About Gloves of Dexterity

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by L@Zar0, Sep 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

Hi,

I've bought the Gloves of Dexterity to an Elven Merchant, but when I use then, Dexterity does not change.

Are they only for Elves? I am playing with a Human technologist.

2. kashin

kashin New Member

Well, most or all magical equipment has a certain statistic called "Power available". Since your character is a technologist, it's likely your "technological power" cancels out all the "magical effects", so the "Power = 0%". Thus, you won't receive any of the magical benefits.

3. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

So, I am assuming that ALL magickal items are not needed for technological characters.

For the Gloves, the Damage Resistance is accepted, but the DX bonus is not. Is this correct? maybe the DR should not be accepted.

Also, why my Mystical Ring is improving my resitances? It is magickal, isn't it?

If I would have a Technological Power = 0 and Magical Power = 0, thus, Neutral, could I use the Gloves with his benefits?

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    That is correct. The Gloves of Dexterity, as I recall, do not confer a magick bonus to damage resistance. The DR you get from them therefore comes from the gloves themselves and not the enchantment that's put on them.

Sufficiently strong magickal artifacts will give you bonuses even if you have a technological aptitude.

Probably, though you will likely receive a lower Dexterity bonus than a powerful mage would.

5. L@Zar0

L@Zar0 New Member

Thank you very much for your answers. This has solved me some headache. :)

6. The Mill

The Mill New Member

Yup.

I have a neutral tech/mage char playing the unmodded but officially patched game right now and he gets +1 DX and "Power available 50%" on the Gloves of Dexterity.

I seem to recall, though, that a very high tech-only char would be hurt by magical items... I'm not entirely sure, but I think my first play-through of the original Arcanum was with a tech-only char and if I wore a magic necklace I took damage over time.

Regz
    / The Mill

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Technologists don't get hurt by magical items. The don't receive the whole benefit comming from the magical item, however there's no actual downside. Either your memory is screwing with you or had some kind of a cursed necklace. I don't remember any damage causing one, but then again, I never attempted to memorize all cursed items in the game.

8. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

It might have been the Hellfire Medallion. It does fireflash DOT. I've never found this item before but it's on a list of cursed items I found. I seem to recall another item that does poison DOT as well.

9. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

That's the medallion allright. Can be quite useful for a single adventurer with high magic resistance. But more than often it's just troublesome as it tends to fry Virgil like a Kentucky chicken.

10. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Where is it? I've yet to find it. Actually, is there a complete list of cursed items and their locations?

11. warfreakyanix

warfreakyanix New Member

Does a Dexterity glove is waterproof and breathable?

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Running this question through the Translator yields:
    "Check or water."

The short answer to your question warfreakyanix is "yes."

13. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

i will have to check to see if the gloves I am wearing are giving me the dex bonus. I am leaning towards tech on the scale but not very heavily. i have only spent points on pure ore, molotov cocktail, and if they count towards tech the pick lock ability.

if I buy a few low level spells will that offset my tech stuff?

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

In a single word: yes.

TDC: I like your rational there. I think I might start doing that with poorly worded questions.

15. kelticpete

kelticpete New Member

I decided to see what would happen if I moved my magic / tech meter towards magic. I spent 6 points in spells and got my bar to the halfway point. my dex is 15. I equip the gloves and no change appears to my stats. and I put on the amulet of ntala and saw no stat changes either.

I am playing with gog arcanum, the latest patch on this site, uap, and hi res. I used the .mes to create a custom backrground. no other changes. this is kind of annoying. If it was just one item I would not mind. but now it seems none of them work for me.

I also found out that the blessing I got were not showing up. I deleted my background .mes (rules and the other folder) making my character have I guess literally no background and now the blessings show up but still not the gloves or medallions.

16. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the "Magic Power Available" (or whatever it's called) on each magickal item has a percentage on it, which is directly related to your tech/magick aptitude.

For the Gloves of Dexterity, you need at least 50% to get the +1 dex, and 100% to get the full +2 to dex. Most scaling magickal items work this way if I recall correctly. Same goes for armor bonuses, additions to weapon damage, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Our Host!