Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

When I get home, I'll check my notes and refresh my memory. The Spider Cave shouldn't have been blocked.
    Now, Acererak's Tomb was blocked because if you're going to trap a powerful magic-user, you need to cut off all means of escape. This made sense to me at least.

Yes there is. In maplist.mes you link a map to a specific area on the main map. ie: The Tarant sewers are linked to the town of Tarant.
    Then, just like you mentioned, an exit or teleport from an interior scene returns you to the start point of the town or external area the smaller map was linked to.
    With Vormantown that would have meant Melloncamp's cabin at Ivory Lake.

You're right, this is a strange bug - and I have no idea why you got it, much less why it suddenly corrected itself.

Edit: I'm home again and checked. Neither the Spider Cave or Acererak's Tomb is on the anti-teleport list. I changed my mind about the tomb a while back.

Here's what is:

// List of Anti-Teleport *Maps*

// Note: -1 is placeholder, change it to a valid MapID from maplist.mes!

{1000}{5069} // Fa'al Kin's Maze
    {1001}{5007} // VOID
    {1002}{5071} // VOID - Arronax's Interior
    {1003}{5072} // VOID -Kerghans Castle
    {1004}{5074} // VOID - Cave Of Kriggyrd's Falchion
    {1005}{5081} // Cargo Hold
    {1006}{5089} // Vormantown
    {1007}{5068} // Dernholm Pits
    {1008}{5090} // Cave of Banishment (Cavern of Madness)

I'm afraid you have more than one problem going on.....

2. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Well of Souls also appears to be !teleport, but I kind of knew intuitively going in that I wouldn't be getting out without solving the maze. That wasn't intended?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep! There's only two ways out of there and one of them is to solve the maze. The second is an unintended cheat, but I'll let the players discover that one for themselves. :D

4. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

This is a bit puzzling; getting lvl 41 takes 400k exp. That's a steep hill to climb, but doable at this stage of the game. Lvl 41 only takes 140k? Was there a reason for creating that lvl 40 hump?

I'm playing with a fighting character, but I imagine if I tried this with any of the non-combatant characters I've played, I would've said 'fuck this!' by now.

EDIT: And for that matter, I'm also playing a character with 20 dex and looking at this WIDE expanse of space in the Port Ruins. If I were playing one of the low-dex non-combatants, I'd be screaming, "My kingdom for a horse! My spells, my equipment, my goddamn nuts for a fucking horse!"

My point is that it's creating a gameplay challenge that you might or might not have intended, but it surely is a far from fun one.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

All I did was rest the original levels in xp_level.mes by 1x stock for 1 - 10, 1.5x for 11 - 20, 2x for 21 - 30, 2.5x for 31 - 40, and 3x for 41 - 50.
    So that's why you get the big jump between levels 40 and 41:

{39}{1681250}
    {40}{1792750}
    {41}{2292000}
    {42}{2439300}

This has proven to be a fairly decent way to offset the effects my additions were having on the leveling scheme.
    No being at level 16 when you get to Tarant and finding level 8 Magnus waiting to talk to you.

:lol: Thank you for the best laugh I've had in days!

The twin cities are a bit large, but would you believe the entire area is actually smaller than Tarant? (just barely) It's the desert terrain and openess of the ruins that makes it appear so frickin' huge.

As for the intention: It was one of my early efforts, but more or less what I had intended.
    Maybe it's just me, but when I finally replayed the scene a few days ago, I found that I still liked exploring the wide-open area and stumbling across some little little goodie I'd forgotten about over the past couple years.

6. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

It's sort of like coming across Pompei before anyone knows the bastards lived or died. But a little more story would've made it more compelling, some notes and diaries to expose how they lived.

I mean, I'm all about the spider-hacking ("Look, something moved! Let's kill it and take all it's stuff!"), but method to the madness is always appreciated.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Above ground, look at the architecture. Vorakia is older and more militaristic while Adia is newer and more civilian steampunk.
    When you get into the grounded ship's hold, look for the journal.
    When you go underground in Vorakia, look for the notes.

At this time, this is about all I can suggest.

8. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

I must've missed something in Vorakia, I only found one note along with a key that didn't open the nearby door, which I noticed was unpickable and batterproof. Is there an alternate route from the sewer beyond, or do I need to bring dynamite or is that even going to work?

EDIT: Level 40 vorpal bunnies...holy shit. I'd been getting cocky because I've been single-shot killing almost everything with a balanced blade, but these guys were the biggest challenge I've seen in a long time. I had to reload five times to get through them.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

OK - I'm finally back among the living. Frickin' flu.

When you first go into the Vorakian underground, there's some offices and living quarters. Search through them for the missing note and key.

:D Aren't you glad I deleted three of them?

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm really enjoying the 5.whatever release I'm playing right now. Can't wait to reach Roseborough and find my cottage!

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

12. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Unpickable doors, unpickable doors. Can you think of anyting more contrived? Can you tell a player who spent in lockpicking how necessary it was to make their investment an assscraping farce?

I know, you're thinking it's alright because those who spent in lockpicking at an expense of those skills that would give you your deserved facegrinding beneath their boots don't have the skillpoints spent in skills that would grind your face deservedly beneath their boots. Because you know you'd never fuck them over the way you can lockpickers.

Alright, how many old game tropes did you suck before you thought this was a good idea? Maybe you could do the honorable thing and not leave that skill selectable if you can't show it any respect.

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I've been without my own PC for nearly a month and have finally gotten it back warranty repairs are free but they take ages.

So as I start out testing all over again I was just wondering if the current build incorporates this?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sorry, but that was something I hadn't gotten to yet.

15. Vorak

16. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Wtf? Now I know I was drunk when I posted that, but I remember re-reading sober it in Arcanum Discussion, where I intended to post it. Someone fucking with me?

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not that I noticed. The post looks the same as it did the other day.

18. DokEnkephalin

DokEnkephalin Member

Must've been drunker than I thought, I posted the same thing to a Fallout 3 forum.

19. Vorak

You weren't wrong about a fresh clean install with the 1074 patch.

Having finally gotten my new hard drive I reinstalled yesterday, installed AWIP and got going but kept encountering strange things like the options menu having no text, having the game crash when I tried to enter options or having the game freeze when looting corpses.

Then I remembered I'd forgotten to download and install the patch. Its a lot smoother now that I have.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Just like assembling childrens' toys - things go so much easier when you follow directions. :wink:

Our Host!