Question about Bronwyck's gun

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by marlowe, Apr 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. marlowe

marlowe New Member

Hey guys, been stalking this forum for a while now, and finally had a question worth asking that the search function couldn't solve.

Basically, I was wondering what the deal is with Bronwyck's gun? I made it, and I realized it fires fuel, and that the shooting animation is pretty neat, but other than that, I don't really get why it is ancient or whatnot. I mean, it seems reasonably powerful (as compared to the guards of Tarant, heh) but usually stuff that is Ancient and Rare is also Powerful. I guess I had my hopes up for something game-changing, or at least really special. Am I missing something key here? Also, any info about the Reanimator while I'm asking about these things would be much appreciated. Is it worth it, is it reusable, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The reanimator can only be used once, but it's one of the only two alternatives to the resurrect spell. So yes, it's worth it, but only if you can't control whether or not your characters will die unexpectedly.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Kudos on using the search function properly! :) I'm about to (finally) replay Arcanum again, and if I remember right, Bronwyck's Gun was the one that was considered rather useless by most players for similar reasons. However, I may be thinking of Droch's Warbringer.

4. Sotris

Sotris New Member

I also found that the gun is not worth the effort. Even the mechanized gun does a better job, and if you want a handgun to use and keep your left hand free, well... Pollock will give you a hand cannon if you accept (or pretend to accept) his mission, so you don't even need to spend a fate point.

There are other guns I have only in schematics, though, and have no idea how good they are- if at all. The High Velocity pistol, the Tesla gun, that other wide-barrel gun whose name I forget... Does anyone have any info on all the firearms available?

5. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I've made most of the guns in the game just to compare their usefulness, but in terms of that usefulness, and how long you're likely to be using one gun until you find something better, I've never come across one comparable to the Hand Cannon and Droch's Warbringer.

Basically, every time I make a Firearms-heavy character, their weapons used throughout the game take this exact pattern:
    Flintlock Pistol,
    Hand Crafted Flintlock,
    Fine Revolver,
    Hand Cannon,
    Droch's Warbringer.

6. DarkFool

I personally remain a huge fan of the Long-Ranged Pistol.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I hear them say that the Looking Glass Rifle was badass in the unpatched version.

Damage 40-40. Wow!

8. Sotris

Sotris New Member

One potentially good thing about Bronwyck's gun is that its damage is mainly fire and electrical, so it is quite effective against opponents with plate armor (if that works the way I remember it). I do remember that the paladin slaves in the Bangellian deeps were dropping like flies when I would use it on them. Either way, I still doubt it's worth carrying it around (plus fuel) all the time waiting for such an occasion.

9. soviet314

soviet314 New Member

is it actually useful to have a pistol (or any 1-handed firearm) and any techno shield (techno left-hand item) combo? I'm using a shop-bought sniper rifle and plethora of grenades (gone into explosives and chem, no gunsmithy) to pick off targets after Magnus, Jayna and Dog bind them in close combat.
    modding question: is the proto file the only thing that defines a firearm's range and damage?

10. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I find it useful to use the Flow Disruptor along with any pistol. But it depends on what kind of combat you're up against. I tend to play solo with most builds of character, so it's always wise for me to have good protection and damage. I don't recall any Minimum Strength Requirements whilst playing like that either, so it's win / win.

As far as I know though, proto files keep all the data for weapons. Damage, range, speed, ammo type, # of ammo used, etc. But modifying them is kind of awkward.

11. deathwolf

deathwolf New Member

what i can say to you is it is really worth. i hope it helps you.

12. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Deathwolf, just as a reference point...see that line on top of the post you replied to?
    It looks like this:

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:40 am Post subject:

Now see the same line on your post:

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 pm Post subject:

I've underlined the relevant parts for you.

13. Cobramax

Cobramax New Member

ive played arcanum for years and built every gun possible to with the schematics etc and alot of legwork getting the parts etc....lol...my main one is a combo like mentioned above but with ONE big difference i learned....works for tech heavy characters..i use the flow disruptor shield and a finerevolver ( because of the good fire rate to begin with AND a +5TH as well...and to top it off i have my character wearing TWO charge rings to further increase the movement rate AND fire rates. My standard backup fo heavy ranged combat is the machinegun and i also carry a pyrotechnic axe for those CQB moments. The fire rates of whatever your using ( and swings of blades etc) are increased with each charge ring you wear so i wind up with a fine revolver and a +5TH on each attack with a firing rate of the machinegun or a dagger of speed attack so the ammo i do carry lasts alot longer than using the machinegun or the others and with the added benefits of a +5TH and armor bonuses of the flow disruptor :)

14. DarkFool

Our Host!