Arcanum Rebalance Pack v1.1

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Cloaked Figure, Jun 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

This little mod seeks to re-balance some aspects of the game. Here is the list of changes:

*The Balanced Sword has had its speed lowered from 18 to 12.
    *Harm has had it's damage altered from 3-40 (scaled) to 2-20 (scaled).
    *The Seething Mass, Rock Sprite, and Ore Golem NPC's of the BMC mines have had their Damage Resistance and Health reduced significantly.
    *The Worthless Mutt follower has had its damage output decreased drastically.

Compatibility:

This Re-balancing mod works with the Unofficial Arcanum Patch (and all of its secondary components such as the Extra Pack and HQ Sound).
    It will also be compatible with any mods I release in the future unless I state otherwise.
    It is unfortunately not compatible with other main modules such as A:WIP and Car-Arcanum. (due to overlapping of files and such).

Full details on how to install this are contained in the Read Me file.

Click here to download.

If you have any suggestions or comments you can post them here or PM me.

Thanks

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I know what I'm doing Sunday.
    In the meantime, thanks!

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: Arcanum Rebalance Pack v1.0

Wowowowowow. Wait a second there. Everyone knows harm is overpowered. If I understand it correctly, it's changing 40 damage for 5 fatigue into 10 damage for 10 fatigue for a character with 100 MA. That means decreasing harms's power eight times (damage per fatigue point from 8 to 1). Isn't that just a little too much?

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

5. Cloaked Figure

Re: Arcanum Rebalance Pack v1.0

What do you propose?

I was thinking of maybe making it 10-15, or taking the MP back down to 5 MP.

Testing the new harm, it still was a very strong spell. And still pretty overpowered at low levels. So I was thinking of lowering the minimum and increasing the maximum. Say, 2-15 damage, for 5 or 10 MP.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Just a suggestion: The Dark Magick hack simply lowered the damages to 3-20 while maintaining the 5 mp cost. Having tested this out more than once in my hack, it still works pretty good for a low-level spell.

7. Cloaked Figure

OK, I'm going to maintain the 5 MP cost, and make the damage 2-20. Thanks for the input guys!

Download has been updated.

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

What other balances are you considering for this project of yours?

9. Cloaked Figure

I will look at whatever is brought to my attention. I will continue to revise the current things I have balanced, and I am currently looking at the charged rings that give you +4 dex if you wear both of them, as well as direct damage spells like fireball and jolt.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Do you plan to alter Quench Life? It had a serious feel odf underpower in vanilla. This of course was mainly because of the harm being too powerful, but still QL nearly never killed a more than average enemy with one shot, while that was the theoretical purpose of the spell, or at least how I understand it's magical mechanism.

11. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Yeah, Quench Life is a massive disapointment. It's very name commands fear and awe, but then you cast it and realize you wasted the character point.

12. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

My personal thoughts on harm is that it should suck as a spell, good for a beginner but crap enough that a higher level mage would move on

the 2-20 5 version of the spell sure cuts it down but it is a very first level spell and is still a rather spammable spell throughout the game

Sure it is your rebalance, that is just my take on it

What changes are you proposing to charge rings etc?

13. Cloaked Figure

// 59 -- Quench Life
    {3951}{Cost: 50, Resist: (stat_constitution @ -5), Info: aggressive}
    {3958}{[Callback], Type: Damage, DmgType: Dmg_Normal, Dmg: 50-100, Dmg_Flags: Scaled}

Here are the important lines from Quench Life. What do you guys recommend be changed with the spell?

Changing it to a poison-based DOT spell would quite fix this, but most of the people I have talked to are opposed to the idea, and I don't want to change the spell too much. Trying to keep the mod out of custom-content territory.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Doubling the damage would be a start. I would be even satisfied if the damage dealed was unlimited (which in pracitice would mean 30k like in case of desintegrate), since that spell deserves it. Seeing how someone survives a Quench Life is so very wrong and unsatisfying. Yes, even if it's the player.
    Would it be possible to make Kerghan immune to Quench Life in the second case? The spell shouldn't affect him for various reasons, especially if it would be made that much more powerful.

15. Maloch

Maloch New Member

Since the damage only occurs if the target saves against the instant death, wouldn't making the spell nonresistable turn it into the instant death spell the name implies it to be?

That would make a lot of sense considering kerghan's power and skill in the dark necromantic arts. Since he created the spell he may have found a way to become immune the the effects after studying it over the years.

16. Archmage Orintil

I always found it a bit odd that Quench Life could harm things that aren't alive such as undead.

In all my years playing, I don't believe I've ever had an instant death with Quench Life that didn't have a weak target. I can never know if that the target succeeded the save, or it failed but the damage done was more than its hp. Any target of substance always required more than one casting.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Same goes for harm. Sheez, those spells are supposed to drain the life force from a target, which the undead lack. Undead clearly should be immune to harm and QL because of it, as well as some other beings, such as mechanical (if they aren't immune already, I don't remeber at the moment) and elementals and their variations (animated doesn't equal alive). So should Kerghan, because a) by now after all of his self-alterings, studies and soul wanderings he's propably more or less undead anyway (and his body is made of what, metal?), and b)
    Casting harm or quench life on Kerghan is like throwing water baloons at a water elemental.

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Elegantly put, sir. :D

...Sorry, the mental image keeps distracting me.

"Take THIS!"
    "..."
    "..."
    "What the hell were you thinking?"
    "I honestly have no idea."

19. Archmage Orintil

Mechanical things like Automaton are immune to Quench Life from my experience. In fact, I'm unable to actually cast Quench Life on the automatons in the Vendigroth Ruins. Disentegrate works marvels on them tho'.
    As to the big K, unless he's undead or mechanical, in which there's no reason to believe he is since he was a living human when he was banished, there's no reason why he shouldn't be affected by black necromancy. He did not invent it, he discovered the opposite to white necromancy according to his journal that you find in the Stonecutter Clan mines. Unless he's also a master of Meta, there's no reason why Black Necromancy shouldn't affect him.
    Edit: After some pondering on Kerghan's existence in the void and Arronax's comment on him transforming or something to that extent, I don't actually see why Kerghan wouldn't have devised methods of protecting himself from the magicks he mastered. That's what I'd do and I assume so would any self respecting, ancient, and vastly powerful arcanist supreme would do. Btw, I recall not be able to even cast Quench Life on Kerghan, or perhaps due to its rather low damage it didn't have any noticable effect.

20. jarpie

jarpie New Member

Is this mod still being maintained/updated? I think that firearms would require a drastic improvement, as for example shotgun which only does 1-10 damage, but in my opinion should give maybe 3-15 or something along those lines. Also, most of the guns should have increased range, like clarington rifle has only 15 range.

Our Host!