punishment by banhammer

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jarislajfr, Apr 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

well, one more account dead. is it at least possible to get a "UWBFTP"="user was banned for this post" mailed home? I mean, the last few things I did were to answer a few questions about Arcanum and rant about profits of the gaming industry.
    no gravedigging, no more promotion of sites illegal outside USSR, no CP, no abusive or NSFW content, no racism, no encouragement of violence - so I'm curious about what got me one more Void Ticket ;)
    jlt314 AKA soviet AKA Jarislajfr AKA whatever male scandinavian name I random next

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Apparently you were banned for linking to warez.

3. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

thanx for the speedy reply.

whining begins:
    no offence, but that's plain unfair.
    I've given exactly 3 links, all of which were removed without a trace. as the nice users enlightened me on the differences between russian and european law on intellectual property, I've ceased and desisted. (at least I'm allowed to think bad copyright infringement thoughts as long as I keep my tinfoil hat on 8) )

me wanna account backy-backy, moderator big meanie, wail-howl-cry-wimper...
    whining ends.

oh well, dead is dead - no pills to cure that. tho here, second post, unbanned users are mentioned. is there anything like an unban?

edit: while using TOR ("the onion router", vidalia bundle with privoxy, latest version, implemented into FF 3.0.9 beta with "torbutton" add-on) to access this account, I permanently encounter a "Session invalid. Please resubmit form" error message while posting. does anybody have experience with TOR on this forum?

4. Xz

It would absolutely be possible to unban you. However since I was not the one who banned you, I feel I'd be stepping on toes if I was to do so.

Also wasn't the reason you were banned initially that you openly admitted to having warezed a game? I would think that should be a rather large clue that warez aren't OK.

5. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

but admitting to having torrented and therefore warezed a game got me the ban on the "jlt314" account already. the "soviet" account has declared not going to witness against himself on account of knowing what warez is.

whoever banned the poor soviet, unban pretty please with sugar on top ;)

6. Xz

Admitting to torrenting a game, got you banned with "jlt314". What in the world would possess you to link to warez, with your new account after that?

7. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Whatever caused the ban, you earned it. If you behave it may be lifted within days, if not, well... What's there to stop us from banning another account ?

However I did prefer you as soviet, I can't even pronounce the current name.

Just a tip, when you get banned you lurk quietly and wait until the ban is over, maybe use the contact form to ask the admins for forgiveness - the ban is to keep you off the forums, not to have you swap accounts.

8. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

I was stupid.
    the resource in question (link deleted) is legal in Russia, but apparently illegal outside former USSR ;) so I posted, got the links deleted, posted again to point out that it was a unique russian legal source (yeah, stupid right again), got the links deleted again, got enlightened on my wrongdoing, and desisted.
    tho the late desist doesn't make me much smarter, I still want to ask politely for unban - I've repented my sins and shunned my previous ways on this forum.

Xz, thanx for taking time to enlighten a noob like me anyway - there are much higher prices to pay than a forum account in our copyrighted world :)

edit: The_Bob, feel free to adress me as jlt, 314, soviet or Jari - any splinter of the split personality is entitled full rights anyway :)
    IMHO a full ban as currently placed upon jlt314 and soviet does very little to discourage me from multiple ID use. a read-only ban, replacing e.g. my rank with "warez-ban" and my avatar with a countdown of days or weeks, would have shown that I'm doing time right now, but may return to civilized society if I behave and curb my inner barbarian.
    banning this account is therefore nigh useless.
    P.S. pray tell, where is the contact form and what alignment, IN, CH and Persuasion are needed to succeed in receiving an unban?
    edit 2:
    P.P.S. please forgive the edits, but I've just noted that there is no topic view frame while editing posts. is that a bug or a feature? if bug, how do I get the topic view frame? if feature, is there a way to request it changed?

9. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

here's the contact form. If you get banned again, use this rather then sneaking another account onto the forums.

10. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

thanx again. maybe "soviet" can be saved yet. not gonna ask about "jlt314" anyway - that lawless gravedigger will be kindly remembered ;)
    somehow feeling stupid again - after looking around the forum, I didn't even think to check the website for the contact form. now to hope that the extra stupid will leave my system by friday - it's exam time ;)

11. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

When I was banned I recall experiencing total "banment" of all of Terra-Arcanum, so whenever I went to any Terra-Arcanum site it wouldn't let me view it.

So I don't believe the contact form was meant for banned users, or the system was just poorly designed.

12. Xz

It wasn't, but unlike you, soviet, seems to get around the IP ban.

13. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    There's always the partial contenent ban.
    Those are always amusing.
    *elbows DF*

14. Xz

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

He's using an onion proxy, Xz. Didn't you read his post? The fellow (read: idiot) asked for help with one. Banning his IP will do nothing. It's being randomly generated at each interval, and PHP isn't sophisticated enough to work around that.

Papa: I'm slightly different. I was banned a couple times, and then disappeared for awhile.

16. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    True, but the fact that you got part of a contenent banned was just awesome.
    I wasn't around then, but still awesome.

Someday I'll have to go read all your old stuff and find out what made you the banhammers best friend for awhile.

17. DarkFool

I think you want the word 'continent.' :)

I've come to the belief we ought to just give him his account back to shut him up. I'm thinking soviet, but if you do, would you please capitalize the 's'?

18. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

although this goes very offtopic very fast, banning any IP that happens to come from my account is of little use, onion proxy or no onion proxy. the proxy system is only of use to access an account immediately after a ban, as my provider isn't nice enough to give permanent IPs. seeing IP change as a basic security detail, most european providers I know of utilize forced reconnect techniques. my provider has the forced reconnect set at 24h, so just lurking elsewhere on "teh intarwebz" for 24-48h would do the trick. new IPs are random, the chance to get any IP again is about (number of IPs used)/(number of IPs by provider) which I estimate at 0.1% after 3 years.
    as my limited knowledge of Internet ID technoques tells me that there's no way to ID a user who has a fresh IP, no cookies and no spyware/malware unknown to him, a permanent ban would require a full IP mask ban, thus taking some million ppl with me (my provider, maybe several providers from my dwelling location). or the much more bothersome manual ban of any TOR exit node that I use, while TOR offers millions of such nodes and there is no easy pattern to recognize them.
    there are no rules on proxy and TOR use on the forum, BTW.
    the next logical step would be to auto-ban as soon as any mail smilar to mine is used upon registering, or as my ICQ is added to the profile. this would at best force me to spawn account(s) with entirely fictional details (some kind of randomized spam-defender mail, no ICQ, no tracing profile data of any kind).
    all in all, in my humble opinion in this day and age there is NO method of banishment that can not be circumvented. if total bans without notice are enforced instead of punishment times (1 week ban + 1 month read-only for example), this derails into user ID spam, thus defeating the idea of forums as areas of unbiased communication.

edit: somewhere a topic or two down from here was a user who asked the administrators to chlorinate his profile; his username was set to "former user", appearing so on his posts. wouldn't it be a much funnier punishment to force-change usernames into something offensive instead of banhammer time?
    on the other hand, if the perpetrator isn't as offended as the rest of the forum, that's rather pointless too.

19. DarkFool

They literally banned half a continent to get me off this forum. You speak like they won't do it again.

20. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Is it just me or am I picking up on an undercurrent of challenge here?

Our Host!