W7 & Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Apotheosis, Jun 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis New Member

Need some help - bigtime!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    I try to install Arcanum and I get almost 100% there when nothing happens.

The loading bar for thye installation stops and sits there gleaming, saying I have about 20 or more seconds to go, I waited about half hour for it to do something but nothing happened.

I went to Task Manager and ended the process, then I checked out where I installed the game, all the files looked like they were there.

I couldn't run the game though, nothing happened when I tried double clicking the EXE or opening it.

Please help, how can I install Arcanum correctly?

2. Charonte

Charonte Member

*sigh*

Obligatory questions when using Vista and up - Have you disabled UAC and/or run the installer with admin rights?

Check the disk for scratches and marks, try running the installer in compatability mode and whatnot.

All of the above apply when trying to launch the game .exe (be sure to put the play disc in the driver, obviously).

I have successfully ran Arcanum on Windows 7 64 bit before; the installer worked fine which makes me thing their might be something wrong with your discs or even optical drive. There was a bug on early releases of vista that forced some installation software to load into memory first often leaving a blank desktop without any UI - AFAIK this was fixed a long time ago though.

3. Apotheosis

Apotheosis New Member

No, trust me, my computer is brand new.

6gb RAM @1600Mhz Dual Channel, Intel i7 920 Quadcore, etc.

I've isntalled Arcanum before on Vista 32bit, on a laptop and it worked fine.

It just gets to like 80% in copying new files then decides to not go any further on this PC, I haven't tried the laptop again, but I will no doubt in 5 minutes.

I've tried compatibility mode, administrative privs... nothing is working.
    One thing I did notive was, while the installer was running at the "80% not doing anything" time, I couldn't make new folders, or copy and paste files anywhere on my computer... weird.

I would gladly appreciate some help.

If it still doesn't work could someone post what the c:\Sierra\Arcanum file directory looks like and I could try unpacking the .rar files into there and try placing everything in the right place.

It just might work.

I love Arcanum so much, me and my pal used to sit side by side at his house and we played Arcanum for 2 days straight on the laptops and we still didn't finish it. - Awesome game.

It sits about on 20 to 60 seconds on time remaining and just stays, the loading bar gleaming, the program hasn't "stopped responding" or "stopped working", it's running fine but it just must screw up somewhere along the way, almost like it's in a loop with copying something, Idk.

If anyone has any helpful ideas - PLEASE, by all means tell me.

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis New Member

Update, the laptop doesn't work either so it's either the discs (which I doubt) or th OS, if it is my OS, then 64bit and 32bit differences are irrelevant in the matter...

The only thing I can think of doing now is installing it on smeone elses' computer like WinXP or Vista and try copying ovewr the entire Arcanum directory into my C: drive.

Any other ideas though?

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

The difference between x64 and x86 isn't irrelevant. That actually could be a factor. I would recommend copying the whole directory, and then visiting my "Vista & Arcanum thread."

Also, I'm splitting this off into a new thread, then moving it to the proper section.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

6 GB of ram? anything over 4 is a waste!

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Because...?

8. luppolo

luppolo New Member

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would examine the thread in here about Vista, as most of it is rather relevant to W7 as well.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

64 bit OSes don't like old games. But there are work arounds. Check the sticky like DarkFool suggests

Our Host!