Ashbury problems?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Xiaxo, Apr 19, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

I wanted to say first of all I love this board and the people here! Secondly this is my first time playing the game but I'm having a blast so far!

I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if it's due to the unofficial patch or just my ineptitude on this quest. I'm trying to complete the mayor quest in Ashbury. I use a potion of int and I go in to the meeting but the text scrolls by and the text is overlapping the other text. I can't tell what's being said. Then I talk to the mayor and he hates me. I'm not sure what to do to complete this quest.

Thanks for any help/tips and suggestions.

2. soviet

soviet New Member

either the e-guide or a walkthrough at gamefaqs.com had the correct answers for the quest. note that the IN potion's effect expires mid-meeting, so you'll need to drink one more.

3. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the gamebanshee walkthrough for this issue I was having. Are the answers that the peasants give supposed to fly by? I'm not sure how I give the response in correct order. There are no prompts like normal dialogue.

4. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Actually if you click really fast then the int potion can last throughout the whole meeting.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Aye, if you know ahead of time which answers are the correct ones, you can simply blow through the dialogue options and make it through while using only one potion of Intelligence, as The_Bob said.

Doing that always feels like cheating though...I usually save that quest for the end of the game when my characters natural INT is higher from leveling.

6. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Xiaxo,

So after you accept the quest and go to stand at the podium, the text box gives you no options? And the citizens' speech just continues very quickly without you?

Please check to be sure you are standing just behind the podium (to start the dialog). If you do so, but there are no text box options, you may have encountered a bug.

I'm sorry i can't be of more help.

Regards,
    Sky

7. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

Thanks for the help skyfish. There's just of random text that the villagers say. There is no text box that pops up for me to choose to say anything even when behind the podium.

8. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

I tried the quest last night just to confirm my memory of how it goes. What should happen is that once you step behind the podium, the villagers will ask their questions using floating text, and you respond with a choice of answers from the dialog prompt box. The higher your character's Intelligence, the better available answers are.

Can you tell us about your installation, ie patches/mods?

9. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

1. Install of the game
    2. Official patch
    3. Unoffical Patch
    4. HQ Towns
    5. MP3 Music
    6. High resolution patch at 1920x1200

No other mods or patches.

10. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

That's nearly identical to mine. Hmm.

Did you wait or sleep between accepting the Mayor's quest and approaching the podium, or e.g. run off somewhere to find an Essence of Intellect? I don't remember precisely but the meeting might begin (and end disastrously!) if you tarry too long.

11. Xiaxo

Xiaxo New Member

Something I forgot to mention is that I was playing the game in window mode at 1680 by 1050. I've also installed large text fonts with the resolution patch. This could be causing the hick up. Sense the reward is so minor I'm not to concerned about being able to complete the quest. Thanks for the help everyone.

Our Host!