If I said Caladon ... (Updated)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by rroyo, Jan 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

...would you first think of the Whytechurch Murders or Cynthia Wit?
    I'm asking because a side-project has me unsure which one to keep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I'm working on a series of new opening splash screens.
    (I'm asking here in the hopes of getting a wider response.)

Here's the other ones that are done:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/Splash/

2. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Whytechurch Murders were a more significant line of quests to me. Besides, they are a nice homage to Jack the Ripper.

3. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Whytechurch, definitely. Murder mysteries are great fun! Werewolves... meh.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I had to look Cynthia Witt up to remember it, but the Whitechyrch murders? Instant recollection.

6. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

werewolves+ Jacob black= Twilight of the bareback gayness.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

GAH! *twitch* Do I need to add a 'Don't Mention Twilight' rule to the FAQ? Because I will if it means I never have to acknowledge its existance again.

(I was dared into reading Breaking Dawn. :cry: :throwup: We so need a 'Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!' smilie right now.)

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Rule number one: Don't you ever mention anything about Twilight to Xiao. If you do this, you will sparkle like a burning christmis tree. *gets a can of flammable subtance, and a torch.

9. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

For some reason, I'd be more reminded of the "Kill Auguste Farad" mission, or that descendant of a Saint.

Still, between the two, definitely the Sherlock Holmes like picture.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Mr. Holmes it is.

Thank you everyone.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thanks to a sleepless night and Waromon having me dig through the interface folder, I think I've made something that looks like it belongs with the game.
    Opinions....?

[​IMG]

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Niiiiiiiice. I like it. Very Victoriana, very Arcanum.

13. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Looks awesome.

The only thing that could use some work perhaps is the description box. Perhaps make the top and bottom lines more closer to the center, and use emboss on a copied layer, so the text-box looks like framing.

You know, something like this:

[​IMG]

The white part could use moving up a little bit though in my example. Ohi and I should've removed the white lines on the top and the right sides of the picture.

I can get you a proper version if you like the tweaks.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Xiao & Mesteut: You're welcome.

Mesteut: The embossing is exactly what's needed to make the discription box take on a real 3-D nickelodeon-card effect. So yeah, if you're still willing, here's the template: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/Splash/Template.jpg.

You'll notice I made the description page a bit taller to overcome (I hope) the loss of a few pixels worth of space caused by the embossing and a bit narrower to minimize the crowding of the brass decorations.

And thanks!

15. theorel

theorel New Member

I also agree that this looks like an excellent addition to the game. Except for the font.
    Is there any way to make the font for CALADON come from Morph15(or 30) font?(it's the one from the menu and character creation name. And it should be red rather than gold I think.(like the character creation screen, etc.)
    EDIT: Icons17/32 font has the same font...a couple different sizes.

Random thought on the text box: I think it should be either: white text on black background, or a textured background, such as from Book_Main.art black text on straight white, just seems wrong for Arcanum.(maybe that's just me though)

And finally, a bit of editing of the textbox for grammar:
    Although renowned for its stunning architecture, the city has recently received unwanted fame due to the brutal murders in the Whytechurch District. Detectives on the case are predicting a swift resolution.

As I said at the start, it looks excellent. I just think these few tweaks would make it blend in a bit better with the art already present in the game.

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I like this. Would tinting the image toward a browner (and closer to Victorian) colour work with the background? Or would it make it too monochromatic?

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Theorel: Yes, the Morpheus font - I have that. Good call. Although I used it on the ones in the OP, I completely spaced on it the second time around.

Implementing your proofreading suggestion. I tend to write like I speak, which is not correct English.

The description sheet is not true white. It's actually a section of the telegram blank. It had the least amount of "distortion and rippling" in the image. You know - the simulated aging and curves in the paper.

Grakelin: The sepia and brown tones adds way too much brown to the picture. Using the gray tint to simulate a tin-type photo offsets the monochromatic look quite a bit. I tried adding old-photo graininess, but even with the gray, the combo just about made this image unusable. Too much detail was lost. So - I'll stick with straight gray tinting.

Finally - Here's a couple that uses Theorel's suggestions. I think I still like brass for the name plate.
    Edit: Photobucket is messing me up here. The red lettering is actually as crisp as the the brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. theorel

theorel New Member

This is closer to what I was envisioning.
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure that it's an improvement over the brass lettering, but I think it's a better representation of the red-lettering. I got it by taking a screenshot of the character creation screen with a character named CALADON. (I scaled it up 120%)

Anyways, it might merit playing around with.
    Also, I just saw that random white square in the text-box...maybe it could use a bit of "smudging" on the corners.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

OK - I'll admit, the red lettering is not bad - but maybe if it was a touch more maroon than bright red - just a touch. I'll play around with it some more after work.
    The brass still appeals to me though.

And thanks for pointing out the white square. (Blame it on insomnia.) I'll get it cloned over.

20. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Our Host!