Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well I guess calling up and pretending to be the new company CEO wouldn't work...

Just a thought though...and I can imagine the task would be laborious as hell...but what if you tried splitting the World map into 2-8 smaller maps....I mean....who really gives a hoot about the possibility of spending hours walking from one side of the map to the other anyway?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Actually dividing up the main map? I'm not sure that's even possible. Besides - you can only have one world map per game.
    Having considered it? Well - Not quite like you are thinking...
    (a very rough first attempt)
    [​IMG]

In this case, take all the adventures I was planning for Cattan, rework them to exist outside the main game, and do it to it.

Of course, entire sections of the continent can be replicated in this manner. Just use mountains and rivers to box in an area. Creating the land is easy enough - reproducing the cities, that would be considerably less so....

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Ah I see....I assume that the machine you're using has a pretty solid video card and you've got a solid amountof memory....but that map-size in indeed quite insane...

A shame to have put so much work into it only have it glitch on you

4. Arc-Rich

Arc-Rich New Member

Hi all, i'm new here and to the wonderful game of Arcanum that I only recently discovered!

I've only just found out about the isle of despair so I have a long way to go I think, but i'm really enjoying it. However, I'm already thinking about my next character to play-thorough and I stumbled across this 'WIP' mod, which from my understanding is that it's a arcanum install bundled with all the available user-created mods? A bit like FCOM for oblivion?

If so that sounds great and I look forward to giving it a go. Is it recommended for new users though?

Also, I see it has been mentioned that you should use no other mods with this install and the the WIP includes Drogs patch. However, is it ok to use the widescreen + hir-res maps + hi-res music with this mod?

Many thanks,

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

FourHorsemen: Not compared to some, but it's a combo that has given me good, reliable service for almost four years now.

This new machine is a Frankenstein with 1.6 gHz Pentium 4, with 640 mb ram, a NVIDIA GeForce 2 video card, and a cloned version of my original HD for the controls.

Arc-Rich:

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum!

Let's start here:
    Nope. Although the idea was put forward a few times and I considered it, the A:WIP is not what you think. It's a main game expansion with one (1) Troika-created module merged into it - Vormantown.
    All the rest of the new locations and adventures are original creations inspired by books, TV, and even D&D modules.
    The hack also contains a staggering amount of new artwork, new backgrounds, new schematics, a crossbow, a Tesla pistol, and a beefed up set of techno-armour. Plus - More play-time in a couple of stock-game locations, and all without actually interferring with the main quest! (At least not too much....)

Not really. The standard suggestion is to play the first game with Arcanum + 1074 patch (Vanilla Arcanum = buggy game); the second game with Arcanum + 1074 + the UAP - to see just how good the game really can be; and finally, Arcanum + 1074 + A:WIP for the fun of discovering what all I added.

The widescreen and music seems to have no problems working with my hack, but the hi-rez townmaps do not show the changes I've made to the various towns. You can use them if you want, but be willing to make allowances.

6. Arc-Rich

Arc-Rich New Member

That sounds great, thanks for the reply rroyo :)

I look forward to playing one day.

Man thanks,

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

You can also find some HoL members in the A:WIP.

8. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hmmmmmm Rroyo...640mb of RAM?

Well I know that's more than enough to run Arcanum, but maybe it's a little short for editing on such a large scale as with the world map....

Maybe if you can give me a step by step on a test I could do for you on one of my machines, to see if the extra ram makes any difference.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yeah, the 640 mb is actually a double-edged sword.
    On the downside, the lower amount of ram means that I am a bit limited on the number of NPCs or animations I can add to a sector and still have fluid movement.
    On the plus side, and since not everyone has the latest thing for computers, if a scene works alright for me, chances are good the poor schmoe using a 3-hand rig will see a similar smoothness of motion.

It's possible that this is actually too little for the large-scale modifications I've been doing *, but I can't help thinking that what I've got now would be equal to, or even better than what Troika was using back in '99 and 2000 - unless of course they were using a decent mainframe.

* Each large scene; Brandybuck, for example; requires literally a couple hundred saves during construction and dialog attachment. A little something I neglected to mention in my probable causes post.

I appreciate the offer but there's two things you should know up front:

1) Each glitch search can easily fill an hour because of all the locations and doing a 10 sector by 10 sector search around each.
    So far, virtually all the glitches have been close to or inside the areas that Troika or I modified.

2) To reasonably replicate what I'm doing for each large scene, you'd need to pick a spot, move something (a clump of grass would work), save, then move something, and save again for at least 50 times before beginning the bug-hunt. (This even sounds boring.)
    Of course, you could also plaster an area with every possible item and bit of scenery you can find; saving frequently all the while.

If you're still willing, let me know and I'll start writing up the instructions.

10. SoulKina

SoulKina New Member

Wassup, you might not remember me, but some time ago, 'round the beginning of last year I started playing my old Arcanum copy and got to WIP, which I much enjoyed. I stopped playing it and Arcanum, and visiting this forum, after some time, but it continues to be one of my favorite games, and your mod sir, is the best :D.
    (I'm being kinda incoherent, ain't I?) Anyway, I stopped by to see how's things going, I'm aware everything that has happened to you, I just haven't got to read the last couple pages, but, how are you and the project? Have you got back to your feet after that last incident, and has the A:WIP survived it?

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

We're both still here.
    Last night I went back to work on my hack, so I guess that counts for something.

12. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

I have noticed 2 main issues I'm having with the wip atm. the second floor to the shrouded hills temple can't be accessed, the librarian's dialog doesn't work. also whenever I go to a merchant not in shrouded hills the whole game crashes.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ok - Your list tells me the Arcanum5.dat isn't being read.
    So - In your main Arcanum folder, double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat.
    Start a new game long enough to run over to the ogre at the crash site and see if his racial icon (crossed clubs) is displayed.
    If it is, enjoy the game.
    If not - I'm afraid you'll have to do a reinstall to correct the problem. Sorry.

14. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

thanks. I'll try that right now.

EDIT: ok, I found out how I fubarred. I had that file you mentioned in the module folder and not in the main. lmao I see why it was crashing it was half-assing on the data retrieval b/c of that.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Your deduction is correct. The word "говняного" (translated in your link as "govnyanogo") is Russian for "shitty".

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep, that's what I thought.
    Thanks!

18. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

OK, more bad news, the game still crashes while I'm running the AWIP but does fine without it. -.- I really wanted to play it, but my POS laptop won't do it.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

And this is still happening when you visit a merchant in another town?

20. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

actually now its happening randomly. I've remove AWIP to test if it was doing this with game as a whole. It was only with the AWIP that it was crashing

Our Host!