A furniture question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rroyo, Nov 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

This is mainly for the Europeans (I think...).

What do you call those beds that are built into walls or free-standing cabinets? You know - like a captain's bed with a cabinet above it.

A google search for "cabinet-bed" got me everything except what I want.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Could you perhaps draw one, and post it? I have no clue what you're talking about.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

My computer drafting skills leave a lot to be desired, but here's the basic design I'm looking for. (The white & blue thing is supposed to be a matress.)

[​IMG]

I know I've seen the in-wall version in Heidi with Shirley Temple and I seem to recall seeing a free-standing one in some old WWII movie, but I can't remember the name of it.

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

If it folds out of the wall, it is called a murphy.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sorry guys - both wall and Murphy beds leads me to the same things and what I'm thinking of is not a Murphy or a side-lift wall bed.

In its simplest form, the bed (twin-sized) would be static inside the cabinet. Folding doors could be used to conceal the bed during the day.

What I need to, and am going to build, is a bit more complex as it uses a zero-clearance futon frame to give me a couch during the day but the fundamental design is just about the same as the picture above.

I now have just about everything I need to build this* but I'm hoping someone has posted plans or photos for something besides a monolithic box.

* A studio apartment, plenty of lumber thanks to a low friend in need, a large place to work, and just over six years experience in cabinet repair or reconstruction.

7. Dodgy7

Dodgy7 New Member

Like something you'd see on a boat (apart from it being so wide)? I searched for cabin beds, and whilst they seem to be on to something, they basically lack the top part. I found this, but it's very rough and something you've probably gotten covered already.

Just out of curiosity though, will part of it be built into a wall, or will you end up with a ~2 meter deep, free standing cabinet?

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Dodgy7: Seeing as how this apartment has just about as much room as a ship's or Pullman cabin.... :lol:

It will be a free-standing cabinet with 7 - 8 sections that bolt together for easy moving.
    I have an understanding landlord, but attaching something like a Murphy Bed to the wall is out of the question. We're not allowed to hang the bigger flat-screen TVs because of the weight & stress.

Edit: Thanks for the picture. I was given a similar-enough one with the measurements for the futon.

Darkfool: Murphy Cabinets were one of the variations I was searching on. The only hinges I'll need are for the upper cabinet doors.
    I appreciate the offer though.

Here - This is the closest thing I've found to what I want. Mentally replace the top bunk with a enclosed cabinet and you'll see what I'm asking about.

[​IMG]

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I had one like that when I was a child, except instead of a bed, I had a toybox. So actually, what I had was not what you were looking for at all, though it was quite close to your picture.

Our Host!