which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Maloch

Maloch New Member

Sadly that never happens with my followers. Every time I discovered a trap they would set it off before I took two steps away from it. :cry:

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Never happens to my followers either. They are like homing missiles in that regard, or magnets drawn to an opposing pole, or Texans offered a free mobility scooter ride to the nearest hamburger bar.

Arcanum has a lot going for it. Sadly, the AI is not on the list.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You know, I've never had the followers --> traps problem you guys seem to have. If I spot the trap and my boys have a little space, no probs. The last bit of corridor in the BMC tend to be troublesome, though...

4. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

It's because the game forces your followers to walk quickly if you're too far away. Then, if they get the three blocks in front of them full, they walk onto it.

My experience anyways.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I call this the "Running of the Virgil." It works pretty well.

6. Maloch

Maloch New Member

I usually send a summon down the last corridor to trigger the traps, works well if I remember right(summon scrolls work too).

7. Minuos

Minuos New Member

You could always just turn-based run your way through the place. If I remember correctly, that's worked for me before, but I felt sleazy for days.

8. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Thanks to a thread in the Hints and Tips forum, I've been messing around with an Elf mage named Conan just to see what kinds of loot I'll find in chests.

So far, the "male, no particular background" thing we've been talking about over there has resulted in me finding a set of mystic leather armor, three nice magic rings, a magick shield, a magick dagger and lots of charmed stuff that is good mostly because it was free.

You know... small magic armor that Magnus doesn't get any bonuses from and things like that. I think I recruited Gar last night just because I had an extra charmed shield nobody was using.

Starting the game with decent body armor doesn't really do anything except make it suck more when you start over again and have to live with wearing the crap you can loot off dead bodies in Shrouded Hills for a while. But still... It's nice having an armor class of 40 when you're level five.

I started another Elf mage named Elrond (I know... I'm lame) with the Raised By Monks background. He got some useful loot at P. Schuyler and Sons, but the magick shield and charmed ring he found at the Crash Site didn't help that much. When you're using a character purely to farm for loot, it's no fun having to settle for wearing a dead bank robber's clothes.

Moral of the story: don't start obsessing over what loot you get during the early game. It makes it harder to stay motivated while you're trying out that half-orc lady's man or whatever.

9. Post-Internet Syndrome

Post-Internet Syndrome New Member

My standard procedure for the last bit of the BMC is to tell my party to wait, then just pick them up on the way out. Unless I plan on teleporting of course, but it is not that big of a pain to go back through the last tunnel, and then teleport with your party.

10. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I just take Dante into the BMC with me. His Necromantic White spells are potent enough that they still work at least part of the time on people with fairly high technological aptitudes. He generally does a pretty good job of keeping me and my followers alive.

Virgil's lower MA makes him less useful than Dante, but he'll do what he can with his Necromantic White spells. With both guys in your party, you usually don't need to worry about anybody except Magnus.

11. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Decided to try an auto level scheme this time. Female Elf Temporal Thaumaturge.

12. Narmy

Narmy New Member

I'm playing a dwarf gunman with a magick allergy. I am level 16 at the moment.

It's been fun so far, I've got quite a lot of technical disciplines and around 78 tech aptitude. It's annoying though that the magick shop won't even let me sell my magick items, claiming I am too "tech" for them.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Let me know how auto scheme goes, never bothered trying them out, but then I struggle to choose my own points as well so who knows maybe I should do auto.

14. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, magikot, I'm curious as well.
    I've never done the auto-schema.
    Keep us informed.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'd say playing a game with an auto leveling scheme would be frustrating one, at best. I never tried one myself, but I checked through the leveling schemes of some of them and frankly, they seem to be poorly planned. Why? A few quick examples:
    • A lot of the schemes leave some investments undfinished (A gun technologist never being able to make an elephant gun? Preposterous! A herbalist being able to know only four herbology schematics? Come on!),
    • Some stats end at bizarre levels (Pretty much all mage schemes add to intelligence, but stop at IN 18. There's no difference for a mage between 18 and 16, so why not go for 20 or just stop at 16? And why does the herbalist need no more no less but 2 points in charisma anyway? Pure melee-dodge adds CPs to willpower up to 16 and invests a friggin' lot directly into HPs, but dosn't rise dexterity over 18? Why, what a splendid idea),
    • The distribution of strenght is simply confusing (the gun technologist and the gunfighter-doctor gain not a single point is strength, even though it would be very helpful for the heavier guns, while all mage classes buff strenght up to 20. Why yes, it will be extremely useful, since instead of, say, fighting with magic, they will be using their 8/20 melee skill all over the time, just like all mages do).
    Auto leveling schemes: Challenge? Masochism at best.

16. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Perhaps they take into account the blessings of Gods?

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I am SO tempted to start another Iron Man competition using Auto-Levelling schemes.

18. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Mmm...That’s not a bad idea. What about an Iron Man competition with only using the weirdest Auto-Levelling schemes?

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Someone would have to decide which ones to use, but yeah, that could be a lot of fun!

20. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

The last characters I played through with were a Human Barbarian called Cohen, who had a big sword and proceeded to just kill everyone he decided deserved it, and a female and very evil Elf called Inara who just killed everyone for fun.

Our Host!