Jayna Stiles in party with Magic PC?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Idiotfool, Sep 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Idiotfool

Idiotfool New Member

What's the minimum tech required to get Jayna? Since my mage is also ultra charismatic, is there any way to convince her to be in my group without tech? High persuasion, for instance? I went for 20 CHA first, but if some rediculously high persuasion works instead, I can rework my build.

Thanks!

2. Narmy

Narmy New Member

Did you try getting "master" training in persuasion? I think I read that lets you hire anyone no matter what, but I could be wrong.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The minimum required technological aptitude is 10. There is no other way. 20 Charisma and being a persuation master help nothing if your TA<10.

Now, while we're at it, please do share the origins behind your username, Idiotfool. Embarrassing details encouraged.

Not exactly. For a persuation master alignment doesn't play a role when it comes to joining and keeping followers, which means that good followers will have no problems with accompanying an evil Living One and the other way around. Yet some (most?) followers have an additional requirement which comes before the aligment check (a quest for example, or in Jayna's case - the mentioned technological aptitude), and if that one is not fulfilled, the persuation mastery itself is not enough to join them. It will however make them follow you forever no matter what once they are joined, unless of course you order them to go away.

4. Idiotfool

Idiotfool New Member

That's what I was afraid of. Though the magic/tech meter is technically a form of alignment, I didn't think the persuasion skill would work, here.

I warn you, it's not a very good story. In an old forum I used to post on, we switched over from one of the free sites to a paid-for UBBThreads type. During re-registration, users were supposed to enter their old username and e-mail address to keep their old post counts. I typed my username and password 3 times and locked out my old username due to my own stupidity. Being annoyed and needing a new handle, I decided to insult myself.

I've kept it because people who believe themselves clever who, when they disagree with me, invariably write "ur just wrong cause ur an idiot and a f00l!" I giggle at their stupidity and sigh for humanity.

Charisma at 20 makes them follow you no matter what. Master in Persuasion is, according to the manual, supposed to allow people to join, despite allignment hang-ups they might have.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The story appeared to actually be much more interesting that I expected.

:checks the manual: Ah yes, you are correct. It's just the fact, that in my games I either had both 20 charisma and persuasion mastery or neither of them, plus the bonuses are very similar, hence those bonuses merged in my mind. Notice that the manual is correct, since followers join despite any aligments, while quests/aptitudes/the like are simply a different matter (but naturally, the description could make one think that someone with persuasion mastery will be able to recruit anyone he would like).

After thinking a bit about them, I now see that those bonuses are badly designed since they are pretty much useless without each other. Persuasion mastery without charisma 20 would allow you to join every follower no matter aligments, yet the ones being in contrast with the Living' one's aligment would quickly leave his party because of not liking the way he act. Charisma 20 without persuasion mastery on the other hand would make followers of opposite aligments in theory never complain while being in the player's team, but they would not join that party in the first place. The bonuses are powerful together (and usually taken together as well), but if they stand alone they make no difference for follower menagement at all.

6. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

The only real problem there is that by the time you can become a Persuasion master, you'll probably be somewhere around level 35 and then recruiting some of the followers you couldn't before won't seem like a good idea any more.

Our Host!