Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

I just reinstalled the game, 1074+uap+Virgil debug menu+universal level cap remover.
    The game tends to crash randomly when giving myself xp to level up past 50. It seems to be somewhat random. Once it crashed at when I gained level 74, another time at level 97.
    Another problem I had was with Magnus. I killed the Schuyler brothers without initiating dialogue and now Magnus won't continue his dialogue when leaving the dungeon. I also have this problem if I use Teleportation or Exit scrolls to bypass having to physically walk out.

2. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

@midfiks Maybe she likes killing innocents( plz guys dun start this beggar thingy again:) ).

3. Iscarius

Iscarius New Member

Hello, first post here. I have Arcanum, the official 1074 path, unofficial patch (81229), HighRes1.1, and HQTownmaps installed. Lemme know if I need to provide more information.

I've been having problems with the game crashing when I try to move across the world map. And it's been when I do certain quests in Tarant. After I do the quest for Sebastian in the Boil where I have to kill both gangs, it starts doing it. I think it also happens if I just kill the remaining gang (Maug) without even completing the quest with Sebastian. It also starts happening when I do the first Thieves Underground quest (the sewer plans). Basically, when I go to the world map, my party moves for just a second or two, and then the game crashes.

Also, when I take a ship to Half-Ogre Island, there's no captain on the ship once I get there.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I may try and help when I can, but just so everyone knows, Drog Black Tooth, the maker of UAP, is no longer a resident on these forums. He deleted his account a few days ago, and seems to have withdrawn some of his contributions, as well.

5. kcwong

kcwong New Member

Looks like he decided it is finally the time to nail Arcanum's coffin close... and move on to other things.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's because of the High Resolution Patch. Long thing short, if you turn the resolution back to normal just for the moment of arriving on the island, the Captain should be there.

7. Iscarius

Iscarius New Member

Ah ok, thanks. I was just gonna wait until I got Teleport to do that quest... Sucks that I apparently got here right after the King of Arcanum finally resigned. Anyone have a clue about the world map glitching stuff? That's what's really frustrating me.

8. DarkFool

Explain your problem better, and check the "Arcanum and Vista" thead. There's a number of switches in there you can add to Arcanum, and one may remedy this.

9. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Latest "upcoming changes" of UAP anywhere?

I would like to include some of the bugfixes from the latest unreleased UAP in my Czech unofficial patch. Do you (anybody) have a backup copy of the latest version of "http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/uap.html#upcoming"?? I am going to do some research (reverse engineering:) and fix the text files (dlg, mes) at least. Unfortunately I am not able to do any exe modifying hacks, but those DLG/MES fixes will be enough amount of work for this winter...

10. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Found a bug

I dont know if this was already posted,
    But In the applebee residence the safe in the back, is listed as a wooden chest.

But it has the art of a safe.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Kirov: Nice catch. There's no mention of this in the repair list.

DDTerr: Sorry. It looks like you're out of luck on getting a list.

12. Kirov

Kirov New Member

13. DarkFool

Re: Latest "upcoming changes" of UAP anywhere?

While he is by no means anyone's favorite person around here anymore, I would sincerely recommend getting the assistance of DBT/EJ, rather than just hacking his work to bits, and stamping your seal on whatever is cooked up from the remains.

14. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Re: Latest "upcoming changes" of UAP anywhere?

Each patch release comes with a changelog so check there.

15. Wenar

Wenar New Member

Darkfool wrote:
    "Drog Black Tooth, the maker of UAP, is no longer a resident on these forums. He deleted his account a few days ago, and seems to have withdrawn some of his contributions, as well."

Oh My God !
    And he didn't Wrote a post for telling us goodby :(
    His Unoficial Patch made me bought Arcanum 3 month ago to retry the game i've discovered 7 years ago.

Please tell me there is post where i can thanks him and cry for his return !

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Wenar!

You're there.

17. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Double Virgil:

I refused to join Virgil after the crash, and upon returning to the crash site, a second Virgil appeared next to the first one, doing exactly the same line as the original one. This has never happened to me before the UAP, so I guess it's a genuine UAP bug.

Also one question, after the UAP treasure in the kite shaman's chest seems severely upgraded, was this intended and does it happen to other chests in the game?

18. Scope

Scope New Member

I'm not complaining about this patch, but I do have a question about it and I would very much like to have an answer. The question is this: is there ANY CHANCE that this patch was the culprit in the murder of my computer?

My laptop is dead. Deceased. When I press the power button, the LED lights come on, and the backlight for the screen lights up but there is nothing. Just blackness. Today I handed it over to a repairman, or mortician depending on how it goes.

What happened was, I downloaded the game. I actually own a copy, but I borrowed it out a couple of years ago and now I've forgotten who borrowed it. My first download was corrupt, it couldnt transfer the file Arcanum1.dat, and I tried an unorthodox manual install. It didnt work, but it created a breathable atmosphere for my saved games when I had to reset my computer to an earlier point later on.

I deleted the folder, re-downloaded the install disc and installed the game. it worked perfectly. I installed the latest version of this patch, the high-res patch and the level cap raiser thingy.

In shrouded hills, speaking to the gnome wizard who wants to destroy the steam engine, everything froze. I couldn't alt+tab, ctrl+alt+delete or anything. I killed the power.

The computer was pretty much coughing up blood, it had so much difficulty getting back up. It restored to before the installation. By this time, I was hooked, and I realize now how incredibly stupid this was but I installed the game again. The saves were intact in the folder from the "manual install". This time I didn't use the level cap thingy or the high-res patch, hoping that one of these was the culprit. (It could have been something else entirely of course, like norton antivirus.)

The game functioned perfectly, I played for most of a day, but when I was surfing later on the computer spontaneously dropped dead, back to the black screen. I rebooted but nothing worked, so I found another PC and checked HP support. They recommended taking out the battery. This worked like a charm, and with almost unbearable stupidity I installed the game yet again.

I played it another whole day, shut it off, went to sleep, started it up, browsed a few webpages and had a look in the arcanum install folder when it finally died. Not even the battery thing worked anymore. I've handed it in.

Now I know that there's a chance I might get a hold of that saved game file if the repairman copies the hard drive. I'm itching to play. What do you guys recommend I do?

Nice forum btw.

19. Scope

Scope New Member

Also I could report some bugs since that's what this thread is for. Provided my previous post describes what is actually a bug, then it's a huge one. Here are some minor ones.

I don't know if these things were in the original game since it's so long ago I played it. But Virgil is a pain. He refuses to heal Magnus until Magnus is so low on HP he is way past the threshold of being one-punched by anything larger than an ailing wolf.

Even out of combat, magnus is running around on half hp with virgil on a full fatigue bar, and he never gets healed until way way later. Once I had the time to do seven boring fetch quests in Tarant before Virgil suddenly noticed that Magnus was bleeding to death. Yet Virgil heals the others just fine.

Also sometimes, when I fireflash something, as I'm wont to do, as soon as combat is over my NPCs go haywire and start beating like crazy on a lamppost or a window or some other random piece of furniture, until it breaks or their weapons do or until I run away and they notice I'm missing.

Also this is probably not a bug per se, but the entire team pick up EVERYTHING. Broken swords and shields, CK sugar, mostly heavy bulky things that noone will buy. I've actually had to use the trashcans in Tarant just to get rid of rubbish. Oddly appropriate.

They make strange, inferior choices when deciding on what equipment in their inventory they should use as well. Sometimes I stick something vastly superior to their current gear in their inventory and they ignore it, sometimes they switch out a good sword for a cursed one with better max damage.

And this may be me not knowing a particular hot key, but I can't get the hud to stay up. It minimizes, and I have to press "I" or "M" or some other key to get it up and select a spell that's not in my minimal hud "bar" on the bottom.

Sometimes after saving or loading the hud wont come up at all, no matter what I press. This can be sometimes be solved by talking to an npc and asking to trade. Reloading also works.

Hope something here is helpful.

20. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I had never of such problems with my Arcanum plus Patch, on my computer, or on the laptop. So I don't know what caused this.

Did you have the same problems when you installed the game with the actual discs of Arcanum, or was it because you probably have a faulty download of the game?

Alas, that's not a bug.

You can always try to press F5 that will make the NPC's to back off, and stop fighting.

Our Host!