This game has incredible cult following.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Howard Stern, Nov 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

This game was released in 2001 and to this day people all over the world post new comments DAILY on this message board devoted to this game. If you stop and think about that, that's amazing. It really is a testament to how original the whole storyline is and how well put together all other elements that make up the game world are. A lot of depth is found in all aspects of this game. I've got to say my favorite fantasy setting of all time. Mixing J.R.R. Tolkien's middle earth with early Victorian England Industrial revolution. Genius.

People are still putting out new patches and everything. Sequels should definitely have been made to this game.

Just felt like putting that out there and getting feedback.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I can agree with pretty much everything except the sequels. This game is a piece of art and any sequel would introduce a great probability of rubbing that piece of art with shit because of being - at best - merely a good continuation to an incredible game. There's no way there could be a worthy sequel which would satisfy every true fan. No, not after all of these years and playthroughs.

Not to mention that whatever continuation would it be, it would probably create hordes of leetspeaking fantards hypnotized by the super duper graphics and such instead of the game's atmosphere and depth. Being an Arcanum fan wouldn't be so elite anymore. It would no longer be a testimony of good taste.

And what would happen to this place? Threads full of squealing and retardness? Good heavens. No, I prefer the game having a smaller (yet alive and kicking!) fanbase, but one composed of devoted and - more or less - oldschool players. Yes for cynical, no for kindergarten.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I just can't wait for Bethseda Softworks to get their hands on Arcanum and make a sequel.

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

BAH! Don't even joke about that shit! That would herald the second coming of the Evil One, and this time the Living One won't be around to stop them! Do you really want some kind of 'Kerghan didn't really die, for reals' bullshit going on?

5. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
  6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would love for a studio to produce another game in the Arcanum realm, maybe a hundred or two years down the line, with an unrelated story line.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

...My brain just exploded in terror.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Actually, there was a very real risk that Arcanum could have gone down the Oblivion path, what with Troika planning Journey to the Center of Arcanum to be an fps built upon the Half-Life 2 engine. Even if we grant them some leeway (hell, they were Troika, not Bethesda), an fps would just have been a bad continuation on the series. At best we would have been given another Vampire game. Bloodlines was great, but it just doesn't compare to Arcanum.

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well no we'd ban them and they'd go make some other shitty forum.

10. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

instead of making a sequel the original coders of the game should come together and finally stamp out all of the bugs and glitches to make this game the hallmark of computer gaming it could potentially be. Then I'd play this game to death (imagine the wave of new mods this might spawn)

11. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/uap.html

12. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Drog's already done that.
    But if they want to get together and do another story in the Arcanum world (as was stated by someone, recently), that would be great.

EDIT: Doh! Beat by Cloaked Figure. =)

13. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

nah, I'm talking about the hardcoded stuff.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Quite a bit of that was done too.

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

IF, and that's a very big fucking if, a new Arcanum game was made, I'd like it set about 150-200 years after the events of the original, when technology has almost completely wiped out magic, and have the plot revolving around the efforts of extremist, desperate mages trying to bring magick back into dominance using whatever tactics necessary.

....Aaaaaaaaaaand now I know what I'm writing after I finish Grand Symphony.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned with what happens to Tulla after Vendigroth was risen from the ashes. Those poor mages thinking they were safe out in the desert only to have built pretty much right next to the technological marvel of the world.

17. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

Exactly like they did with Shadowrun (SNES). They made a garbage FPS sequel.

18. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

Ahh, Shadowrun... I remember you.

On the topic of an Arcanum sequel, I would like to assert my opinion that I would rather see Arcanum destroyed whole than brutishly sequel'd. As for the cult following, I've got to say that I much prefer it this way. I may not be popular here, but I happen to like this place, and the general setting here. Partly for the novelty of seeing people speak normal english, and use reasonable logic. We've got five coins heads-up, and I don't see any reason to flip twenty more, if you get my meaning.

19. Phadech

Phadech New Member

Here's your feedback Howard Stern. I'll only accept a sequel by the remnants of the original Troika studio, and it seems highly improbable at this point.

If a kid or teen wants to play Arcanum so badly, he should just get his hands on it and play it as intended instead of hoping for a possible sequel by Bethesda or whoever. As proven by Fallout 3, a modern sequel to a classic usually means lowering the game to the level of idiots and ruining everything that made it so great. Arcanum: Of Analworks and Vile Scumsuckura. Coming soon to XBox 360, PS3 and PC! Shiny graphics, ten times less content.

And imagine all the threads newbies will make here like Muro Lightning said.

"hai guyz I liek Halo nad Fallout 3 will I leik dis gaem????"

I wish there was a vomit emoticon to express my feelings.

20. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

My theory:
    Vendigrothians get pissed, kill Arronax after they rise again, nuke/Vendigroth-Device (which would be like a perma-kill nuke) Tulla, then go "Enclave" over the rest of Arcanum.

A few genocides later, only the Human race exists in a techno-fascist society.

I like the idea.

Our Host!