Requirements for Chukka

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Krycek, Aug 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Krycek

Krycek New Member

What exactly do I need to have, to get Chukka as a follower?

I did a search and only found old threads dealing with this. And the people in in those threads clearly had no clue. They rambled about Charisma, Persuasion, having an open slot in your party, ...

2. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I thought it was talking to Bates just before the Isle of Despair, I remember seeing a chart someone made with all of the follower requirements once but I can't seem to find it again, sorry

Looking around in the Arcanum dats I found this information in the ai_params.mes in the Arcanum3.dat

Chukka will not join you if his reaction to you is below 20 and will join you if you are level 8 or above

Here is the relevant information from ai_params.mes in case I got it wrong

// D6: the reaction level at which the NPC will not follow the PC
    // D7: how far PC align is above NPC align before NPC wont follow
    // D8: how far PC align is below NPC align before NPC wont follow
    // D9: how many levels the NPC can be above the PC and still join
    // D10: how much a non-accidental hit will lower a follower's reaction

{7}{0 1000 1000 101 1 20 1001 1000 8 0 0 2001 100 50 100 0 1} // Chukka AI

I think they're the parts the D6-10 are referring to I think

I haven't touched the dialogue files in a while so I don't know if there are any parameters other than quest states imposed in there. If you want to check the dlg folder in Arcanum3.dat, I would myself but I am currently busy

Check the downlad section for undatting tools if you need them to extract Arcanum dats, dlg files can be read in notepad or similar programs

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have only one chance to get him. When you report back to Bates about the BMC and agree to go to the Isle of Despair you must meet the following requirements: CH12 or higher and a free follower slot.

4. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Thanks. I could have sworn that it was more complicated.

I am almost certain that I got Chukka without a free party slot before. Also: don't you need good alignment? I always thought this was a requirement.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The requirements I've listed above will only 'unlock' Chukka for you, i.e. Bates will say "Perhaps you can ask him about joining you". Then when talking to Chukka, he will do the usual reaction/follower slot/alignment/level checks.

6. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Thanks for clarifying.

It has always annoyed me, not being able to know in advance whether I'll get Chukka or not.

Our Host!