essence of intellect not working

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kelticpete, May 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

I have an intelligence of 8. I have a good persuastion/charisma but I learned for the mayor of ashbury I needed an intel of 10.

so I took it and looked at my intel. it was still 8. I had two points to spend so I went to the save right before I took the potion, raised my int to 10 and whizzed through the diaglogue. so if I decide to raise my int later I can come back and do this quest but I am annoyed that the essence of intellect did not work. I right clicked on it and it disappeared but no bump. tried again and put in in the hand icon and used it on myself but still it did not raise. i thought maybe it would not SHOW the bump up but still work for diaglogue. nope.

my game is gog with patch and uap and hi res.

I am using a custom backgrond that affected dex and cha but did nothing to my INT.

2. Arkain

Arkain New Member

How technically inclined are you? The potion is, iirc, magical in nature and may stop working if you are too much of a techie. Similar to healing and fatigue potions.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That is not the case, the essence works flawlessly on 100% tech characters.

4. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

i did not think tech was the case or causing the magick to not work.

all I know is that I have an int of 8 and then when I use the potion, see the animation around my head that looks magicky I immediately click on my character sheet and I see no confirmation of change. does it not register on the sheet?

i have spent 1 point for molotov, 1 point for the basic healing potion with ginka, and I have bought up lockpick (not sure that matters)

most of my points are in dex, cha (I have 3 followers) persuasion, backstab, melee, and dodge.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The essence of intellect temporarily adds 10 points of Intelligence. In your case that means that after drinking the potion there should be a 18 in place of a usual 8 in the Intelligence box visible in your character sheet. As I said, being tech does not interfere with the working of the essence. Most probably some kind of a bug causes the potion to not work in your game.

6. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

yeah, i thought it was a bug. I decided to buy int up to 10 (only 2 points) and I don't plan on making alot of schematics...hopefully other potions are not bugged.

on a secondary note, I was wondering what int level is needed to get better dialogue. I have a 10 and I may buy up to 12 but unless I miss some great dialogue I don't want to take it any higher for my melee/dodge/dex/backstab character.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'd say that if you want great dialogue, go down to 6 INT. Either that, or just play the game through multiple times.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I recall one important moment in the game where having high intelligence is needed to acomplish something.
    Having an Intelligence of at least 14 is the only way to make Randver Thunderstone explain the dwarven nature, which is needed if one wants to persuade Loghaire to return to the throne. It is the best solution for the Wheel Clan's situation, plus if it's done properly and the player is good, Loghaire can later be a hired as a follower.
    Other than that, I'm not sure if there are actually any other Intelligence checks.

9. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

muro:

regarding your spoiler, I had an int of 11 when I talked to randver and it worked.

I have also found out that my gloves of dex are not giving me dex bump and the ntala is not giving me the str. and con. maybe it is and it is just not registering.

i am using gog arcanum, the last patch 1074?, uap and hi res. i used the .mes files to create a new background but it does not effect my int or con.

Edit:
    I also found out that the blessing I got were not showing up. I deleted my background .mes (rules and the other folder) making my character have I guess literally no background and now the blessings show up but still not the gloves or medallions.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I wasn't on my computer when writing that post, therefore I couldn't check it in the game. All the sources on the Interwebz suggested an Int of 14 so I wrote that, even though I thought the value was lower. I just checked it right now and in fact the required value of Int is 10 or more. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

All of the bonuses coming from blessings and items are visible in the character chart. If there's no change in it, it probably means that they aren't added.

Our Host!