Nietzsche Poster Child XP bonus, Invisibility, etc

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Skyfish, Apr 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Hello all. I have a few quick questions:

1) Is the Poster Child bonus applicable to only combat XP or also quest XP?

2) What enemies can see through Invisibility, if any?

3) Does Sanctuary stop all undead from attacking the entire party or only the spell target? Are demons affected? (Guessing no, but...)

I'm afraid i don't have a computer handy right now to check these things myself. (To answer the inevitable question, i'm using my cell phone's browser.)

Thank you!

Sky

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Everyone can see through invisibility once you attack them.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Regarding #2: That I'm not sure on, but I believe any mob with a PE of 20 can see through invisibility. Whether or not any mobs have 20 PE and who/where they are is something I do not know. There might be other ways around seeing invisible characters as well.

#3: Pretty sure you need to target each party member individually, thus requiring either a high intellect, or a small party.

As a side note, it's often easier to just nuke your way through things instead of trying crap like Sanctuary. You get more exp that way too, unfortunately.

4. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Thanks for the reminder, The_Bob! I plan to use Invisibility to move unseen only. Though, i wonder now if i can cast a non-combat spell (e.g. Unlocking Cantrip) and still be unseen?

Thanks, Philes! Hmm, so Read Aura might actually have its uses if i play cautiously. If indeed there are a number of such enemies, that is.

Yeah, that's certainly true. My character concept is "Rational Half-Ogre Mage". By rational i mean to say that he chooses not to fight people or wildlife, but loathes demons and the undead. Persuasion, Stun, and Charm Beast are his tools against the former group (Stasis for machines) and as for the latter, i haven't decided. I'd like to avoid Harm because it was the bread and butter of countless other mages i've played.

I wanted to use lots of uncommonly used spells with this character, but some reading here tells me they aren't used because they're broken or just easily avoided (e.g. Call Fog). The other problem is that avoiding combat will limit my leveling rate considerably, which is why i need to come up with a way to smack down the undead. The Agility of Fire + combat skills method seems like an exploit, so i'd like to avoid that. But Harm is just so... bland. Any suggestions?

At any rate, you're probably right that Sanctuary is unnecessary -- especially since the character concept makes the mage essentially an undead-slayer!

Thanks again,
    Sky

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Unlocking Cantrip makes a shit ton of noise even if invisible, but it'd be easy enough to test out on your own (save up 2 points and just save beforehand and you won't even have to waste points if doesn't work the way you want it to).

The Earth College damage spell (I think it's spell #2) is a nice "handicap" for a damage spell. Twice the mana and an ability to have it's damage reduced make it more difficult to use. I used it for awhile on a mage character and found it to be amusing enough.

As far as Sanctuary goes, go ahead and use it if you want to RP a character, that's totally fine, but that's not something I often consider as I don't RP down to specifics like that often. I'm a slave to efficiency, and too frequently the most efficient way to solve a problem is through mass genocide.

Maybe I need therapy.

6. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Actually, doing bad things while invisible will piss off nearby NPCs just as much. Only difference is that unless you attack them, they won't attack you - so you should be able to pick the locks in their stores and fail pick pocket rolls, and NPCs will just go down to hatred and stare at you angrily. Be careful though, they will try to beat you to a bloody pulp as soon as they see you. I'm not sure if they ever relax after that, so they might stay mad forever.

As for efficiency, the matter hasn't been completely resolved yet, however the record braking characters in vanilla arcanum could take on ore golems and dread crystal spiders at level 5 without braking a sweat. Key to that were skills backstab and melee and spells agility of fire and stun. However, the game is playable with very inefficiently built characters, both combat-wise and socially - so build and play your character however you like and enjoy the effects your choices have on the way you play the game, regardless of how meaningless they may be compared to characters that kill ore golems in 3 hits (and still have the APs to kill another one and run away).

Also, invisibility has very limited influence on your effective prowling ability - meaning that even if you're invisible, if you start sneaking around, people will still be quite aware of your presence. It slightly increases your chance of remaining undetected and allows you to ignore the NPCs' sight range - but they can still hear you.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Funny thing. My latest save (I have no memory of saving there...) is with my dwarf mage, where he is standing in the back room of the smithy in Caladon, invisible, with the proprietor looking right at him.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Sig Hiel Mine Fuhrer!

9. soviet

soviet New Member

BTT: Skyfish, you could perhaps look for the various mods of the Arcanum magick system. I'd guess that there is a mod making a "harm"-less mage a viable combat PC.
    without mods, a fire- or force-spells based combat mage can make his living as well with some support. compared to a ranged fighter you have a little less trouble with hitting things while staying back.
    you might consider going for dodge and the jolt spell, making a slight copyright infringement on some manga characters with various "lightning punches" ;)

10. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice! After finally getting my hands on a computer with the game, i've found the following, which i post in case anyone else is interested:

1) Nietzsche Poster Child affects ALL experience, including quests. This might be useful for pure pacifist types, who have a finite experience pool. Then again, the CPs gained via other backgrounds may outweigh those that would be gained by the 10% bonus; i haven't done the math.

2) Invisibility can allow movement with impunity through hostile territory. There are very few enemies which have 20 Perception, but those which do exist tend to be most concentrated in Vendigroth.
    Again, thank you all for your help! And, cool idea, soviet :) Reminds me of a Fallout character i made whose sole purpose was to make everyone around him crit fail and kill themselves!

Regards,
    Sky

Our Host!