A little help with the level cap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elizire, Oct 18, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Elizire

Elizire New Member

First off, let me say that I really hate xp or level caps. I understand why they're necessary, but it ruins half the fun for me when I cap out before finishing the game. (I haven't even reached Quintarra yet!) I've downloaded and tried installing the cap hack from terra arcanum and it seemed to work fine until I leveled up. In an instant, I went from level 49 to level 100! I can assure you that this was not the desired effect. Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I just tried levelling up with and without the expanded xp charts and had the same reaction, instant level 100. This leads me to think that maybe the problem lies in the replacement .exe file. I have patched the game to 107 already (did this before I started).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elizire on 2001-10-18 10:25 ]</font>

2. Milo

Milo New Member

Where did you put the expanded level.mes file?

The reason I ask is because I put it into the /data/rules directory, replaced the arcanum.exe in the main directory and it worked fine for me.

3. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Milo's right, the expanded level.mes file
    is important, coz it works fine by me.
    And Elizire welcome to the forum...

4. Elizire

Elizire New Member

Thanks for the welcome

Yep, I did the same thing. I put the expanded xp list into a rules folder inside a data folder in the main Arcanum directory. I took the list from the page here and cut and pasted it into Wordpad, which saved it as a xp_level.mes.doc. That's when I first discovered the problem. I then changed the extension to just .mes, but then the game crashes to the desktop at the load screen. I'm assuming that somehow, I've completely buggered up the list. BTW, should I have removed the text that prefaced the list of xp and level values?

Any chance somebody could try emailing a copy of their xp_level.mes file to me? I'm at dwang_1701@juno.com.

5. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

You only needed to download the whole file from the site, then rename it to xp_level , its already a mes file as far as I know.
    Opening it with wordpad is a bad idea since wordpad tends to add some garbage characters. If you still want to cut and paste, use notepad, that should work.. Happy gaming...

6. Elizire

Elizire New Member

Thanks Skie88

I took your advice and it seems to work! Many thanks, and if Elowyn Stark (a Technologist/Melee expert) can be of any service, please just say the word.

7. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Your welcome, glad to be of service. :smile:

Our Host!