Playing evil. (spoilers ahead)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by malango, Nov 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. malango

malango New Member

I've had the game for over 7 years now and in all my plays I never played an evil character. So I started one last night. Anyway I remember reading earlier that day that some people find it hard to become evil, but I got to -100 alignment after like an hours play, and I didn't have to butcher a town hahah.
    I started with sell your soul did some nasty deeds, bought the evil helmet (forgot the name) and I bought the evil alignment shield but it didn't have any affect? is that an unreported bug? Oh and my best slightly cheaty way to become evil is to alway be rude to the homeless, you can keep doing it the same tramp until they attack you. (I figured this out because I used to do that the opposite for good heheh).

I have to say it's very fun playing evil, it's like a new game for me. Only thing is I have no idea on how to play it so I might have a look.

So something I never did (avoiding evil) was use the harm spell, man that spell is evil, you can kill things before even entering combat, and after only about 1-2 hours play I had 100 MA and was vorpal bunnying enemies to death, only thing is I've never played arcanum and found it so stupidly easy at the start, mainly because 99% of the time I usually play a ranged weapon tech character, which can be tough the first section of the game. I will finish my evil play though, it so much fun.

I also have 19 beauty already after starting with 9 and I've never bothered with beauty before, It's quite good to have.

Sorry there's a lot of different topics and spoilers in here. I just felt compelled to tell you how much I'm loving my evil harm addicted bunny weilding Elf.

2. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Aww, come now. What kind of evil wizard doesn't use Harm?

3. ville-v

ville-v New Member

That is cheating. What kind of evil person are you if the worst action you have done is insulting some homeless beggar?

4. malango

malango New Member

I am usung harm, after starting my evil play last night.

Hahah What can I say I'm not a good person. No I won't give you any money you bloody vagrant!

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

The evil alignment shield doesn't change your alignment. It gives you AC bonuses that increase as you become more evil.

7. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've been playing an evil Elf for a little bit.
    Got to -100 and so did Virgil.
    Now to keep my evil reputaion, I'm tying Virgil to a chair and making him watch Pollyanna and Hello Kitty.
    The screams make me warm inside. :mean:

8. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Getting -100 is kind of easy. Climbing from there to 100 might be a little harder if you have killed everybody in the world. You have to resurrect beggars, give them money and kill them again.

9. malango

malango New Member

hahah yeah, luckerly I've barely killed anyone, because I'm playing the I'm evil but people like me type of player with high beauty and charmisma heh. Only people like mangus don't like me.

10. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

That's pathetic. There's nothing like when people dislike you for exposing Bates, butchering a town and a certain amount of other heinous acts.

11. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I wonder: is it possible to complete the game killing EVERY SINGLE NPC in the game? And I mean before talking to them/extracting quest info. I, for one, am not sure how that would be handled in Qintarra, what with Raven and Silver Lady. Nasrudin as well.

12. Eldakar

Eldakar New Member

I am sure you get teleported to void when you kill Nasrudin. Not sure about Quintara and Silver Lady. Anyways it's much more fun to complete game without killing anyone. Just unleash naked halfling when you arive to Kerghan castle, he should do the job with guards outside and you wont get any kills. Kinda offtopic but wanted to share.

13. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Well, actually, playing an evil character is just a theory for me - I simply can't force myself to be evil in video games. You can say I'm a so-called moral*** (/v/ will understand what I mean). I am merely exploring the possibility.

14. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Nasdurin can kill K'an Hua, so Silver Lady would be the only person remaining. If random encounters with the dwarf bounty hunters end at level 50, I am not sure about that. It is shame there is not special ending for that :p

15. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

/b/ also understands what you mean.

Playing evil is pure fun, and can be challenging if taken to the extreme (either with the raving lunatic type of evil, or the calculating-backstabbing evil).

16. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Again with Nasdurin, eh? :lol:

Anyway, as Frigo stated playing evil is fun, but it can become, in my opinion, boring if taken to the extreme. The whole evil dumb half ogre fighter killing everything or evil smart elf wizard killing everything gets boring after a town or two is reduced to ashes. Too bad you can't destroy houses, maybe then it would be more fun.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Evil toons can be fun, but it always seems like evil-based quests and game completion strategies are the afterthought and not merely an alternate playstyle. It is for this reason that I usually am a goody-two-shoes.

PS I swear to God if I see anymore 4chan referenced in this forum I'll start setting shit on fire.

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I second Philes' opinion, and add certain threats pertaining to creative use of the Disintegrate spell, public humiliation and pubic dismemberment.

19. ville-v

ville-v New Member

I was thinking of playing very paranoid character. You always get followers to join by telling your full story, but he would never tell such things to anybody. He would have to kill Virgil right away, because there is danger he will reveal stuff to Joachim. When G.B. would ask about what he found from the mines, he would not reveal it because it could reveal his background as the Living One. I wonder if there is a way to not to tell anything to Raven, Simeon Tor and Nasdurin, too. I have never tested.

Nasdurin speaks to us all, in some point of out lives.

20. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I am not sure. While it may be possible to find further clues somewhere in Bates' house, I somehow doubt you can escape a conversation with Raven.

Our Host!