Would you?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Zanza, May 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

Based on yourdescription I'd suggest some sort fistfighty type name

Maybe some things like Brawler or Steet Fighter perhaps you could put something like Resolute or Old-School as a reference to the WP or Firearms

Resolute Brawler
    Resolute Street fighter
    Old-School Brawler
    Old-School Street Fighter

That's the kind of names that pop up in my head when I read your description

Your character is nice but I prefer more extreme backgrounds, bigger nerfs and better perks, though they tend to be hard to balance

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I think that The Old school Brawler suits best with me.

I should make my own background more extreme?

3. No! Naughty dog!

No, no I think it is fine as is, I was just stating my own preference ^^;

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Those are quite fun. You are a powerful mage which can shatter mountains, but you are naerly cripled and fall apart when someone sneezes on you.

5. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Custom, simply to see if it'd actually be fun.
    The Sluggish Drunk
    You spend your days semi-working at an under funded firm (you start with no money). Too many hours staring at the small script on the typwriter has led to an accute case of myopia (-2 PE) and carpal tunnel syndrome (-2 DX), as well as deprived you from much needed excercise (-2 ST). Quick lunches of foods involving unknown substances keeps you at less than tip top shape (-2 Heal Rate). On the bright side, learning to put up with managerial incompetence gives you a much needed boost to willpower (+6) and the ability to bullshit your way out of blame (+2 Persuasian). You spend your afterhours in the local pub with friends downing as much ale as you can before closing time (-4 IN and -50% speed during nighttime) and habitually wake up in unknown locations (you appear at random locations after resting).

6. SoulKina

SoulKina New Member

The

Human males only.

You can get along with everyone, from young to old, from nerds to bullys. A pretty average guy, but charming (+ 3 CH). It takes one conversation to make people consider themselves your friends. As a child you were always beating up smaller kids (+1 Meele), and always talked your way out of trouble (+3 Persuasion). As you got older you got softer, used to talk yourself out of trouble (- 1 ST, -2 Throwing, -2 Dodge). You became very lazy, and your bright friends were always happy to help you, but you got a little dumb (-1 INT). You also became quite a womanizer (+10 Reaction with Females), what pissed some people off, and at the times you couldn't talk youserf out of trouble, your bully friends dealt with them for you. You also screw people over at times, and break rules and laws in a regular basis (-15 Alignment), and people with high sense of right and wrong look down on you (People with +20 Alignment have -10 Reaction toward you). You breaking the rules and laws lead to some accidents, some with permanent scars (-1 BE) and body damage (-2 DX), and your family has no money, starting with 0 gold.

I have no idea of how naming my background though, suggestions?

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  8. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Obsessive Geek:

You wasted your youth being obsessed with mostly useless trivia and pursuing an equally useless liberal arts degree from an unexceptional university. Your lack of normal social skills results in a -2 penalty to Charisma but you gain +1 to Perception and +1 to Intelligence. Due to avoiding exercise and spending most of your time indoors, you also suffer penalties of -4 Strength, -3 Dexterity and -5 Constitution. However, your devotion to your interests and your beliefs results in a +11 bonus to Willpower. You start with less money than other players and you will find less money in containers throughout the game.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Wohow. So you'll suggesting elven and gnomish obsessive geeks are immume to mind spells by their very nature?

So I see the gods hate geeks.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Incredibly unbalanced. So what if the guy finds less money, he can start the game with a full bar of Haggle anyway.

11. No! Naughty dog!

If you want to do an extreme background like that, namely one that allows you to fill a skill, you're going to have to seriously up the negatives.

12. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Is this a kind of made-up background?

13. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I was just trying to be funny. I'm a big geek with an English degree that I can't really use for anything. And I've had a lot of frustrating financial problems over the past eight months or so.

I figured that if Dark Elves get a willpower bonus because of how serious they are about their beliefs, my particular combination of nerdy hobbies, obsessive-compulsive tendencies and religious beliefs had to be worth more than two character points.

In the future, I guess I'll have to try to be funnier.

By the way, I absolutely love the idea of the drunk guy who wakes up in random places. That actually got me to laugh out loud.

14. Archmage Orintil

Life is funny that way.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    In my experience, it's only "funny" several years after the fact, when the distance in time from the inopportune projectile vomiting and gross indecencies EVERYONE ELSE saw is big enough for the shame to have faded and been replaced by hilarity.

16. Archmage Orintil

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Let me put it this way; good judgement is based on experience, and experience is based on poor judgement.

And nowadays I demonstrate good judgement when it comes to drinking.

18. No! Naughty dog!

Methinks I'm still at the poor judgement stage, but I'm lucky to have a lovely someone willing not to get plastered and make sure I don't wake up in random places ^^ more like she doesn't like get as drunk as I do.

The Narcoleptic
    Due to the unstable nature of your sleep patterns you find it hard to concentrate (IN-1, WP -1). You sporadically feel tired (Randomly recieve 40% max Fatigue in Fatigue damage) and can have muscle seizures including facial muscles (Up to and any combination of Strength -2, Charisma -2). Your immune system can be a little overzealous (CN +1, Heal rate +10%).

The fatigue and strength/charisma penalties are random and temporary. With the strength and charisma I mean that you could have minus 0, 1 or 2 in one and have a minus 0, 1 or 2 independent of the other

19. Archmage Orintil

I prefer observation to personal experience. While in some distant future I may look back with humor at that time I fell down the stairs, I can watch others fall down stairs now and receive instant gratification.

20. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think that if, you're going to have your willpower that high, then you ought to throw in a massive negative reaction vs. females, people with low int, fighters, mages, and gnomes. Also, toss in a "Train Wreck in Slo Mo" clause: anytime you talk to an individual, regardless of gender, with 14 or more points of beauty, you are stuck using the "Dumb" dialogues. Plus, you can only have sex with the sheep at Madam Li's, your strong willpower results in a desire to "save" yourself for the perfect woman, so you cannot have sex with people. BAA!

Our Host!