Whelp, wish me luck.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Oct 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. stylex

stylex Member

I have, this new pc for 2 months -.- .Don't say what yo don't know.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. If you want to have a flame war, have it somewhere else. The curtains in this thread are flammable.

Progress for Thursday 20th November

Words Written Today: 2,003
    Words Total: 49,092
    Location Written: My bedroom and lounge room
    While Watching: Rumpole of the Bailey, Adam Hills live, and The Outer Limits (Adam Hills is funny as)
    While Listening To: Linkin Park's Reanimation
    Authorial "WTF?" Moments: 1 (Elenor! Get over here and explain the fact that it's now 100 years later than it ought to be but you, Cliff and Sophia are still alive!)
    Fainting Fits: 1
    Spiders Destroyed With Magic: 1
    Today Was: The Day Of The Great Editing Festival (almost 1,000 words of todays goal were edits)

SPECIAL BONUS CONTINUED

11: Name

They talk casually about what they should name the puppy until he suggests Byron; something about the way he says it makes her wonder if he lost someone by that name.

12: Sensual

She isn't sensual in the conventional sense, that of flirting and moving in provocative ways or taking unusual pleasure in unlikely things; it's when she concentrates on her tasks and smiles that easy smile that she's at her most attractive.

13: Death

Death is so close that she can actually taste it, a coppery tang in her mouth; she wants to cry out to him but she can only manage a pained gurgle.

14: Sex

They're lying on the rug again, panting, drenched with sweat and warm with afterglow; he makes a mental note to ask her to wear the festival dress again when his birthday comes.

15: Touch

It's just a tiny touch, a brush of her fingers against his; he wraps his hand almost desperately around her own, holding on as if his life depended on it.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

ANNOUNCEMENT

When I hit 50,000 words... I will not be continuing this particular iteration of the novel. While it's been a blast to write, the characters have taken over and utterly destroyed the carefully crafted plot that I had, and there is no way to get back to it. I may work on polishing and editing Part 1 into a sort of novella, but Part 2 is gone. I'll verify my wordcount and I'll collect my prizes, but this version of my novel is dead in the water.

What I will be doing:

* I will be sending out what actually got written to anyone who wants to read it. I do believe that Part 1 is salvagable, but I need to start this novel over.
    * Part 1 will eventually get turned into a novella or serial, and I'll maybe even try to sell it to a magazine or website or somthing.
    * I will restart the novel. I won't count any of the wordcount of the new novel towards the NaNo, because I'll need to lower my writing speed and spend a little more time planning each scene. I am seriously burnt out right now.
    * I'm going to take a few days off to give my brain time to wind down.
    * I will post the last few of the completed '1 Sentance' entries tomorrow.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sounds like a plan, Xiao; and I for one, would love to read what you've done.

5. stylex

stylex Member

I'm not angry, and I don't want to war.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I also love to read what you have done. Congratulations that your novel is almost ready!

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

You really didn't burn out. Certainly proved me wrong.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I can safely say that I have been utterly exhausted the last few days. :-( Writing that many words so quickly after not writing for the better part of a year was not the smartest idea I've ever had. On the upside, my writer's block has been well and truly killed.

I'll start a new thread later to discuss and display what I'm working on for the second iteration. I'll also be asking for minor characters and stuff, but give me a few days.

9. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

I completely understand what you mean. My characters end up hijacking my writing alll the time.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Pardon my thread derailment, but who the fuck're you?

11. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

My identity is not relevant to my message.

And that's enough fauxlosophy for one post. ^_^

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You're a writer, Ramidel? Then yeah, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Blasted Elenor, hijacking the damn story from page 1...

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I tend to get too wrapped up in character development to notice that my plot still hasn't progressed. Then I take note and launch the story a few yards in the right direction, but by then it's too late and the characters have already moored the story in its own infancy.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

SPECIAL BONUS FINAL INSTALLMENT!

These are the last few of the '1 Sentance' entries that I finished. I probably should have done these before I started writing, but neither of the characters existed then...

16: Weakness

He discovers how much she hates admitting her own weaknesses when she catches the cold thats making its way around town; she refuses to sit still and just recover, and he winds up asking her to keep watch on the pregnant cat just to make her sit down for a few hours.

17: Tears

It's such a stupid little thing to cry over, just a cracked vial, but it's the last straw; he comes running in and pulls her close to him so that she can hear his heart beating, and the reassuring sound manages to calm her down in a way that words never could.

18: Speed

The puppy runs frantically back and forth across the yard, chasing the fluttering ribbon in her hair as the wind tugs at it; he can't help but laugh when she tugs it free and waves it about, causing the little fellow to almost fall over his own tail in his excitement.

19: Wind

The wind shifts, dragging leaves across the lawn, and she manages to snatch one out of the air with a lazy action; it's almost the same colour as his hair so she tucks it behind his ear, laughing when he gives her a wide-eyed and confused look.

20: Freedom

In his own country, he was constantly tied down by responsibility and demands upon his powers, but in New Haven people didn't even seem to notice his ability; on the rare occasions that he stops to think about the price of his freedom he wants to weep at the pain of it, and she holds him wordlessly until the terrible shaking fades.

21: Life

Bringing life into the world is sometimes very hard she thinks as she eases the first puppy free, fingers trembling with fear; she doesn't want to lose a life, and she has the feeling that the man whispering reassurances into the mother's ear would be shattered if she did.

22: Jealousy

The young man is handsome and she's so obviously happy to see him that it kills him inside; he's never known the bitter taste of jealousy quite like this before.

23: Hands

Sometimes his hands fascinate her; his touch is almost feather-like as his fingers trace the intertwining lines of runes down her back.

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You better already have me on the list of readers or I'll pee on the carpet. :D

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Send one my way too, I'm being subject to peer pressure here.

18. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Heh, I thought we all were on the list. I know I want to read that.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Anyone who wants to read, please PM me an email address over the next couple of days so I can start sending it out.

Our Host!