Thugs on demand

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DokEnkephalin, Dec 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Why is it that paying off the orcish bandits doesn't get you any benefit? You'd think they's appreciate someone who pays up without trouble.

Orcish Ringleader: We want coin. Give it.
    Me: Alright. 200, you said? You guys have it pretty rough out here, take 500, and buy your squaw something nice.
    Orcish Ringleader: A pleasure. We should bring the missus for tea sometime.

And then the next time you're attacked by level 25 wererats --

Orcish Ringleader: That's our meal ticket! Get the hell away from him, you damn vermin!

And why not? You get more money than you can spend, why not spread it around and get a good deal out of it?

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Because they don't give a rats ass for your sorry hide. They're only interested in your money, and they're not smart enough to understand that you need to be alive to give them more of it.

3. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I never have a problem spending my money.
    There's this little joint in Tarant that I'm particularly fond of.

4. Wolfsbane

Grant's Tavern? *innocent*

5. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Tarant has a tavern?!?
    I mean, there is a bar in the building. Didn't think it counted as a tavern or even had a name. That Lil, always trying to please.

6. Wolfsbane

Lil? Does she run a business in the docks or something? My mum says I can't go down there, so I've only seen the docks at a safe distance.

7. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Yeah, that scrap dealer can rob ya blind with his stingy wallet.

8. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    This reminds me of a scene from Paint your Wagon:
    (swap names out where appropriate)

Mr. Fenty: Horton, how did that bottle get in your pocket? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING HARD LIQUOR?
    Horton: Well, since this afternoon. I know you don't approve, Pop, but believe me, until you've had a good cigar and a shot of whiskey, you're missing the second and third best things in life.
    Rumson: Horton!
    Pardner: Where'd you take him, Ben?
    Elizabeth: Damn you, Ben Rumson. What are you going to teach this boy next? How to cheat at cards, or just physical education with one of Willie's floozies?
    Horton: That's the best one, Pop!
    Rumson: Horton!
    Elizabeth: Is that what you did today, Ben?
    Rumson: That's what *he* did today, Elizabeth! I tell you, that boy's got a talent for dissipation that is absolutely unique!
    [Horton beams]

9. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

You'd think a highly persuasive character could talk them into doing something other than suicide-by-attacking-the-PC, at least.

10. Wolfsbane

Have you ever tried to persuade a violent-minded fundamentalist racist, who's also desperate for money, to not try to rob you? If yes, did you succeed? No? Didn't think so.

11. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Is he a persuasion master? No? Didn't think so.

Is he obviously nasty enough to kill violent-minded fundamentalist racists without breaking a sweat? No? Didn't think so.

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Ramidel, your response makes positively no sense. Please refrain from attempting to mock Wolfsbane by responding in the format of speech he used: it worked for him, and not you. :)

13. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

If you fail at failing, did you fail or did you succeed?

14. Wolfsbane

Unlike other cases, where a double negative results in a positive, to fail at failing is just taking fail to the next step.

15. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

That would only be the case if I tried to fail. If I failed at that, it would create a cosmic paradox.

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

To be honest, I got exactly what Ramidel was saying, and it made perfect sense to counteract Wolfsbane argument. Basically what we're seeing here is:

Wolfsbane: Have YOU ever persuaded a crazy racist bandit not to kill you (presumably in real life)?

Ramidel: Well, he's not a persuasion master in real life. He also doesn't look like he can snap a man in half with his pinky in real life.

Sorry DF, but if Ramidel failed to get his point across, it's because you misread Wolfsbane's post.

17. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Is there any person in game who hates intelligents and only discusses with dump people? I'd love to meet him.

18. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Well, it's possible that one could be anti-intelligence and not know it. Judging from your spelling, you just might be a sleeper.

19. Wolfsbane

Why would they be interested in listening to your character in the first place? They've probably tracked you down, or seen you at a distance, before engaging you. If they didn't think they could take you on in combat, they wouldn't be as agressive as they are. They want your money (or your life) and they hate your (presumably) opressive racist ass. There's really no friendly outcome to this issue.

20. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

They talk to you, right? See: Lukan's band. They're interested in talking to you enough to collect road taxes. And when they're listening to you, they can listen to a master of persuasion spin things around inside their dumb skulls like in every main quest except the Black Mountain Mines and Vendigroth, and most nonmain quests too. You should be able to convince them that either, A, you're not a racist but a longtime ally of orckind, or B, you're a lot bigger and nastier than they are and that there's no sense bringing that kind of hurt down on themselves.

Our Host!