ArcanumAlive Project [UP 28.11.2008]

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by Crypton, Nov 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want new Arcanum client ? Read description in below...

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is not needed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Will it be possible to tweak the UI a bit? Like the quirky Arcanum inventory system, hotkeys, quickslots, this kinda stuff?

If yes, I suggest we all make a list of UI bugs/annoyances that would be better off fixed.

2. Crypton

Crypton Member

Everything is possible :) because "We" are making a whole new game engine....

3. Gato

Gato New Member

Sounds extremely cool. I'm really looking foward to what comes of this.
    Good luck Crypton!
    This could totally revolutionize the game!

4. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

sounds like it would make modding a lot easier. good luck, i will be keeping an eye on this.

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

After months, I checked pool in this thread... no interest at all, nobody offered real help with programming or researching, thats bad... thanks to community for nothing.

:thumbdown:

6. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself. There's two issues here that exist, so I'll explain them. First would be that you're asking for help in the Arcanum Discussion. Most of the people in here, myself included, don't know what you're after. Gaming forums generally aren't the best place to get decoders. Of the people who do know how to do what you want, most of them visit the Modding and Scripting section, and avoid the rest of the forum. Please note, since I'm now half way through my message. I'mn't trying to sound mean, or be mean. Any anger that may be conveyed has to do with RL, and I apologize if I don't succeed at masking it. Secondly, pause and examine the forum. In the time I've been here a large number,of individuals including myself, have sketched out ideas and rallied for help to try and launch their Arcanum modules/patch/doom ray/refinement/etc. the fact of the matter is, we're kind of jaded to them now. Most people will announce they're making a project, try to rally up help, attempt it themselves, and then get sick of Worlded/the community, and leave. If I had any knowledge I thought beneficial to you, and had the capacity to help, I would most definitely do so. However, as things stand, I lack such skills, and other than explaining the reason why you've seen an utter lack of support from the community, I'm fairly useless. I apologize.

I would recommend talking to both Drog Black Tooth and Rroyo, both of whom are around the forum. I'd also say make a detailed post in the Modding and Scripting forum, detailing what you're doing, and look for help. If you were able to break it into small segments, you could probably rally a person or two to your cause. Good luck!

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thank you for answer and advice , I really appreciate that ... :)

I just wanted to work on ArcanumAlive project, and I was really snarky that nobody offered real help and that almost nobody voted in pool...

I hoped that I'll find somebody who know "researching" and/or coding here, because its really hard to work alone on this big project.

Nevermind, I will work on ArcanumAlive alone, maybe I'll make project on sourceforge and somebody might join....

PS: I already asked drog for help, he did not answered me :)

10. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
  11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Nope, I did not asked there, I just asked only here and on arcanumclub :) I'll try to ask there, but I doubt that there will be somebody who could help... but maybe I'll be surprised :)

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would recommend referring to them for advice, not help. They're both busy with their personal projects, but are highly knowledge-able at the internals of this game, and can probably answer questions you may've.

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'd also like to note that some of us have no bloody idea what you actually want of us. And now you've had a hissy fit, some of the help you might have been able to rustle up will ignore or ridicule you. Plus, you know, putting this thread in the correct section of the forum might have helped.

14. Wizard of thay

Wizard of thay New Member

Hi,

the Poster is in simple terms trying to decode and reverse engineer the arcanum engine.

to do this he is wondering if there are any people who can assist with this mod by offering information with regards certain file format.

This may not have been the correct area to place this post but that ca happen.

If successful this project would allow for a hell of of lot more modding to be done to the game.
    as well as potentially endless improvements (if I understand what the poster is saying)

if successful this would allow arcanum to survive for many years.

My advise is for the op to PM drog black tooth with his/her questions as drog appears to be one of the most knowledgeable people here

15. Crypton

Crypton Member

I know :) Its hard to describe what I want in nonnative language... and I created this topic in Arcanum Discussion section instead of modding section because I though that this section is more visited, so more people might read it and help me....

Anyway, thanks to Wizard of thay for "translating" my post :)

16. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'll be frank:

Your inability to properly describe what you are doing or what it is that you want (combined with your dramatic "zomg nobody loves me" post) essentially describe exactly the type of person I wouldn't ever want to get involved in a project with.

If I were a betting man I'd say your project will flounder around a bit, and either never get up off the ground or simply become something of a hobby for you that you do in your spare time because you like it.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this type of words vs. action situation has been an affliction on humanity for some time now, and I don't see it coming to a halt here on the TA forums. Drog (and Rroyo) have succeeded largely because the bulk of the actual coding/whatever work was done soley by those two awesome people. Look at fan-made Fallout for example. That team project has amounted to exactly what over how many years?

The fact that this thread has already broken down into meta-bickering only proves my point.

17. Wizard of thay

Wizard of thay New Member

Philes. you appear to be a well respected member of this community. whilst the OP made some ill advised comments he/she appears to have some coding knowledge. given the age of the game and community perhaps it is better to welcome people and offer advice rather than metaphorically kick them.
    99% of mods of this type fail however what if this is one of the 1% that succeed?

anyway getting back on track. some questions for the OP.

1) This appears to be a replacement .exe project,
    and you state that you have made a directdraw to direct3d programme. would there be a chance of an early alpha release of this?
    this would allow the community to see what you have achieved so far (I think there have been to many false dawns with modding projects and some people are sceptical) an alpha release would show you abilities to programme, let the community see that this is a viable project and the very experienced modders may actually be able to play with it and offer the feedback that you require.

2) with regards this project my understanding is that many improvements will be possible
    for those that want to see what a .exe replacer can do:
    http://openmw.sourceforge.net/jaws/

still in the early stages but potential is awesome.
    DX11 Morrowind???

would that range of changes be possible. (I know we will never be able to get the graphical stuff but script extending and other hardcoded limitations could be removed right???

Another person to try and track down would be wesley weimer. he is a Baldurs gate Modder, he is the creator of Weidu and Weingine. if you could track him down he would be a great person to talkto about this sort of stuff in general.

http://weidu.org/

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Weimar! He gave us Solaufein! *girly giggle* I must look him up again.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'd like to think my post was simultaneously advice and a metaphorical kick in the balls. Nothing would please me more to see another awesome mod to one of my favorite games. However, being realistic about chances is something else entirely.

I've heard good things about Weidu, but haven't been able to track down a copy of BGII without resorting to internets. Wish I had the free time to play another game!

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Philes - PM me and we'll discuss ways of getting you a copy.

Our Host!