Shocking staff/tesla rod skill

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by DokEnkephalin, Jan 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Apparently a melee master can't use them accurately, but it's never made clear exactly what skill they depend on. Max electrical expertise doesn't help, either. They can't be firearms, can they? Bows?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's Firearms. I believe it says in the Firearms skill description that it covers guns as well as other technological weaponry, but that's not very obvious in the case with the staffs.

3. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

I assumed some sort of aiming ability would be needed, but to associate a rod that shoots lightning bolts with a 'Firearm' is a stretch I never would've made.

Hm. Do electrical attacks have the same problems penetrating high magick targets that guns do?

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't know. Suppose they do. If not, they're affected by the target's electrical resistance and not its technological aptitude.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You know... I'ven't ever used it... I really should. Does it truly throw lightning bolts? Can I barbecue guards in thier armor?

6. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

The Tesla Rod throws something that looks like a pinkish purple ball of static that, since I only had 24% accuracy with, mostly misses targets that it's very much bigger than. I hit once for miserable damage, but it looked like it might be dealing a close range burst, so maybe it can hit multiple targets.

7. Langolier

Langolier Member

I'm pretty sure the shocking staff is melee skill, but the Tesla Rod is most certainly Firearms. I never liked it all that much, to be honest. It isn't that powerful, the range isn't that great, and it hits your allies.

Our Host!