Most Interesting and weird Game Ever! *Spoiler Alert*

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Ring lord, Jan 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Hello there!
    Most of you probably don't know me, but I bet some do :)
    I used to lurk in this forum some 7 years ago :D

Anyway, the fact that I've stopped lurking here didn't mean I've stopped playing Arcanum, over and over again.

I decided to come here and share my latest Game experience with you since it's been quite an interesting game...

Anyway, here are the general details of the Character:

A persuasive, evil, mage, Gnome.
    That's right.

What made this game extra interesting was the fact that I followed the good path but had evil alignment.
    That was accomplished by the fact that up to Ashbury I've maintained a rather neutral position, doing some evil quests and some good quests.
    The fact I had high persuasion allowed me to choose an alignment rather late in the game - for example I got into the mansion of Bates by simply convincing the guard to let me in.
    So when I got to Ashbury I had something around 10 Good alignment, and my followers at this point were Virgil, Mead mug and the Dog.

Up to this point all went according to the good path.

I decided that getting Torian Kel would be a good idea, and I like his story so hearing it again is another bonus ("and so we stood... 10,000 strong..." AWESOME.).
    Purchasing a Dark Helm from a gypsy gave me negative alignment and allowed me to take the quest of Torian kel and eventually Torian himself.

In any case, everything continued by the Good path, even though my Alignment somehow got lower and lower with time and eventually reached -100.
    Currently I'm at the very end of the game, just before entering the void.

Now to the strange highlights:

1. Virgil did not leave even though I had followed the Good path, and Joachim didn't go berserk on us when we got to Caladon soon after.

2. Nasrudin said i'm too Evil to complete the quest, so I had to choose between good and evil - whether to kill the Bagorath or to just leave.
    I chose to kill it which left me with -70 Evil alignment -> apparently that's not "evil" and Nasrudin was more than happy to instruct me on how to get the device :).
    After I'll finish the game with this choice, I plan to go back to the Save game before the choice, in order to test out what happens if I simply don't continue the talk with him.
    Considering K'an Hua was not present at any part of the game, the outcome of not doing the Bagorath quest for Nasrudin could be quite amusing (I assume the computer will blow up).

3. My party now consists of the following:
    Virgil (Evil), Sogg Mead Mug, Torian Kel, Waromon, Raven, Z'an A'lurin and the Dog. (20 CH, yeah baby...) -> this is weird cause Raven shouldn't really fit with this band and this path of alignment :).

4. All the game the quests and NPCs were fitting themselves according to different paths, so what turned out is a game which consists of both the Good and the Evil paths, which was very strange.

Sorry for making this so long :D
    Would love to hear your thoughts on this tale!

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Damn it, when I get my disc back I need to bloody find Torian Kel already. That story sounds BADASS. (I swear, I can't seem to find that dude at all... I wonder if maybe I should tone down the 'Oh FUCK it's a skeleton FIREFLASH!!!' reaction when exploring that temple...)

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

4. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Well yeah, you should...
    Having an Evil alignment helps too :p

5. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

He'll follow you when you're near neutral, too. I've picked him up at about 15 alignment. He will leave if your align goes too high, or if you agree to help Nasrudin. I managed to stay neutral mostly through thievery up to that point.

I found that casting 'Control Beast' on animals that aren't hostile is also negative align, even if they're prone to going hostile as soon as they see you.

6. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

He didn't leave or even bothered to say anything when i told Nasrudin i'll help his cause and go do good stuff for him.
    Another weirdness?

7. Earth Nuggets

Earth Nuggets New Member

Persuasion mastery ignores good/evil alignment as well, which I always liked. Z'an A'lurin and Torian Kel are two of the most interesting characters. Z'an has some great dialogue, namely with Loghaire and Arronax. For Torian, there's always the Bane of Kree encounter, and I believe he'll attack you if you decide to battle Kerghan.

8. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Unless you convince Kerghan that he's wrong, and he willingly surrenders... into battle, but surredners.

That way Torian simply forgets his idea of saving his fallen buddies from torment.

9. Waffen9999

Waffen9999 New Member

You run around in an evil game without Geoffrey? That guy is hysterical and quite the riot. Especially when you're in Shrouded Hills. "What is this place, and that smell? What's that? Cow droppings!?!!? DEAR GOD!"

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Geoffrey is definitely the best evil companion, right up next to 'Piss me off and Bishop will look like a teddy bear compared to MY wrath' Virgil. *grin*

11. Waffen9999

Waffen9999 New Member

Virgil actually talks like that? I've never been able to get him evil sounding or be mean or anything. How does one go about performing such a thing?

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Shouldn't it be more like "Waffen9.5 + 9.5, 9.5 +9.5"?

Bloody nazi numerologist.

13. Waffen9999

Waffen9999 New Member

Not that I'm aware of no....... >stares blankly like Sogg<

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    "S" is the 19th letter of the alphabet. Had it been the 18th, with "9999" you could have meant "9+9x2" and then your moniker would have been Waffen SS, just like nazi's use "88" to say "Heil Hitler".

I wonder how the fuck my mind functions, getting far-fetched ideas like this...

15. Waffen9999

Waffen9999 New Member

Some how I had a feeling you were aiming at that route but no that really never entered into my thought process when I made the name. If it makes you feel better though then by all means.

16. Langolier

Langolier Member

The voice evil characters are definitely more interesting than the nice ones. Virgil has a good story, but Magnus' tale seems to fall off after you pick him up and only concludes if you go way out of your way. Loghaire doesn't really do much once you recruit him either.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Be evil. Be VERY evil. Then slaughter Stillwater to a man when the dark elves ask you to. Have fun. :D

18. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I don't understand how you people get so far in this game. Every time I start anew, I get about 10 - 15 levels in and say "OMG I have a new idea for a character," and then start over again. How do you break the cycle?

19. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Could you get the same effect by having Virgil "attack" things with the Bangellian Scourge?

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Who says I have? I just save where I've gotten up to with a particular character and go back when the mood takes me.

You should see the sheer number of builds I have in NWN2, especially Arcane Tricksters. Mwahahahaha. *fireballs some random irritating NPC for the sheer hell of it*

Our Host!