Its almost pathetic enough to make me go open source

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Dec 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I use Vista, I use IE, I use Media Player, I use Microsoft Office, you get the general idea right?

I have a computer that is full of Microsoft software that I have purchased with my own money because I prefer it that way. Open Office was okay, Firefox was a nightmare beyond belief and Linux was cool but I'm a lazy man who wants to be able to install software without having to mess around with things. I have nothing against open source, in fact its a fantastic ideal I just prefer my Microsoft products.

Then I read this: http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/l ... -back.html

I am seriously considering going open source just so I don't risk using the same software as that woman.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Please be advised that computer game developers are of the same mindset as "Karen", and that Windows games don't play too well in Linux, many not at all.

That, however, is the only problem I've come across, that simply won't improve.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

OH-MY-FUCKING-GOD

She just set up a new standard in retardation levels.

On a side note, fuck the x.org developers for a commit that made it impossible to properly use my Radeon X550 in my second machine.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If my library of games could be made to run flawlessly in Linux without resorting to half-measures such as running Windows under the Linux kernel I'd switch to Open Source in a heartbeat.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I haven't been this conflicted in a long time. I don't know whether to be outraged, pissed off, amused, or depressed.

I'm a Windows boy through and through, but this level of ignorance combined with misplaced activism just.....just.......

Gah.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Heh heh. Do you think she has trouble keeping her empty head on a pillow with all of that hot air inside?

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

That was pretty impressive. I normally expect that level of stupidity out of the idiots who use Mac's and swear that Vista is completely useless and unfuctional. Most of the people I know running Linux just wanted an OS they could tinker. I could run Linux, but I'm just a little too lazy to learn it. I've equated (and I believe this to be accurate) learning OSX or Linux (when raised using windows, it works in any combination), to learning a foreign language. I think, in all honesty, that's a tad exaggerated if you're a technologically inclined (I could use a Mac with little difficulty if I tried, I think), but for your average 'I read/send email and use a program or two' person, then it's fairly accurate, I think.

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I'm with DE, if my games would run on linux I'd be completely open sourced in a heartbeat. I do have an old linux box in my basement that I tinker with from time, but I don't really do anything with it at the moment.

It's mostly true what he says about the NEA, most of them do try to push MS products because it's what is being used in most of the classrooms today. There are, however, a few schools that are either all Mac (especially in the elementary schools) or have both mac and windows in the school. He says they could be reprimanded or fired for openly supporting an OS other than MS, but that's just not true.

10. ville-v

ville-v New Member

If you want to leave Windows just for the sake of it but Linux is not alternative for you, you could try ReactOS.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    I rarely do things just for the sake of it. I'm horribly pragmatic that way. See, I use Windows because it works, but would want to use Linux because it's free.

Also, my impression is that Linux doesn't chafe performance the way Vista does. The ideal OS should be kept at a bare minimum, leaving resources for other applications. Stuff like Vista requires a behemoth of a rig just for its own sake.

12. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Windows 98? :p

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I liked XP more than Vista, myself. In XP, I didn't have to deactivate my security feature to do anything.

14. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

It should be noted that ReactOS is still in alpha.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've been tempted, but then there's the issue of support, security, and overall compatibility with newer games.

If only it was possible to create an OS that was immune to viruses, could run any game, from Amiga to Next-Gen, without any trouble and required mere kilobytes of RAM and negligible hard drive space.

16. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I think the Windows 3.x series does all but the Next-Gen stuff. Too bad MS stopped selling licenses for it and supporting it a month ago :'( R.I.P. SkiFree

17. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I only upgraded from Win98 to Vista a little over 6 months ago, compatibility had become to much of an issue.

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

19. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I'm all with Darkfool and Dark Elf on this one.

I run Windows because it works, and I can play my game. And I'm to lazy to learn a new OS, even though MS sucks.

But I am hoping that windows 7 will do fine.

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I was raised on Macintosh computers, so I'm pretty familiar with their operating systems. I only switched over to Windows in 2004, but XP is so simple that it took almost no time to acclimate. The only thing I really miss about Mac OS is Crystal Ball. It's the most user friendly D20 character roller and quest creator I've ever used. It slaps PCGen in the face.

Our Host!