ArcanumAlive - Continues

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, Oct 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Culture, language, landscape, people and red color :D

Edit: Okey you won, I surrender :lol:

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

While not genuinely steampunk or Victorian in styling, my capacity to write, edit, and correct is a skill matched by very few. Namely those with English Degrees, and their heads up their ass. :)

Should you wish to put it to use, you have my quill.

5. Charonte

Charonte Member

You're not still trying to use QT for this thing, are you?

6. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wonderful!
    An Arcanum clone FULL of DF's spurious contractions!

7. midfiks

midfiks New Member

ei Crypton..is it possible to increase the shadow details or lighting and is it high resolution ready?i mean,arcanum was released around 2001 and nowadays the computer are much faster, so that the game can be a lil bit an eyecandy.is it possible?just curious...

8. Charonte

Charonte Member

Increasing the detail in a 2d game? Are you mad, man?

To do so would mean increasing the resolution of every texture everywhere, which would most likely mean recreating or atleast reprocessing every said texture everywhere as increasing a 2d texture beyond its intended size makes it blocky as hell (to a degree).

That being said, I did write a lighting algorithm once for a 'real' (3 actual dimensions, unlike Arcanum) isometric engine. It used a raycasting from a point source and applied a filter to everything until it hit an object on an object layer that wasn't semi-transparent.

Not something I'd be doing for an Arcanum remake, though.

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yes, I'm using Qt for that, but most of core is pure, it means without any Qt classes, because I dont like that idea to have engine totally depending on some framework. I use Qt only for window, and events, which are sent to engine class, where are processed, rendering is done via OpenGL, and not Qt renderer, etc.

About increasing sprite resolution, its possible for all recreated sprites, because its size depends on camera distance, so it's possible to render them in high resolution, and scale them when loading/rendering to fit user screen resolution. Plus I'm not going to texture every mesh, only on some of them, like head, I rather use materials, because its faster and sometimes much nicer than some photoshop made texture. When making texture, its better to create them in high resolution and scale them down, than making a small textures and scaling them up of course :)

Anyway, when we are talking about this stuff, we need a biped animations for new critters we made, and I've been searching for some loopable anims for RPG games, didnt found any, do anybody know if there is some free pack with these biped animations? I've downloaded some, but none of them were suitable for Arcanum critters, so before I start animating by myself, I ask you guys if you know something about that pack or good source.

10. Charonte

Charonte Member

I assumed you were using the original Arcanum files and not remaking it in 3D. Good luck with that, it's going to take a long long time.

QT, IMO, is a bit much for a cross-platform game to use as a windowing library. I like wxWidgets better, but other than that something like SFML which has a heap of utility functions might be better.

I'd suggest doing your own animations. By the sounds of it, you have enough to do already and might as well do it all yourself.

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Well, even when we use original content, we need to recreate old stuff to be able to create new one.

For example critters, how do you want to add new critter into game if you dont have original animations?

I've checked SFML, and it looks great, but we dont need to use that, so I'll stay with Qt, which is actually not needed as well :)

So I'm going to animate everything by myself :D

12. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Ouch.

Oh, and yes, Crypton is Czech. He has always been using Czech IPs, his site is hosted in the Czech Republic and I've seen him writing some messages in Czech.

13. Charonte

Charonte Member

You're using OpenGl, so you do need a windowing library regardless. Difference is QT was meant for applications and SFML has a heap of utility functions that will eventually be useful. It also integrates rather well with OpenGL IIRC.

Hey, it's your project. QT just sounds like overkill to me.

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

Why you are not using your more 'known', Drog Black Tooth :)
    And yes, I'm Czech, and its known too, its just them who didn't knew, thats why I've played this mystic game :D

15. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Drog ate too many halflings and died a few weeks ago.

A great loss to us all.

16. DarkFool

Too bad. He wasn't the best administrator for this place, but his work in Arcanum was nonpareil.

17. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

You use contractions like shouldn't've and hadn'td, so you can stop with that ego right now.

18. DarkFool

My decision to abbreviate in a manner generally unheard of or routinely utilized is not barred by the laws of grammar, nor would it be something that I would carry forth into this project. My joy of deconstructing and reconstructing the English language into something of my own creation isn't an action I would carry forward into Arcanum Alive, unless they had a character for whom it seemed aptly fitting (ie: a severely drunken fellow, who's slurring would be easier to "demonstrate" through a butchering of the English Language).

My capacity for writing isn't something to be trifled with. Whilst I am generally a rather whimsical person in regards to the language, I take pride in my writing, when I'm legitimately putting forth an effort to create a work of prose, and not simply breaking the minds of those whom exist on the internet with terms I've concocted.

My personal specialization is Stream-of-Conciousness writing, and the creation of unusual works relating to the mind.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Really? In that case, I'd be interested to see your work.

20. Phadech

Phadech New Member

I have to admit it, this looks interesting.

Our Host!