Jayna Stiles?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Warpscum, Nov 30, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Warpscum

Warpscum New Member

I am thinking of doing a Technologist and kicking Virgil out in favour for Jayna Stiles. But can she really replace Virgil as a healer? I probably most do so as my Tech Aptitude will start blocking Virgils spells, anyway.

Also, how does she heal? Do you have to get her ingrediences and stuff and in return she gives you potions, or what?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Jayna is a great tech equivalent of a Virgil as a healer, if you would ask me.

She'll heal you automatically if she has bandages in her inventory (which is bad, because she uses them more often than it's needed, for example when you are X health points below the maximum, while the bandages can heal 3X health points, thus using them very inefficiently).

You'll have the possibility to ask her to make tech items from any schematics she knows, and the healing salves are among them. Of course she will make the same mistake with the salves as with the bandages, so I would suggest gathering as much ginka roots and kadura stems you can get, filling her inventory with them (and actually all available inventory space), keeping the raw materials, but asking her to do salves only when they are needed. This tactic is profitable in terms of both inventory space and capacity, too. As for when you and all your followers all filled with the herbs, use the excess of herbs to make salves and sell them.

3. Phadech

Phadech New Member

Jayna, like all followers, doesn't use bandages economically. I'm not saying she is totally useless, but after making her heal you at low levels until you have enough Heal skill yourself, I suggest taking all bandages from her. If you're a techie, you'll probably have lots of IN anyway and all you need is to spend maximum 5 points on Heal.
    If you choose the Mad Doctor background, you'll be able to receive Master training with 4 hard points on Heal which has even lower IN requirement.

Back to Jayna... Other than learning Heal and some schematics, she is a generic melee fighter. I don't recall if she has enough CP's to have 20 ST for maximum damage bonus (heh, probably not, does she even spend any points on ST?) but she doesn't suffer from Critical Failures from tech-magick affinity so she can deliver good damage with tech stuff like Machined Gauntlets or Pyrotechnic Axe. And like Muro said, you can make some profit from having her make you salves with the herbs you collect from the wilderness in random encounters or wherever.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I believe that she has enough strength to wield the pyrotechnic axe without too much trouble, but that's about it. Not that ogrish strength is really required with that particular weapon.

5. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Jayna

Im using her this particular time through the game,

Once she gets her healing up to a certain point its not hard to keep her stocked with bandages, although It is annoying when You first get her, but now shes a life saver, espicailly since virgil cant heal me,

I would recommend if your a techie, either learning how to heal yourself or getting Jayna,

But one really annoying thing is that she doesnt use the fatigue restorers, so if you passed out with - 73 like I was your going to be waiting a while.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

How the HELL did you wind up with -73 fatigue??? @_@

7. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    He has a mod to take on ALL of Madam Lil's girl, the sheep and the bartender?

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Plus the doorman too Madam Li's, and Mr. Langley.

Turns out the healing salve has other uses. ;)

but yea, how does a technologist get -73 fatigue without having been beat to death?

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Perhaps he Quench Lifed Belle while he was at it.

10. Kirov

Kirov New Member

LOl

No no no no,

I was puzelled myself, I almost died, but jayna kept using healing salves and thus saved my life,

And im not bullshitting either, I dont remember exactly where I was, and no I didnt have a massive orgy at Madam lils, although getting rammed by an ogre is likley to cause you not to wake up for a while, lol

Anyway, I was just as surprised as all of you people reading this when that Happened, plus i was like level 23 when It happened, so I Couldnt wake up for a long time, It really pissed me off, I think I ate a whole bowl of soup then drove to starbucks, when I got back, I still had like -5.

11. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Re: LOl

holy shit, best post ever?

Anyways, I guess critically hitting yourself while you're high on health but already very low on fatigue could do something like that

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Hey Kirov, I'm guessing you're playing in real time? If you would be playing in turn based (or changed to turn based before ending the fight), it would probably take about half of a minute to regenerate that fatigue. Just sayin'.

13. Xz

Advancing time an hour works quite well too.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

One can't advance time if his fatigue is negative.

15. Xz

I'll take your word for it.

16. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Unfourtunatly Muro Is right,

Lol by the way, lets see witch main character name I can get wrong this time so muro posts that Image agian

lets see, so far ive said

Kerrigan, instead of Kerghan,

And I got the "Tulla mage spirit all-seeing floaty over his pool guy" wrong

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ah, Pelojian, he of the extremely annoying name.

18. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

One of the reasons why I have a weird sentimental attachment to the charged sword is that it makes a great weapon for Jayna.

The weight and speed are acceptable, and the random electrical damage suddenly makes her able to get some one-hit kills.

So, she kicks butt... but not so much that she starts poaching too many of your kills and making it harder to gain levels.

I have mixed feelings about giving followers good weapons. In my opinion, the charged sword is a good compromise between combat effectiveness and making sure you still do some of the killing.

19. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Years ago when I was being introduced to the game by Uncle "basment" Sean, (yes I had an uncle who lived in my basment, with now windows, and one light bulb, and what at the time would have been considerd a supercomputer.)

Anyway, I watched him lose 3 swords of air to virgil, lol stupid virgil had butterfingers bigtime,

But come to think of it, Jayna styles has neverdropped anything of mine, but shes broken a bunch of shit, but Maxim fixes that stuff for cheap.

But alas, I no longer have a game with jayna in it, I just switched over to the wip 6.0 version, its pretty cool.

20. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Re: Jayna

This sounds like it ought to be a competition. See who can get the lowest fatigue, but still be alive. (screenshots necessary, of course)

Our Host!