Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Oracle

Oracle Member

got home,

Installed arcanum on anothor lpcation
    installed official patch
    installed WIP6.0

edited the teleport.mes file to teleport to isle of despair (useing drog cheat app).

Found the beast and dominated him and he has 38 free character points to spend :) As for Weldo I cannot check him that fast as he is unlock by the storyline gameplay.

Well I can confirm that my installation was bad as I never seen the WIP6.0 book in the beginning (only saw the 4.0 version). haha.

I also would like to say that without any editing I was the in the option menu that the titles where missing (like difficulty, allways run etc).

Update:

With help of the debug mode I rushed to the thanatos storyline.
    I spend 50000 gold again but the helm of the ship is still locked..
    So even with a fresh install I get these results :(

Huray for the debug mode though since you can unlock the ships with it :)

2. caffeine666

caffeine666 New Member

hi rroyo, thanks for your big work ;) i started to play arcanum for about the 20th time ;) and first with your patch ;)

i have a question....

i have made a little mod, i created some BGs with the mes files way (creating 3 files etc...)

i created a gunslinger bg (+2dex +2 pe -2wp -1str)

and i started to play, i had 13 dex
    i made my first charged rings... and.... dex is always 13, as i can see also my companions have the same problem....
    so i don't think it's background problem...

is it a known bug of your patch?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum, caffeine666!
    Glad to hear you're willing to give my hack a try.

To answer your question, this is not a bug I've ever heard of before.
    Hmmm.... If it was just the PC who was effected I'd suspect a typo in the effect.mes listing, but since the followers have the same problem, I just don't know.
    Post the background, if you would. All three entries.

Also - Have there been any other malfunctions, like the merchants' inventories not replenishing or the chest not being visible at the Crash Site?

4. Darkform

Darkform New Member

1) I THINK it is a background problem.

2) are you saying followers DEX becomes 13 when they equip it, or that they get no DEX +?

3) if the problem is what I think it is you and your followers just don't have a high enough tech score to benifit from the +DEX on a charged ring. this comes to mind because you didn't mention that you know you reached the tech lvl to have it work right when you posted AND normaly the darn things never work on Virgial (this kinda upsets me when I have a tech char.).

4) if you have enough skill to make them AND have 2+ ranks you used char points for in firearms then you should at least get a +1 DEX, but if you made the bg give firearms skill and other tech skills WITHOUT spending about 4 actual char points on tech stuff then you probably don't have enough of a tech rateing. I would sudgest editing the BG to give +35 to 60 tech aptitude (if that or spending char points in tech stuff doesn't fix it then you have a bad install.).

note: if you change the bg you may not notice a diffrence in your save game (I think after leaveing char creation the bg effects are locked on the char and changeing the definitions of the background won't change the previosly made char.) and if the game is on when you change the background you have to close the game and restart for it to take effect. so if you want to edit the background you should close the game, edit the background, start the game and then make a new char.

some of this I know from editing my own bgs and also giveing the bg some extra things. if by chance you did give the background + skill in firearms and gave it a (or some) charged ring(s) then without the 4 char points in something tech the rings would do absolutely nothing and testing them on Virgial would also do nothing since he not only has low tech but also has a positive magick score which meens not only will they not work on him but the ring should tell you he has a better chance for a crit failure while he is wearing it. I think this may be your problem if you're human you have 8 DEX +2 from bg +3 from char points = your 13 DEX you spent 2 char points for rank 2 in electric, all your firearms skill is from bg, and as part of the bg you get parts for makeing a few charged rings, probably a modiest # like 2 4 or 6 but I would say at least 2 and not more than 6 and takeing these in consideration you started the game talked to, Virgial, made the rings, tryed 2 on and gave 2 to Virgial, you may or may not have noticed them not giveing + DEX right away but did notice that you only had 13 action points durring the first fight and looked at your DEX then Virgials noticeing that nether of you had a DEX boost from the rings and immidiately thought somehow the game wasn't recognizeing the +2 DEX of each ring and decided to post a posable bug.

am i right? :)

edited to fix some of the worst spelling errors.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Your friends must get really pissed at you if you mess up their names like that.

6. Darkform

Darkform New Member

actually most of the time I give friends nicknames so that it"s not as noticeable that I forgot their name.

7. caffeine666

caffeine666 New Member

wow, ok, now i will give it a try to all your suggestions ;)

truly i didn't know about tech, becaus in all my tech carachters, charged ring was always one of the first things i made...
    but i always used "no background"...
    so know that you are saying this to me, it is new to me, cause i always had to spent various tech points, before wearing the ring... probably now that i used that profile, i didn't spend enough ;)

thanks, i will give your suggestions a try ;)

thanks rroyo for your good work, i'm now at ivory lake and i took the female gunslinger ehehhehehe

edit update

i tried to spend 2 points and got my tech point to 60, and priscilla (female gunslinger) is 22, no one of the 2, has the dex bonus.... i think i have to try with a new character, without personal background... probably...
    i think i will take a background, and customize it with arcanum editor (changing bonuses)

8. Darkform

Darkform New Member

useing world ed to cheack AWIPs tech lvl for charged ring it is set to 25. and partualy makeing a char and putting 2 points in tech set my magick/tech to 11 on the tech side. I think you should get +1 DEX per ring at 13-14 tech rateing and +2 DEX per ring at 25+ tech rateing.

on your save that you raised the tech over these values did you remove and re equip the ring(s)? with some items they only cheeck your magick/tech when you equip them.

if that doesn't work AND you have at least 13 on the tech side then I do belive you had a bg AND a bug problem. it has been sooo long since my techies started with less than 27+ on the tech side (even on my half-Elf techie biuld) that I haven't had the problem lately myself.

I have played AWIP a few times in 6.0 and haven't found a problem with the charged rings so after unequiping and reequiping the rings on that save of over 25 in tech if the rings still don't work you most likely will need to reinstall AWIP.

9. caffeine666

caffeine666 New Member

mmmm so you suggest to reinstall wip, before starting a new game? didn't think, probably this will repair ;) i hope ;)

ah i have already installed the modified arcanum5.dat from this post ;) don't know if it could be important, but better to notice than not ;)

10. Darkform

Darkform New Member

all the info the game looks at for the charged ring is in Arcanum5.dat so if you replaced it with a new one that is still compatible with AWIP then it is as good as a reinstall for your problem.

I didn't mention that possibility because I figured you couldn't manage to get one so easily and I figured you wanted to start playing your custom bg as quickly as you could (most likely you wanted to play the bg even before you made it and have been longing to try it out AND have your gear working right while playing on it.) (I know when I make a change I really wish instead of having to make the change I could just go ahead and play the change already. it is how I started doing minor changes then more and more advanced changes.) (you may be interested in the Meca-Suit that I made a proto, schematic proto, and scripts to make work of that Rroyo was kind enough to add to AWIP. the Meca-Suit is like a advanced machined plate and in game is placed farther along than the machined plate schematic was.)

welcome to modding (ya some people including yourself may not think you are a modder but what is createing custom bgs other than a basic form of modding?). and possibly if you feel you want something that a custom bg can't get done you might even expand into modding even harder things to mod.

11. Oracle

Oracle Member

can someone comfirm that buying the boat (thanathos quest in black root) doesn't unlock the helm of the ship?

12. caffeine666

caffeine666 New Member

ok i have discovered it...

was the background the problem, i tried to move away modded BG files, and charged rings work ;)

i had a suspect, when i tried to use books to enhance my weapons...
    it didn't work...

removing those files, worked, and charged rings too

it was like, the background were blocking every stat bonus...

no problems ;) i will play wip without modded background... i made my custom background editing my character ;)

13. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm PMing you with a description of something you can do that may make you be able to use your own backgrounds without the effect.mes being messed up.

14. caffeine666

caffeine666 New Member

here i am again ;) thanks dark for your pm ;) i'm trying after this game ;)

now i have a new question... how i use the boat at secret landing on isle of despari?

when i try to use it (i've been there with main quest)
    it doesn't anything...

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You need to own a boat to be able to use that one and the one at Veloren.

Since no one is piping up, I suspect the problem is with your install.

Love to know why so many people are having install problems...
    :thinkof:

16. Oracle

Oracle Member

Look the install went ok. Install arcanum - Install latest patch - Install your mod (didn't forget the patch to put in the module folder). It isn't that hard. I used the Debug mod for some quick testing without any aditions from my side. still weird things are happening.

Anyway I'll stop posting bug related problems now seeing it doesn't get taken seriously anymore since I a have a bad install...

Still like the mod though Rroyo :) that templar dude sure has alot of HP :p

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is rroyo and I'll be modding your video game today!

By means both fair and foul I've gotten my hack working again - with an added bonus!
    By raiding Car-Arcanum for parts I somehow got the Wandering Merchants working! Whoo-hoo!

Before the day is out I'll be putting out a call for volunteers to help check out the main map for damaged areas as well as verify the merchants will work for someone besides me. :p

Oracle: Thank you.
    Sorry I couldn't have been more help to you but if something's not working right from the word go, then it's not going to get better on its own.

18. Oracle

Oracle Member

Rroyo, I'm afraid in need some help at the Iron Clan (man that disign is huge!)

anyway, could you pm me what to do after I got Hirae's note? Really want to find this big treasure now :)

also I found a balista at the iron clan which I couldn't use (had like 87356094% heal skill on it)
    But you know it might be my install again right?

just bringing this up. coundn't hurt anyone right? :p

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The Iron Clan went from one extreme to another, huh? :D

About the note: Rather than p.m. you with an open secret, I'll just answer it here. You're not going to like this but the second half of that treasure hunt hasn't been built yet. When it is, you'll return to P. Schyler's for the next clue.

The crossbow and it's healing powers: Holy hell! Forget healing potions. Shoot yourself with that thing! You'd be immortal. :lol:
    Seriously though - that's no where near right.

On to other business.

Link and info deleted 1/6/10

20. xtanelli

xtanelli New Member

First off, i'm new to the forums, 2nd.. i'm not that new to the game, played and bought the CD first time I saw.

Played it even on safe mode and my vid card can't even run it well, it has those squares that has black and stuff on it -.-, but still, played it :D

Enough about me, i'm quite surprised at first to see that there are loads of people actually still playing this game, it's so great and diverse that no two games are the same ^^

ANYWAYS..
    erm.. I reinstalled the game, patched it and placed this module, i followed the steps but whenever i get to click the "NEXT" button on the backgrounds, my game.. it doesn't crash i think, it just wents black, then i would just close the game over all, dunno if it's just me, is there a work around on this?

Gonna try and play by not looking at those added BGs first. gonna edit and repost here after.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I played and up to shrouded hills only, everything was ok I guess? The chests were there with the gun, those jackets and that -10k weight apples.

But what are the books for? and how would Virgil mark maps?

Our Host!