The Half Ogre Island continued?

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Nolanoth, Dec 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

Thank you Sir Rroyo. It's good to be back.

Do you think you could work on it and perhaps add it to your mod? And make a version that just changes the towns and adds quests. I'm so very used to the full interface and old leveling. Not to mention the spells from the mod I mentioned. I'll explain why I'm so used to them in the oter thread. I'm also trying to boost the damage on engineering items as well as bows and some melee weapons. I'll try to upload the changes when I'm done.

So far I addeded a background for Clves and Humans that gives them the statistics similar to a Ogre | Mad Doctor - character andI think I have an excellet idea for a Vampire background with 3 Necromantic Spells (the 3rd one is Drain Life) but more about that inthe other thread.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Work on it? Definately - but not anytime soon it seems. I'm heading out in a few minutes to manage a complex in the middle of nowhere until a replacement manager team can be found.
    Just got home and going again. At least I'm being paid travel time and milage.....

Uhhh... I've got too much on my plate already. Sorry, but I'll have to pass on this.

As for your balancing - I am interested in this and would like to see the final results.

3. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

Oh well good luck with that.

I'm editing the wepons now. Might take a while before I'm done with everything but the spells turned out well and I was able to change the final blessing too. No more superman.

4. Alarion

Alarion New Member

Better late than never

Forgive me for digging up such an old post, but I really felt I needed to.

I recently replayed Arcanum after picking it up after a sale at gog.com. It was fun to try out another combination than last time (dwarf technologist gunsmith vs elf mage healer) and I installed the A:WIP pack version 6, but I'd forgotten one thing. The half-ogre island quest. As soon as I was in Tarant and passed by Thom Grak, he told me to go find Matt de Cesare and I realised what quest this was after speaking with him, I found myself literally unable to continue playing. I am still not able to even start up the game and looking at the menu for all the horror stories that seep back at me, and that I'd thought I'd forgotten. I played the quest through last time, and was so... unsatisfied with the ending and what had happened.

I mean, why on earth would my character not have copied the book and hidden them somewhere safe? Brought them to a photographer to get proof made? Gone to another newspaper? Brought witnesses, more proof or even a camera to document the lab? And then the horrible fates of the people... I cannot even begin to describe how sick to my stomach I felt the first time I did this quest, and it still lingers as a sour aftertaste of my Arcanum experience every time I think of it. Sure, other things are horrible too, but none so much as this. As I think the OP intended, people want resolutions to problems presented to them, and here I felt it was either the developers chickening out because they didn't want to make a long quest, deliberately bashing women (it's true, their somewhat misogynistic nature is even more glaringly obvious to me on a second playthrough) or they just didn't bother finishing it. Either way, it's a very anticlimactic and lame ending, that forces you into a single way of doing it. Maybe I've become used to making more choices than one in video games over the years, but this one is just not OK. I want a choice, dammit!

Moreover, this quest has so much potential to do really crazy stuff like some of the comments have suggested. A world-wide gnomish conspiracy (apart from the disturbing similarities with a certain real world conspiracy theory said to involve a certain group of people who used to be said had big, long hook-noses... :S) is an interesting plot element in itself, and also makes for a lot of storiable action. I can understand those who want the quest to end the way it does, but as I've never watched the X-files (in fact, barely even heard of it) it didn't even make any sense to me and I had to look it up online before I got the reference and what it was supposed to signlfy... In conclusion, I heartily approve of the efforts to finally make this quest what it should've/could've been from the start, and I'm willing to lend a hand to whatever state that project ended up in, even if it was almost nothing. Granted, I can't say I've ever used the World Editor, but I could always stand to learn more :)

Actually, just reading of the ideas for it made me feel better, as did writing this post. Now maybe I can go back to my game and finish it without feeling like a horrible person for either ignoring or completing the quest, and one day set things right :)

I hope the project comes to fruition :)

Thanks for reading!!

//a

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: Better late than never

If the Living One returns to the lab after talking with the mysterious gnome, all he will find will be an empty warehouse. All of the equipment will appear swiftly removed by *them*.

Either that or everything he saw was but a figment of his sick schizophrenic imagination. A creepy thought, no?

Our Host!