Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you have the official patch? (Is there a file named Arcanum4.dat in your Arcanum folder?)

2. Charonte

Charonte Member

Does the same thing happen if you skip the cinematic?

I do remember some older games requiring Windows Media codecs to work properly, although I don't ever remember Arcanum being one of them. What sort of system are you running it on?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Arcanum uses Bink video, so a codec problem is out of the question.

4. Deathsangel

Deathsangel New Member

I have the UAP installed and started a new life, and to my amazement (seeing you fixed already so many things):

Halfling Bandit in Thieves Cave east of Caladon has a grammar mistake.
    He is talking about the Roseborough in -> That should be Roseborough inn.

5. lewton

lewton New Member

yep, I do. I'm running it on Vista by the way.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No idea then. I've never heard of the game crashing in those situations. I can only suggest a full reinstall.

P.S. OK, here's a wild guess. Are you close to level 51 at the moment? If you've installed the level cap remover, but didn't put an expanded version of xp_level.mes into the 'data\rules' folder, then the game would crash once you have enough XP to advance to level 51.

7. lewton

lewton New Member

Thats it! It works perfectly now, thanks!

8. Idiotfool

Idiotfool New Member

Spells from items

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but the number of spells that can be maintained from items (specifically, "Illuminate" from the Mage's Staff) seems to use the Int / 4 convention of normal PC spells. I would expect that spells that are cast independant of your character would not do this.

Additionally, and this IS a bug, if you sleep with one of the spells from an item cast, you wake up to see that all charges are depleted, even if you had 19 left when you slept.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: Spells from items

Willpower+learing spells/having magickal items are for casting spells, intelligence is for attention divisibility. You still have to be able to concetrate on several tasks at once no matter the source of the magick, so it's no bug.

PS. I despise offtoping in threads such as this one, but if you're going to write anywhere else, I will ask about your choice of nick for sure.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I just spotted a small typo in a newspaper article.

Line 1162, concerning a female blimp crash survivor, has the sentence: "Upon questioning, the lady had this to say about his harrowing experience."

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I always suspected that the female model in Arcanum was a tranny; now I have proof.

12. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

If I speak with Swyft at Qintarra and say goodbye on the second answer (after asking her who is she), there is no more choices to get his quest to go to Tarant.

Is it as is?

EDIT:

The same thing happens with Ellumyn. Ask him what he is doing here, and after that, trade with him, thus breaks the conversation. When you talk again with him he does not give you the option to search the mithril for him anymore.

13. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

A missing letter.

When you return with Loghaire Thunderstone to Bates, then when listening to their talk, Loghaire says "It is my honour to call you friend, Gilbert Bates..." But if you listen to the voice acting, he says actualy "It is my honour to call you A friend, Gilbert Bates...". Thats all for now :p

14. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

When I use the drums on the machine at the place of the lost voces and I hear the machine, there are subtitles. But if I want to hear again the transcription, there are not more subtitles anymore, only the voice.

Is it possible to fix this and make appear the subtitles every time I hear the machine?

15. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

When I return to Adam Maxwell with the Amulet of K'na S'ea, his second quest (and I have persuaded him to pay me 750 gold coins), I have again the choice of deliver the Tome of Magick (first assigned quest by him) and obtain 350 gold coins AND deliver the Amulet, but only get 550 gold coins.

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Personally, LAz, I think the Balkans just need to learn to get along.

17. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

In Ristezze House in Shrouded Hills there are 3 tables. You can walk through 2 tabels on left, theres like a crack or something.

EDIT: I don't know if this is a bug, but here goes. NPC's are supposed to use items that are best for them. Now at the beginning he gets his robes with AC 3, DR 3 and FR -5 AND durability 80. When i was trying to equip him with Heavy Wool Clothes having attributes AC 3, DR 3, FR +2 AND durability 20. He still prefers his robes over the jacket. Is it because of durability ? Is this even a bug ?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is not really a bug, just a poor algorithm. NPCs quite often can't choose an item that suits them best. All relevant code is hard-coded, though, so it's unlikely that this will ever be changed.

19. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Okay...another typo i found. When you leave Shuycler's(?) and Magnus thanks you, there is a following sentence: "I so wanted to find a clue as to who or where that i COME from...." Instead of "come" there should be "came".

EDIT: Another typo. When speaking to Mr.Bates and questioning him there is a rather big typo. The lines :"Why do you suppose the MH tried to kill us ?"
    "Some of our lives more than other,eh ?"
    "Yes, it would seem that i am well protected here,
    BUT THE more staff..."
    Instead of "but the" there should be "however".

EDIT2: Okay.another dumb bug. When doing a quest at Madam Lil's where i had to return the necklace, i convinced Laura to try working at Madam Lil's, and so she did. I completed the quest, talked to Laura how shes doing and then we went to the bedroom, did what had to be done(also i made everyone wait behind the door if this helps?). Then she said what she had to, started walking away, but before she could leave the room i spoke with her. She asked if i'd want another go ? I agreed...she went next to the bed(like they do), but now when i click on her she says "Don't be in such a rush. You'll...". Nothing happens...no black screen, no moving, nothing. So i did some quests and came back weeks and weeks later(gametime of course) and she was still standing there with the same response. And if i try with other girls, they tell me to quickly go to her or i'll miss it.

EDIT3: Typo. Speaking to the Grizzled war veteran in BlackRoot and asking about the war, in the second dialogue window he says a sentence that they are unmatchable with sword, mace and AX. It should be axe not ax.

20. midfiks

midfiks New Member

i have jayna as one of my follower and every time i attack someone she immediately complains about it but the fun part is her reaction seems to increase rather than to decrease and after killing some pigs in ashbury as one of the side quest her reaction to me is now "love".

Our Host!