Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Cedric Appleby

FrostyMixi: I will try to post only important bugs or solutions to unfinished/cut-out content, I promise :)
    If I discover only some small cosmetic discrepancies (like additional spaces etc.), I will post it together with more important bugs or will post more of them together in one bigger post.

"01056CedricAppleby.dlg"

line 526: there is $$700 but it should be $$500 ...
    with respect to the statement on the previous line 525.

corrected lines:

{525}{[He begins to scream at you, losing any semblance of restraint he may have once had.] THIS IS NOT A NEGOTIATION! [He pauses, attempting to control himself.] Excuse me. My emotions got the better of me for a moment. 500 coins is what you will receive for bringing me the book. Or I can just take it from you.}{[He begins to scream at you, losing any semblance of restraint he may have once had.] THIS IS NOT A NEGOTIATION! [He pauses, attempting to control himself.] Excuse me. My emotions got the better of me for a moment. 500 coins is what you will receive for bringing me the book. Or I can just take it from you.}{}{}{}{ }
    {526}{Okay, okay. Here it is. [Give him the journal]}{}{5}{}{-15}{$$500, qu1039 4, in 5202, gf2094 1, rp1011, fp }

... also there is one space at the beginning of the line 41, it should be deleted.

2. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Edward Teach

"01061Edward_Teach.dlg"

- improperly set haggle tests for lines 166, 167, 170 and 171. Lines 168 and 169 are OK.

corrected lines:

{166}{450 gold pieces.}{}{5}{ha 8}{174}{}
    {167}{450 gold pieces.}{}{5}{ha -7}{189}{}

{170}{I couldn't pay you any more than 400 gold pieces.}{}{5}{ha 10}{184}{}
    {171}{I couldn't pay you any more than 400 gold pieces.}{}{5}{ha -9}{189}{}

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice findings, DDTerr, I really appreciate them, but could you please edit your posts instead of double/triple posting. There's an 'edit' button.

4. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Multiple bug report :)

"01080William_Bench.dlg"

Probably bad results regarding reaction, it should be "re +10" instead of "re 10" for lines 233 and 238.

corrected lines:

{233}{Look, I mean no offense here. Let's talk about this...}{}{5}{}{237}{re +10}

{238}{I'm willing to improve this situation...}{}{5}{}{242}{re +10}

-------------------
    "01108Nasrudin.dlg"

Incorrect jump number on line 752, it should be 770 instead of 760 and also "mm52" should be added as a result of line 770 (similar to 760).

correct lines:

{752}{Where is it? I'd like to steer clear of it, if possible.}{}{5}{}{770}{ }

{770}{Its lair is located somewhere around...here. [He points to a location on your map.] You are wise to avoid it. I, myself, was unable to defeat it.}{Its lair is located somewhere around...here. [He points to a location on your map.] You are wise to avoid it. I, myself, was unable to defeat it.}{}{119}{}{mm52 }

-------------------
    "01110Stringy_Pete.dlg"

Another potential bugfix?
    I'm not sure with removing of "qu1054 1" from line 99. It could be important to prevent overwriting higher quest states with 1 when PC asks Pete for info about the first task again and PC has already completed the first task ... but maybe I'm wrong ...

-------------------
    "01172KanHuaBrodgarDialog.dlg"

Shouldn't be "co" added also for line 94 as it is "an idiot counterpart" of line 91?

affected/corrected lines:

{91}{Forget it. I refuse. I'll kill you first.}{}{5}{}{-2}{ss20, fl 85, co}

{94}{No way. I kill you.}{}{-4}{}{-2}{ss20, fl 85, co}

-------------------
    "01291Evelyn_Garringsburg.dlg"

There should be "re -5" instead of "re 5" for the result field of line 24:

corrected line:
    {24}{Uh...I no tell everyone my name...}{}{-4}{}{27}{re -5}

-------------------
    "01399Ivory.dlg"

Probably it should be added "re -10" to result field of line 96. It has similar content (revealing that PC thinks Sharpe is murder) as some other lines resulting to line 122 (eg. 103, 232, 502).

corrected line:
    {96}{Perhaps you should ask your homicidal boyfriend.}{}{5}{lf25 1}{122}{re -10 }

There will be more logical and error-free sequence of dialogues after following changes:

{341}{Wrath must have railed against you for your "betrayal" of him.}{}{5}{}{260}{ }

{351}{Wrath must have railed against you for your "betrayal" of him.}{}{5}{}{260}{ }

deleted {352}

Maybe it should be persuasion checks (eg. ps8 and ps-7) instead of charisma checks (ch14 and ch-13) on lines 402 and 403 which should act as next dialogue switch. Persuasion is an active ability used in dialogues ... also according to manual it should have more influence on dialogues.

On line 407 there should be "re -10" in result field with respect to "re -5" present on line 403.

Suggested & corrected lines:

{402}{It is understandable that you would have begun to hate Wrath.}{}{5}{ps8}{82}{ }
    {403}{So you and Sharpe hated him for that, didn't you?}{}{5}{ps-7}{112}{re-5 }
    {407}{He's right. You are very offensive. I'm certain Sharpe is, too.}{}{5}{}{410}{re -10 }

-------------------
    "01439Caleb_Malloy.dlg"

On the first line there should be NPC generated greetings (with respect to race/gender/reaction etc.) and not fixed text as it is now. See the surprised reaction of the player on lines 4 and 5.

So the corrected line should be:
    {1}{G:}{G:}{}{}{}{}

-------------------
    "01497Clarissa_Shalmo.dlg"

Bad intelligence check on line 112. It should be -4.

corrected line:
    {112}{Me throw lots of stuff...}{}{-4}{qu1153 2, sk3 -17}{182}{}

-------------------
    "01512Sammie.dlg"

Wrong result line on lines 70 and 73. Dialogue on line 77 is not used now so both lines should jump to line 77 and not to 74.

corrected lines:
    {70}{I prefer to keep my name to myself for now.}{}{5}{sk 5 -17, lf6 0}{77}{lf6 1}
    {73}{Me no say you my name.}{}{-4}{sk 5 -17, lf6 0}{77}{lf6 1}

Strange (probably unfinished) dialogue on lines from 147 to 153. There is money check for idiots (intel. up to 4) on lines 151 and 152 but no money check for the rest on lines 148 and 149. Moreover, line 153 is empty but there should/could be some kind of idiot version of line 150.

-------------------
    "01518Henderson.dlg"

Lines 17 and 18 - their result lines are swapped. See the similar results on lines 4 and 8.

corrected lines:
    {17}{Because I could kill you before any of the guards could help you.}{}{5}{sk2 15}{45}{re+10 }
    {18}{Because I could kill you before any of the guards could help you.}{}{5}{sk2 -14}{65}{re-10 }

-------------------
    "01558Willoughsby2.dlg"

Wrong intel. check for exit line 38. It should be 1 instead of 5.

corrected line:
    {38}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

-------------------
    "01618Master_Prowler.dlg"

Unfinished line 61. The global flag number is missing. According to similar line 54 it could be gf2267 1.

corrected line:
    {61}{You Albert Leek, da Mast'r?}{}{-4}{tr6 2, tr6 -2, gf2267 1}{147}{}

-------------------
    "01624Haggle_Master.dlg"

There is no need to restrict "ask question" line 62 only to idiots. Maybe it would be better to change it to be available to all persons.

suggested line:
    {62}{K:}{}{1}{}{43}{}

But now much more important thing ... there is probably money transfer command missing in dialogue path 43-87-91-113-116! Or is it an intention? Some kind of haggle mastery bonus? :)

If not, here are two corrected lines:
    {114}{Thank you. What more advice can you offer?}{}{5}{}{116}{$$ -10000}
    {115}{Me say thanks. Me want learn more.}{}{-4}{}{116}{$$ -10000}

-------------------
    "01633Gildor_Nightwalk.dlg"

One small fix. There is no need to restrict exit line 129 only to idiots. Maybe it would be better to change it to be available to all persons.

corrected line:
    {129}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

-------------------
    "01646Perriman2.dlg"

Two lines for idiots are missing in dialogue starting on line 338. I think it is not very good to use standard speech lines for idiots, so intel. check "1" is wrongly placed on both lines 339 and 340. It could be two lines (341 and 342) added and the exit line could be moved to line 343.

-------------------
    "01649Zan_Alurin.dlg"

Two wrong intel. checks on lines 20 and 21. Both should be -4 or 1 but not 5.

corrected lines:
    {20}{Uh...I no like your words. Think I kill dumb elf woman...!}{}{-4}{}{}{co, fl 35}
    {21}{E:}{}{-4}{}{0}{}

Line 108 should end the dialogue or go to line 345 because the original jump to line 59 would display player's name which Zan shouldn't know yet. The same is relevant for line 113 which also should end the dialogue or go to line 345.

The problem is line 112. The text or jump should be changed otherwise there will be the same problem as for lines 108 and 113. Or the player can reveal his name (see my solution below). Or we have to accept that Zan is master in telepathy and can read player's name from his mind or from some kind of Akasha field:)

My suggested solution:
    "lf5 1" means that Zan knows player's name

{17}{I have nothing to hide. I am @PCNAME@.}{}{5}{lf5 0}{52}{}
    {18}{E:}{}{5}{}{0}{}

{52}{[She gives you an appraising nod.] Hmmm. Honesty. You surprise me. You take a large risk in exposing yourself to me...especially considering what you are...}{[She gives you an appraising nod.] Hmmm. Honesty. You surprise me. You take a large risk in exposing yourself to me...especially considering what you are...}{}{10}{}{lf5 1}

{78}{I fear no one's power over me. I am @PCNAME@.}{}{5}{}{86}{lf5 1}

{108}{Yes. Some secrets are better left unsaid...}{}{5}{}{0}{}

{112}{Hmmm. You're extremely perceptive. My name is @PCNAME@.}{}{5}{}{115}{lf5 1}
    {113}{Wrong on all counts. You see nothing...}{}{5}{}{345}{re -5}

-------------------
    "01656Rolland.dlg"

Greeting response is missing for females on line 1.

Edited: it is not a bug as Drog explained it to me.

-------------------
    "01672Garrick_Stout_Melee_Master.dlg"

Wrong persuasion check for idiots on line 213 and probably missing one on line 214. Both lines should be similar to lines 210 and 211.

corrected lines:
    {213}{Me kin lie! You know, me say Chambers okay!}{}{-4}{ps 12}{222}{}
    {214}{You plan no good.}{}{-4}{ps -11}{215}{}

--------------------
    "01680Druella.dlg"

Line 20 is similar to line 17 (intel. check difference only), so maybe it should be "re -5" in result field.

corrected line:
    {20}{Mebbe it better me leave you to die...}{}{-4}{}{31}{re -5}

--------------------
    "01916JasonGuy.dlg"

Lines 39 to 46 should contain the same checks for local flags as lines 29 to 36, because they are of the same meaning - for the same questions only with different NPC speech.

Lines 84, 87, 103 and 110 should contain "re-3" as a result (see similar "Phaw!" lines 72, 75, 101 and 107).

corrected lines:
    {39}{What are you doing out here Jason?}{}{5}{lf2 0}{48}{}
    {40}{In what area of study have you specialized?}{}{5}{lf3 0}{113}{}
    {41}{What do you know about the Ring of Brodgar?}{}{5}{lf4 0}{78}{}
    {42}{Do you feel magick or technology will ultimately prevail?}{lf5 0}{5}{}{90}{}
    {43}{Wha' you doing 'ere, Jasun?}{}{-4}{lf2 0}{48}{}
    {44}{Wha' you study most?}{}{-4}{lf3 0}{113}{}
    {45}{Wha' you no 'bout Ring of Brawdgar?}{}{-4}{lf4 0}{78}{}
    {46}{Wich you t'ink stay 'round long time... magick or teknawlugy?}{}{-4}{lf5 0}{90}{}

{84}{I can't believe you actually buy into that rant!}{}{5}{}{38}{re-3}

{87}{You loony... believe dat stuff!}{}{-4}{}{38}{re-3}

{103}{You loony! Ha ha... You look for dis old teknawlugy?}{}{-4}{}{105}{re-3}

{110}{Ha! Me t'ink you loony Jasun...}{}{-4}{}{38}{re-3}

--------------------
    "01917Maug_Maulman.dlg"

Greetings for females are missing.

--------------------
    "01940David_Witt.dlg"

"re-5" probably should not be on line 92 as a result.

suggested line:
    Edited: {92}{Dat good... me like!}{}{-4}{}{78}{}

--------------------
    "02085Foster.dlg"

It seems to me that there are some missing lines for idiots in dialogue on lines 45-54. Also exit line for idiots should be added to the dialogue on lines 225-234 (if we add line 48 as the idiot counterpart of line 54).

suggested lines:

{47}{Me listenin'.}{}{-4}{}{75}{ }
    {48}{Me not like listen looong stories. Bye.}{}{-4}{}{225}{lf1 1, lf3 1 }

{235}{E:}{}{-4}{}{0}{ }

--------------------
    "02194HalfOrcThug.dlg"

Something is maybe missing in result field of line 100 or it is only forgotten comma.

--------------------
    "02816Gaylin.dlg"

Greetings for females are missing.

--------------------
    "02834Sebastian.dlg"

There should be some reaction bonus as a result of line 9, because the line 9 has much better answer (line 27) from Sebastian than answer (line 22) from lines 10 and 11.

suggested line:
    {9}{Are you QUITE sure of that opinion, sir?}{}{5}{ch 15}{27}{re +20}

--------------------

... more bugs and solutions will appear in this thread later...

5. Kanadyets

Kanadyets New Member

Hi there.

Wanted to take the opportunity to say thanks to Drog for the patch. It's definitely revitalized the game for me.

I've been having a problem with the Arcanum universal level cap remover. I changed the cap and even if I have no party members my gauge continues to fill once I'm past level 50, but I don't gain any additional levels. Is this a common problem? Is my problem with the UAP or the cap remover?

6. Koorac

Koorac New Member

The reason could be that you don't have an experience table for more that 50 levels in your Arcanum folder. I think the required file is called xp_level.mes.

7. Kanadyets

Kanadyets New Member

Yes, that file is lacking. Found that in the file for download. Just didn't read the readme file completely. In my defense, it was tucked away in a few lines near the bottom. My apologies.

Thanks for the help!

8. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

I'm not sure if it has been reported, but in Quintarra you have a few lines of conversation with the guard who guards Jormund...
    You can talk with the guard about the dark elves and eventually he'll say something around "don't you know how we are different?" to which you can reply "How are YOU different?" and "How are WE different?", now I noticed it while playing with a gnome, and if you choose, the "WE" option, then the guard acts as if you're an Elf :p

9. Kanadyets

Kanadyets New Member

So I included the necessary file, but the problem persists. Any other possible faults?

10. Earth Nuggets

Earth Nuggets New Member

11. conrad

conrad New Member

Thank you for your work. It's awesome!

I'm playing a hafling with latest unofficial patch, but I find that creep armour and small robe of the chameleon doesn't work properly.

Creep Armour doesn't give any bonus for backstab but only 1/4 bonus for prowling. (description : backstab, prowling +2/4)
    Small Robe of the Chameleon gives only 1/4 bonus for prowling.
    (description : prowling +2/4)

My magick aptitude is high enough. Magick power available : 100%
    I don't know what I did wrong.
    Would you check those items' availableness again? Sorry.

12. Serious Callers Only

Serious Callers Only New Member

When having both Magnus and The skeleton guy that was in the Ancient Ruins in your party, there is a dialog that you can use a persuasion check to make magnus accept the guy. Problem is magnus doesn't (if the admissal order is Magnus -> Skeleton)
    In the other order it works.

Btw i think that Tula is BOOORING and i wasn't amused that i actually had to solve the puzzle now. At least make us able to go to vergiongoth in the world map before we are supposed too (like with Quitarra).

Also because of heavy metagaming (obvious) i found that some quests would not have the option kind (oh i already did that) or even not show. For example the quest giver to find the iron clan never gives the quest if you already went there (i guess magnus doesn't pester him once he found his clan so no quest).

Edit: Oh and another thing. Why is summon familiar so horrible? I mean he only gains hp and stamina, DOESN'T spend the points he gains (probably because he doesn't have a level up scheme) if it dies, starts at level 1, and can't be resurrected. I think it originally was supposed to be like Dog (that has a level up scheme).

13. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

I assume that the gravedigging rule doesn't apply to stickied threads, but i apologize in advance if i'm mistaken.

I used the spell Purity of Water twice (so +80 Reaction modifier). When i listened politely to the tale of the melee/dodge expert in Black Root, his Reaction goes to 75, which i assume is because the change is set at 75 instead of e.g. +25. The immediate downside, of course, is that cancelling the spell brings the NPC to -5 Reaction -- and his buddies don't hesitate to help him in his unprovoked attack.

I don't have dialog line numbers right now but if this is the kind of problem the UAP is meant to correct, i'll gladly look those lines up.

Regards,
    Sky

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Will look into it, thanks for mentioning.

Also, a new version of the UAP is in works and will be released in a few weeks. Feel free to report as many bugs as you can.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

(Gravedigging doesn't apply to thread like this Skyfish, don't worry)

I've noticed this same problem, actually. With multiple different NPC characters while using Purity of Water. I think there must be something that forces the reaction to be set to a certain number (like Skyfish said).

While manual setting of reaction to +75 might be an upgrade for some ugly characters, in this particular situation it would kill you/the NPC.

16. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I've encountered a smaller scale but similar problem before when wearing equipment that increases BE or Reaction. The drop wasn't so large when I got rid of it, given the generally low enhancement such items give, but I was still left with a minus figure on Sammie White's reaction (resets to a low number when you talk to him before you begin the exchange of insults) - I just took my leave and left him with a low reaction, next time I walk past without the reaction bonus, the little sod attacks me.

17. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Thank you, Drog. If it would be helpful i could pick up those line numbers on my next playthrough. EDIT: Herkemer Oggdoddler's {125}

As Philes and Minuos have mentioned, this isn't really an isolated problem -- but having just last night completed a 'pure pacifist' playthrough, i must say that i don't intend to play a diplomat again for a while. In the meantime maybe someone else with a high-Beauty character would be willing to keep their eyes on Reaction changes? If not, i'll be sure to do so next time.

I'll keep my eyes open for further issues. I'm taking two weeks of vacation starting next Tuesday, so i'll probably spend far too long in Arcanum.

Philes, thank you for the rule confirmation!

18. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

There is a bug in Vooriden. If you finish the quest to bring back the altar stone, then you shoule be able to give an offering, but it says the altar is broken and i can't read what it needs.

19. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Alright, I think I've got something. If you speak to someone whilst invisible, most will simply comment on "hearing things", or "the wind speaking". When you speak to these people again, however, they react as if they have already met you.

20. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Hello again,

1) There is an infinite gold loop in H.T. Parnell's dialog. Unfortunately i don't have a past save to go back and experiment with, but here's what happened:

After stealing the fake Giant pelt, i tried to sell Parnell the genuine pelt. He made an offer of 2,000 gold. I tried and failed to raise the price, then told him to forget it and exited the dialog. I reinitiated and agreed to the deal. Now the pelt is in Parnell's inventory, but i can receive 2,000 gold repeatedly by following the loop of lines 70 and 93. Exiting the dialog, city, or program has no effect on the loop.

2) If i murder Magnus Shale Fist, at some seemingly random point in the future i will enter dialog mode and the long-dead Magnus will berate me for taking his items (the dialog that usually occurs if you take his book, etc). There seems to be no other effect.

3) This one is odd. While using a character with several mechanized arachnids, i noticed that many Kites would, instead of fighting, run a short distance away and then simply stand there, chirping, until they were eventually killed. Molten arachnids displayed similar behavior.

4) Can ingredients found in the world map wilderness (e.g. kadura stems) be prevented from spawning inside tree trunks? Those ingredients are irretrievable.

Regards,
    Sky

Our Host!