New or Changed Armor Models?

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by cckcckcc, Dec 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. cckcckcc

cckcckcc New Member

Does there exist any mods or hacks of arcanum that add new or improve upon armor models/character models. The existing ones have always bugged me and are extremely un-varied despite robust inventory pictures.

If not, is it even possible and how hard would it be to make such a thing.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The models are hand drawn sprites, not 3D digital models. So you would have to animate new sprites completely from the ground up which would consist of a few hundred cells in total and then animate them and put them in the game.

So it would be so difficult its hardly worth thinking about.

3. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

Hmmmmm perhaps it would be possible to copy some parts of existing models over each other. For example - copying the silver barbarian helmet one to the plate mail or adding peaces of the Chainmail to some Barbarian armors so that it won’t look to exposed and stop causing any negative reactions. Would that be quicker and possible?

You see I was thinking of the same thing for a while… but since I have no skills and no knowledge of modding I just didn’t ask.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You'd still have to cut-and-paste hundreds of sprites. Hell, thousands.

If you're up for it, I say go go go. If not, I totally understand.

5. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

But it would be quicker wouldn't it?

Anyway do give it a shot. The game deserves some better looking models.

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Not really, you would have to cut off the art at exactly the right spot and then perfectly manage to match it with the correct animation frame on the other sprite. The precision required would probably take just as long as drawing new ones since if you got it even a little misalligned it would be obvious.

I'm not even sure if you could get it to work.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's one of those things that may be possible in theory, but only if you quit your job/school, say goodbye to whatever social life you may have had and devote the next couple of years solely to this little project of yours.

I say go for it!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing was "hand drawn", critter sprites in Arcanum are prerendered models. In order to create new sprites on the same level of quality, you would have to make new 3D models from scratch and render them correctly. Cutting, paletting and positioning them is also pretty frustrating.

9. cckcckcc

cckcckcc New Member

Is this something that can be done in GMax and added to the source code or does arcanum have its own custom files for 3d models. I'm not sure what language the source code is written in, but it seems like the engine would have to be versatile and object-oriented enough for the actual changes to be limited to a small section. However, the consensus seems to think that it would be a quite laborious process, perhaps im wrong.

10. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

I have no idea… but if you could replace that darn pig faced helmet with a normal head or another helmet and put some actual armor on that barbaric armor I’d kill something in your honor.

11. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

I would certainly love to see what these characters looked like as models.

Uh, yeah. So, how about that Israel-Palestine affair?

Our Host!