, I didn't change any graphics without a reason.

3. jca

jca New Member

Ah, I guess I just missed that mace then. It's been some time since my previous play, so I remembered it was in the castle.

4. igotsmeakabob!!

igotsmeakabob!! New Member

I don't suppose the unofficial patch adds Zen Virgil back in?

5. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

What do you mean by that?

When good-aligned Virgil leaves the party, he becomes Zen Virgil, i.e. he gets completely new dialog and a different leveling scheme (though this won't have an effect if he's near the level cap or has already hit it0. The main difference between the post-official patch and the release version's Zen Virgil is that originally Virgil was simply getting swapped with another lvl 25 Virgil, thus losing all his equipment and levels. After many complaints, the developers changed this in the first official patch. I saw absolutely no reason to change it back, so it's the same in the UAP.

6. HollowerFollower

HollowerFollower New Member

I've been having trouble attempting to run Arcanum lately. It seems to be a bug, as it just cropped up from out of nowhere.

When I try to play Arcanum and launch the program, it seems to start up normally and then immediately minimizes to the start bar. I bring it back up, it minimizes, I bring it up again, it minimizes again, and we keep going through this little routine until it finally just crashes. I'm not sure what caused it, when I installed Arcanum, patched it, and ran it the first few times, it ran just fine, and then this happened.

Has it happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

7. redinstead

redinstead New Member

I Have the same problem I discovered that Arcanum didn't like running at the same time as Firefox... closing Firefox solved my problems, no idea why

8. Xyle

Xyle Member

I am moving the conversation here because I have noticed that the changes made to Gilbert Bates & Chukka the follower (but not Chukka before he gains follower status) by UAP have placed them outside of the glitch and am now under the impression that a change could be wrought that could eliminate the glitch (but on the other hand may be too time consuming to do so). The only NPCs that I have been able to work the glitch on are the NPCs affected by the buying of Bates mansion & the quartet outside of Pit of Fire (but that doesn't mean that there aren't others that I may have missed).

And many thanks for your labors. May you have the reward for which you seek.

F10 toggles the hud on & off.

Drog, what changed the setting on this? Before I downloaded the patch, I never had to hit the F10 key. But then when I downloaded the patch, I also changed a few settings but those settings don't seem to be the one that keep turning it back on. I like the hud's informativeness and (while I understand the desire to minimize it) don't like having to turn it back on.

Also a observation that of strangeness in vanilla & post-patch:
    In Blackroot's General Store, behind the clerk there are two barrels, in one of them is a Oak Axe Handle that looks like the ingrediant for the L4 Smithy Schematic, but lacks the weapon's stats & can't be used for it.

9. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Yes, that bug was found because of Chukka. I'm not sure that "fixing" other NPCs is worth it, as you would have to mind control them to trigger the bug, an average player would have no reason to do that.

Just don't use the shortcut labeled "Arcanum Fullscreen". All it does is enable Compact UI, it has nothing to do with running the game in full screen. Many people use this shortcut thinking it's "better" and then complain about the GUI. Oh, and the Compact UI mode was added in the official patch, not the UAP.

10. Xyle

Xyle Member

I discovered the glitch using Create Undead. The corpses remain after the script deletes the living and when you raise them as undead followers, their bodies disappear but leave their follower icons, allowing you to convert all of the corpses (except Bates and follower-Chukka) in Bates Mansion into permanent followers. If script could be used to delete the corpses as well, then only the ones converted to followers before the delete while be able to be converted into permanent followers.

Also when you use this glitch on the leader of the quartet outside the Pit of Fires, you gain access to the version of the Blade of Xerxes that the leader is carrying.

So that's what I have been doing different. With UAP's removal of the CD check, the shortcut showed up on the START menu's recently used programs list after I clicked the program from the hard drive instead from the CD drive. For some reason the Start Menu's shortcut list had the fullscreen option attached, even though I had initially clicked the Arcanum.exe program & not a shortcut. (... Is the default fullscreen?)

11. namad

namad Member

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

13. jarmat

jarmat New Member

I'm on Windows 7 and every time I try to install the unofficial patch I get the error "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe". This is also happens with a ton of other files the patch deals with. Any idea how to get around this? I've tried re installing the game several times.

14. namad

namad Member

it's possible that you don't have the permission to write to that folder, I think the program files folder and all subfolders work this way by default in windows 7...

either edit the permissions, or install somewhere else like C:\Arcanum\

?not sure this is right, it's hard to say off so little information

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Are you an administrator on the computer?

If the answer is no, then have an administrator run the patch for you. I wouldn't recommend changing the install directory.

16. Duderr

Duderr New Member

I found a few... somethings which didn't feel right to me.

First, whenever I cast Charm on someone and then turn it off, their reaction to me is 10 higher than it was before. I can repeat the process and their reaction will continue to climb. While the shopkeepers will maintain a level of inflation, it still doesn't seem like the spell should work like that (imo).

Second, either Magnus is a sadistic Dwarf or something is a little off in his coding. I was in Stillwater, in Marley's house, trying to magically unlock his crate. Everytime I cast the spell Magnus expressed his disapproval of what I was doing, yet his reaction went up by 5 each time. I got a good chuckle out of it, but again I couldn't help feeling like something was wrong.

Lastly, I was following the southern coast to the East from Caladon to find the shipwreck mentioned in town. Eventually, Razor Point appeared. I stopped map traveling. I tried to click on the location marker but couldn't. I decided I'd try running there. I hadn't run very long before I looked at the map again. *POOF* I was at Razor Point. I didn't think anything of it until it was time to go back to Caladon (and the ship I JUST bought). After a couple clicks I realized I was now on the east side of the mountains and wasn't going to be able to get back. I'm most likely to reload a previous save and play with this one a little, but I'm sure it would be appreciated if this could be prevented from happening.

17. BrecMadak

BrecMadak New Member

Hey is Drog Black Tooth still taking bugs/glitches etc to fix, or this project totally stopped ? [wish it didn't]

18. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Drog official left us some time ago, even though he seems to pop by every now and then (hence the "Drog Alt" previously seen in this thread). Chances that he'll fix any bugs or update his work is close to nil, mind you.

19. dukfinx

dukfinx New Member

Duderr wrote:
    > I found a few... somethings which didn't feel right to me.
    >
    > First, whenever I cast Charm on someone and then turn it off, their reaction to me
    > is 10 higher than it was before. I can repeat the process and their reaction will
    > continue to climb. While the shopkeepers will maintain a level of inflation, it
    > still doesn't seem like the spell should work like that (imo).
    >
    > Second, either Magnus is a sadistic Dwarf or something is a little off in his coding.
    > I was in Stillwater, in Marley's house, trying to magically unlock his crate.
    > Everytime I cast the spell Magnus expressed his disapproval of what I was doing,
    > yet his reaction went up by 5 each time. I got a good chuckle out of it, but again
    > I couldn't help feeling like something was wrong.
    >
    If you are playing a gnome, those are probaly not bugs but feature. Also, some other backgrounds may increase other's reaction when you do bad things.
    About the Razor Point, you may try to run back to the west and see if you could leave that place.

20. BlueFox

BlueFox New Member

i know that UAP is already made, but yesterday i discovered something interesting. When you are meeting Gilbert Bates you can kill him and then you can talk with him using the ''conjure spirit''. It is a spell which allowes you to talk with dead. So ia killed Bates and talked with him about BMC. But i tried to talk with him when i went back from T'sen Ang and the dialogue was the same. I think it should look different.

Our Host!