Little help pls.!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Aiden_wolfhart, Apr 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Aiden_wolfhart

Aiden_wolfhart New Member

Hi,

I am new to the game & still working out the basics. my character is Lv 16 mage with Lv3 fire spells, Lv 5 force spells, lv2 Conveyance. + 2 level of throwing skill & + 1 persuade. Using boomerang as wepon.

I was hoping to open chest / doors via spells but failing miserably in Shrouded Hills. How much of MA I need to open barrels on smith’s house & general store house? I also tested using lock pick + 2 skill & training (with a lock pick) but it won’t open.

I have open the magic shop chest on Tarant using fate point – but next day chest is lock again. Is this normal or is it because I use fate point.

Is it ok to go solo on this game already my companions annoy me. There get in line with my boomerang or try to get them kill by charging to battles, even after I tell them to back off. Only use I have is as mules to carry the extra weight. I can always summon ogre & buff him with agility of fire.

I have notice no one talk about undead summoning - are there not good on long term?

What is the best way to mage to earn gold? I do not want to kill NPC or destroy there chests. Monsters do not carry any gold or items far as I see. My main income comes from selling magic item & answering inn question for 500 Gold coins.

Something went wrong between Shrouded Hills & Tarant, that pocket watch kind of icon start blinking repeatedly on NE corner of the screen & people in tarant walking like on some kind of speed drug. After molesting the keyboard some how it got normal. Is there way to speed up the game? I did not notice it on manual.

I am also interesting in your opining regarding char; I want to try out – Human escape lunatic with gambling to off set the money problems that going to be a tec. (solo)

I was hoping to find good shirt to off set negative -25 reaction, gamble for all item I need so I do not have pick pocket or use lock picks.

I am still not sure about tec skill I want use. Any suggestion. Is tesla rod good? What is the use for batteries?
    What is the best place buy ingredient for Fatigue Restorer ?
    Does having high Tec aptitude increase Charged Ring dex ?

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I think over 30-40 TA you get +2 dex from the ring - but that's how high it goes.

These are the shopkeepers' chests, they're damn hard to open. I never managed to open them with a spell, but if its possible then you'll need near 100 MA to hope for results. Also full lockpicking skill (5pts) is needed to open these chests.

Tesla rod is... Underwhelming. It's pretty cool and does decent damage, but it isn't particularly higher then stuff available earlier. Batteries are used for the tesla rod, magick spectrometer and the arrow-deflecting top hat

It's ok, especially the create undead spell - animate an ore golem or a seething mass and you're set for the dungeon. The problem with followers and summoned monsters is that you don't get any xp for the damage they do.

Also, magic items are a good source of income, there's usually enough of them to get pretty rich, if only you hit the extra locations and grab the loot.

3. Aiden_wolfhart

4. soviet

soviet New Member

this is gonna be a long list ;)
    - you need the MA of at least 80 to make the Unlocking Cantrip spell useful. grab a Dark Helm somewhere to have 20 MA bonus for this and in combat situations.
    - there is no rule not to go solo ;) as a mage you don't need to bother with the craftsmen followers anyway. just be warned that some places are really tough to make it through alive without meatshields.
    - try the original molochean hand mod - it will raise the difficulty of the encounters and provide you with large amounts of expensive loot.
    - no speed up I'd know of, except maybe turning combat to fast-turn-based mode.
    - in general tech chars are better off with money than mages - components for schematics are often dirt cheap, while the crafted items sell well for good prices.
    - grab a smoking jacket (+20 reaction) either in Vormantown (if you play A:WIP) or in Tarant. don't wear dread armor or walk with summoned undead / demons into a city - ppl get nervous around you ;)

5. Aiden_wolfhart

6. Aiden_wolfhart

Ok i been testing a tec for few days & found life is hard compare to mage.

only reliable weapon for long time & still is Molitov Cocktail ( carrying around 30-40) i got a good gun from pollok without joining the gang or killing him. unfortunately it still missing target at point black range even if i have 85% chance to hit.but when it hit it do damage around 22-32 .
    ( currently i am firearm expert) + any of the guns do not seam to work with undead.

2) I have raided kree for underground thief quest, i have looted all the armor i can carry with my 2 companion (solo idea goes to hell with tec) but no one want to buy them only black market buy the magical armor i am left with 7 more armor without place to sell.

by the way what is the best way to kill undead without magic. My currant character do not have melee skill.

:-x :x

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Get yourself a nice shotgun or rifle, son.

8. Aiden_wolfhart

I have hand cannon i thought it was better then rifle or shotgun!

9. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Okay. For the record: TA does -not- help with technological devices. That's a misconception.

MA weakens them, but greater TA is no help; TA 0 and 100 are equally useful for technology. That's the point.

10. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Cite please, Ramidel, with examples if possible.

11. The_Bob

you are wrong one one point and imprecise on the other. Go sit in the corner.

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Bob, if you're going to discredit him, could you explain yourself please?

13. The_Bob

To have the same thing repeated for the n-th time, tech aptitude does indeed affect modifiers on tech items just like MA affects those on magickal items. Examples are charged rings and eye gear, which normally give a +1 modifier but with sufficient TA go up to +2.

MA does two things to tech items, first and foremost it increases the chance to fail critically while wearing that item (fail at anything), secondly it may reduce/negate modifiers on tech items - again, charged rings have no effect on characters with high MA.

So in short, TA does have an effect on certain tech items and MA doesn't just weaken them, it makes you fail while wearing them.

Also, high TA increases the chance of spells cast on player to fail, including enemy spells (even though there aren't that many enemy spell casters).

14. Aiden_wolfhart

I did notice that healing spells randomly work on my char after TA of + 38

15. Aiden_wolfhart

What is the best way to compensate charisma low character.

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

If your charisma sucks, you're kinda screwed, my little pixie. If I recall correctly, there's maybe 1 Theapeautics schematic that might save you, but frankly as I never play Technologist I couldn't tell you which one.

17. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    The smoking jacket.

18. Aiden_wolfhart

I thought that was for low beauty characters

19. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

It is.

If your charisma sucks, the best way to compensate is by being a bad ass and persuading everyone with your sword.

20. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    You're right.
    I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Wouldn't charm or like potions help with this, or is that BE based also?

Our Host!