Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a_claudd, Oct 27, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. a_claudd

a_claudd New Member

Does anyone know if Arcanum will work under Windows XP? Also, if it does, would there be a performance difference between running it under Home Edition or Professional Edition?

2. Calis

Calis Member

It *should* work fine under XP (AFAIK, XP has all the DirectX and multimedia components that 2000 has, and more, and Arcanum works fine under 2000). As for performance differences... I have no idea.

3. MC Karras

MC Karras New Member

Yes, it works¡¡ Much better than ME, in my computer at least

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you people are alien to me, notin works that I use under xp. sucks

5. Zen

Zen New Member

So what is the conclusion then?

Is Xp an improvement of windows, or is it just a hype? And I`m not only thinking of while playing Arcanum, but in general.

And yes..we are aliens!

- Zen

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

7. Elrond

Elrond New Member

Jinxed, what is the prob? If your XP sucks, why won't you just throw it away? It smells like masochism to me.

Now about Windows XP.

To my opinion, this is the best Windows ever. Even on native "Microsoftish" drivers game performance is a lot better than Win 2000 and EVEN Millennium Edition.

But why read my mumblings, when you can listen to an expert? Here is a very useful link, if one cares...

http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/speci ... owsxp.html

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

From what I've heard, Windows XP sucks more than...something that sucks really bad, like waking up in a pool of someone else's vomit.

I'd wait until the guinea pigs, I mean suckers, I mean adventurous types have given their long term impressions (knew I'd get it right eventually :smile:).

My friend tried it, said it sucked, heaps of other people have tried it and said it sucked. Therefore it sucks :smile:.

9. a_claudd

a_claudd New Member

No, therefore it is their opinion that it sucks. I have installed it since I originally posted this topic. Everything on my computer runs more smoothly, the graphics look better, it sounds better, etc. It may be that your friends or whomever you talked to don't like changes in general, didn't verify they had all the appropriate xp drivers downloaded, didn't verify all their hardware and software was compatible before installing, or various other reasons they had a bad experiences. Remember, people's opinions are not facts.

10. Sonya

Sonya New Member

Russian pirates haven't hacked XP yet, so I dunno anything about it. 98 SE suits me just fine (I know what Linux is, and I dont like it)

11. Milo

Milo New Member

The hacked "corporate" version with no product activation has been out for months now.

To each his own, concerning OSes. All I know is that I'm finally going to be upgrading my system, and I'm going to use this opportunity to ditch 98se. It's between 2000 and XP pro, and I'm leaning towards XP.

12. Sonya

Sonya New Member

I dont live in a very big city, so I havent seen it yet. And after all I dunno if it's worth buying. But I've heard MANY bad things about W2000.

13. Calis

Calis Member

Win 2000 is great. It's far superior to ME and 98. From what I've heard, the same goes for XP. However, as a rule, I don't use Microsoft OS'es until there is at least one service pack out for it and all the minor problems with it have been resolved, so I'm sticking to 2000.

Our Host!