Blackroot Taxes difficulties

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kennon, Dec 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kennon

kennon New Member

Alright, so I recently decided that I should play the Arcanum Game of the Year edition that's been sitting on my shelf. Turns out that it's a great game and a total blast to play. Unfortunately, I have a strange situation. I have not installed any patches. I accepted the Taxes quest, then killed the thief and took the dagger back to the mayor. I picked the proper option about his guards, and he then gave me the taxes. Then I ran around and did a couple other things before heading back to Praetor, who tells me that I don't have the taxes. The Mayor seems to think they've already been given to me. I don't see them on the ground anywhere or in my inventory. Normally, I would just reload an older save and redo a few things, but strangely, I hadn't made a separate save in about 5 levels, so I'm a bit loathe to try and remember what all I did.

I saw a couple other posts here on issues with this quest, but those seemed to be patched games. Still, I thought it worthwhile to see if anyone might have an idea before deciding I'm screwed one way or the other.

Thanks, all.

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Patch.

P-A-T-C-H.

It fixes problems like the one you've mentioned. I realize that you might have started playing it and already progressed with your save before you were aware a patch even existed, but such is life. Get the patch and start a new save file, it's really the only solution that will avoid future problems like the one you mention in your post.

Get the English patch here:
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/patches/arcanum_en_1074.exe

3. Koorac

Koorac New Member

Yes, as Philes said, install the official patch and start a new game. You could install the Unofficial Arcanum Patch after the official one, it fixes a lot of bugs that remain in the 1.0.7.4 version.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Hopefully that lemonparty redirect didn't scare him away permanently. He's missing out on great content if he doesn't patch and finish the game!

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I must be the only guy in the world to sometimes open Lemonparty in a browser tab just to listen to the song.

Does this make me a closet homosexual?

6. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Fuck, Philes! Your deviousness knows no ends.

Oh, patch! Do patch, please.

Just for the song, eh? :/

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

8. kennon

kennon New Member

So if I do patch then, my older saves will be incompatible?

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Assume that they won't. I have yet to hear of anyone who patched mid-game who didn't have all kinds of troubles.

10. kennon

kennon New Member

*sigh* Now I have to decide if I can bear to play through the first 5 hours or whatever of the game all over again so soon.......

Our Host!