Arcanum multiplayer

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Captain-Tavius, Nov 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Captain-Tavius

Captain-Tavius New Member

Hi, I was just wondering if there was a mod that allowed the main arcanum singleplayer game to be played as a multiplayer co-op or is this impossible. thanks :)

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure I've heard of it being done, but you wouldn't actually be able to play it.

In multiplayer the advance time and travel on world map features are disabled. So at the start of the game you'd have to walk to Tarant in real time.

3. Captain-Tavius

Captain-Tavius New Member

4. Vorak

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Would it be possible to solve the problem by teleporters then? It's like when you "tell" your ship where to go. Why not simply have a signpost or something you could "tell" where you wanted to go?

Of course, it would involve a hopeless amount of grunt work, what with new locations needing to be added to every single signpost in Arcanum whenever a new location is revealed to you...

6. Vorak

You'd have to find a way for every location in Arcanum to be signposted at the appropriate time, plus all the random sites for treasure hunting. If you just signposted them all at the beginning it wouldn't be right.

EDIT

Since you can't bring the world map up it wouldn't work anyway.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's not like it couldn't be done (you'd just have to remove all the triggers that update your worldmap and have the locations signposted instead). Finding those odd random locations could be solved through rumormongering or the like.

Of course, this would require insane amounts of really boring work, meaning it won't ever happen.

8. Vorak

Can you save a multiplayer game?

Because otherwise you'd never finish it anyway.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Bottom line: It's not TEH IMPOSSIBLEZ to do it.

10. Vorak

Well no, if you have a few spare weeks to code it and then at least 12-15 hrs to play it non stop.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Wonder how quick you could beat Arcanum though? Saw a movie once where this guy beat Morrowind in like 14 minutes or so. Pretty impressive.

12. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Most impressive video was those where man finished Doom 2 with cheats at 3 minutes or so.

13. Vorak

Well I suppose if you used the character editor to beef your self up, forced Stringy Pete's cove, took his ship to Nasrudin and then killed him to be teleported to the Void, get the falchion from the cave and killed Kerghan it wouldn't take long.

14. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Also, I believe there was this guy who completed the original Super Mario Bros in like two minutes.

I think the only way for fastrunning a game would be to play without cheats. I suppose the best alternative would be to play as a circus Half-Ogre or perhaps a harm-spamming elf. If you do what Vorak describes, I'm quite sure you could beat the game in fifteen minutes, tops.

If I ever give it a try, I promise I'll record it and have DU upload it to the site.

16. mathboy

mathboy New Member

About the signposting, why not have Virgil (or a new signpost follower) get the information about the locations when you do and teleport you there?

Good luck DE!

17. hellriot

hellriot New Member

nooo

you cant do the arcanum module on mutiplayer. i been modding this game ever since i got it and i know how you get it to work but all you do is stand on water when the game starts. theres a notepad in the vormantown folder thats called MP and when you open it it says booo! thats what enables multiplayer. i used undat and made the arcanum module editable and put the notepad in the folder. it connects and runs the module but you begin standing on water (naked too) and you cant move anywhere.

18. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Now as much as I do want you to stop posting in old threads, this was actually rather informative, and it may help some other guy that asked this yesterday.

19. LibertyRansom

LibertyRansom New Member

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Our Host!