Arrow supply question

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by gridreaper, Nov 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. gridreaper

gridreaper New Member

I was thinking of trying out a bow using character, but I'm concerned on getting arrows.

Can I make them or do I have to do the tedious tactic of resting for 24 hours at a store that carries them? What's the best way to get arrows?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I don't believe you can make arrows, but they're often in stock and when they are there are a lot of them. If you try getting a better bow whenever possible you shouldn't have many problems with running out.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If there is one issue in Arcanum which bugs me it is the horrible inefficiency of ranged combat. Just look at archers in real time combat, they fire arrows faster than modern machine guns.

An overall slower rate of fire with higher damage on most ranged weapons would have been godsend.

4. Phadech

Phadech New Member

So true, it would be lovely to use a slow and heavy hitting bow.

Whenever I attempt to build an archer character it evolves into a melee/caster hybrid because of the poor execution of bows.

5. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Didn't rroyo add arrow making to the AWIP?
    Or was that just gun powder?

6. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

You can find a lot of free arrows in the BMC and other dungeon-type places. You also get them sometimes in chests.

Personally, I dig the ridiculous speed of Ellumyn's Bow. It's nice being able to shoot more than two or three times a round in turn-based combat.

But yeah... It would be nice to have more options along the lines of the Pyrotechnic Bow. For the most part, magical bows suck when compared to the serrated chakram. The Compound Bow does a fair amount of damage sometimes, but it's a little too slow to be satisfying.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep. Any old staff plus metal shavings.

8. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yea!
    Memory is vindicated.
    Now, where the hell did I park.

9. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

the problem for a starting character is that not only that you run out of arrows fast (they reappear almost every day in some store), but that they're expensive enough to make you go broke at the start if you don't abuse some money glitch.

I think guns are balanced in the sense that you only need raise Perception, which makes quite the difference for called shots at range.

edit: also, for damage, the Compound Bow is pretty damned sweet at the start (if you're not a full blown mage). IIRC it does damage equal to an axe

Our Host!