Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

lol, not a bug per se, but...

the Ashbury pigs seem to be good aligned. That is, Magnus complains when you attack them. I don't think I can kill more than one without feeding him some Dwarven snuff :lol: Still it's annoying.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I recall someone saying pretty much the same thing as you did, suggesting that their alignment should be changed to 0 in the UAP, but Drog refused to do so, arguing that killing those pigs only because they are eating the crops is an evil act. Apparently he's not a fan of this point of view.

3. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

how could he do so. They're wild pigs man. Wild pigs. They had it coming for them.

OTOH, it might be a nice touch that creatures have different alignments. Obviously, all the bunnies n chickens in Shrouded Hills are good aligned too, or they wouldn't go mad at rage at you murdering their local shopkeepers.

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If you really want to make it officially, here are some alignments of some of the animals. I could only remember these ones from the rules of the First Edition of AD & D:

*Carp must be good.

*Cat must be chaotic.

*Crab has no alignment restriction.

*Crane must be good.

*Dog must be good.

*Drake must be good.

*Fox must be evil.

*Hare must be good.

*Monkey must be chaotic.

*Raccoon Dog must be evil.

*Rat must be evil.

*Sparrow must be good.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Later editions of D&D make more sense in this regard, setting all animals to be True Neutral. The rationale for this is that animals lack the ability for abstract thinking required to do anything other than following their instincts. A wolf could hardly be accused of being evil for killing sheep, it's just what wolves do.

By the way, I really do hope that 1st edition D&D didn't perceive squirrels as being good aligned.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Had some bad experiences with those cuddly little monsters, DE?

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've personally witnessed them snatch hatchlings from bird's nests (one got royally pwned by the enraged mother though, who chased him across a yard to, I presume, beat the living daylight out of him).

This is why I always object to people who find them cute.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, there were two kinds of squirrels. That will be the normal squirrel, and the carnivorous, flying Squirrel. (I remember something about Dark Squirrels as well, so that makes three kinds of squirrels.) I presume that they lean more toward to the chaotic.

9. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Molesting children is just what a child mole... no let's not get into that.

also, "monkeys must be chaotic", wtf they form communities. I like how versatile the crab(meat) is though (it really is)

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well then it's official. I should be allowed to slaughter as many bunnies as I wish without suffering from any aptitude penalties.

11. Samoye

Samoye New Member

I'm not sure anyone's still reporting bugs since the UAP got discontinued... but I can always hope, right? :D

Just started playing Arcanum again and was pleasantly surprised to see a still active community. Anyway, back to the topic, found these on my last playthrough, there were more I saw, but these are the ones I scribbled down. Using 1074 and Drog's UAP.

1. Ben Jacobs in Shrouded Hills describes Constable Owens as 'lilly-livered'. That should be 'lily' with one L.

2. You can ask for the head of the zoological department in Tarant, Dr. Tristan Fenwick, before knowing who he is. I believe you're supposed to know him from a Thieves' Underground mission.

3. You've to ask Matt de. Cesare's name before he shoots dead um... that cheerful half-orc who wants to see him. This is true even if you've met him before. Don't really think this is a bug, there just isn't a dialog option to greet him as if you know him.

4. You can ask for Rorry Limes even after finding the lost painting. I might... or might not have had the note still in my inventory. Nevertheless, bug.

5. You can tell the mayor you killed his guards even if you didn't. I don't really have the details of this... I remember the quest was supposed to be solved at that point, I think I had the taxes. But there was something definitely wrong with this line

6. You can tell Stanley Xavier that you heard he was the man to see about the Stillwater Giant... before you ask for an introduction. I suppose you could rationalize this away by assuming his name was displayed outside the house.

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Thanks for the news, rroyo.

It begs the question, will UAP v091225 be included in A:WIP 7.0?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

15. junovalkyrie

junovalkyrie New Member

I know Drog isn't supporting this anymore, but maybe someone else can help me.

I just installed Arcanum (GOTY version) on a new computer. Whenever I try to install the Unofficial Arcanum Patch, it tells me that "This patch is for the English version of the game only." But the version I've installed is English, and an earlier version of the patch installed just fine on my old computer. Does anyone know how I might "fool" the installer into thinking I've got the English version installed?

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, junovalkyrie!
    I'm sorry to say, but it seems no one here knows how.

Bug reports:

Shrouded Hills temple - the nightstands and dresser have the wrong names.

Kree - The staff-wielding barbarian in the back of town needs to have the KOS flag set.

Tarant - Appleby's safe has the wrong name.
    A rat at Plough's warehouse needs to have the KOS flag set.

17. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

grak and cesare bug

I am having the bug where grak does not show up after "look out"

i tried removing the proto file but that did not help

the only mods/patches I have are

gog game
    latest patch
    uap
    hi res patch.

18. Suicide Boy

Suicide Boy New Member

I registered for the sole purpose of solving this issue, since no one else seems to have the answer. I might end up staying a while to hang out, though. Old-school Wasteland/Fallout/BIS/Troika fan here! I've recently started playing through Arcanum again for the first time in years.

The UAP is a self-extracting LMZ archive. You can download 7-Zip for free, use it to open UAP091225.exe, then just drag and drop the files into your Arcanum directory.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Never enough of those around. Welcome aboard!

20. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

what worked for me was a new install of game, uap patch. then i played, got him to show up, then saved , then added hi res. it worked

Our Host!